Meze Empyrean one of the best sounding headphones

Of course it’s serious money
If someone decides to pull the trigger - fine.
I think it is worth it after I had a 30 Minute listening session
The r&d(this 2way driver is new on the market) plus build quality and of course the luxurious extra 1000 for entering the club of High end…
I would not get my wifes ok but maybe some time later a used one under 1800…
It’s not only the soundquality… the comfort is even better than Mr Speakers - who I always thought is not beatable… the design is so cool… the box… 2 pads. …
Cables…
Focals case is 149 and the pads are 200 and more- for example
At the moment I really scratch my head for the Aoelus money, after spending over 3k Euro in last year for audio (DACs, Amp, mobile DAC/Amps, IEMs, headphones, speakers and custom cables)

I admit when I saw $1000+ headphones, I immediately thought snake oil…but having heard the HFM Arya, HE-1000 v2 and the Focal Stellia, I can assure you, it is not snake oil, there are headphones that sound so good they’re worth money.

keep in mind a few things though. you are paying for the R&D that went into engineering these and. you are paying for the materials…keep in mind that these headphones are not massed produced, so they don’t buy the materials to make these at volume rates. you likely don’t realize what goes into the engineering and development of these. considerations on weight, the metals and plastics used, the shapes, the machining so the click stop on the headband works like a gear and so forth. all those tiny and tasteful touches actually do cost an arm and a leg.

another thing to keep in mind is the cost of a stereo system that would sound as good as something like a Focal Stellia or Stax L700. we’re talking 5 or 6 digits. so in reality, you are getting quite the bargain!

4 Likes

The perfect example: I listened to the Empyrean out of Cayin N8 DAP in tube mode
Lots of asian audiophiles don’t have the space for a nice speaker setup or are not allowed to use it in a Apartment. The asian market is far more into IEMs and headphones. The big crowded citys force them into it.
So what marzipan sayed - absolutely. 5k for a DAP + 1 headphone is High End bargain
The Meze might produce sound worth 1500 and is build like 6k, some one said.

Take a look at the Rinaro Driver, its a piece of art. They machine cut an aluminum block to make the housing for the drivers. Everything about this headphone is well thought out, Well engineered and to top it off it has a great end game sound that matches the utopias. There is not much to pick at except the price point.

The Empyrean would be cheaper if it didn’t involve two different companies.

1 Like

It was hard to get a nice seal on the test head so i had to hack it and use a rubber band. Just FYI

2 Likes

Between work and home I have headphones on 6-10 hours a day. I have about 15 pairs ranging from $20 Koss’s up to $1300-ish LCD-XCs and Focal Clears in the same range with the vast majority falling in the $300-$600 range. There are things I like about each one, and things I don’t. Combined with DACs, amps, and DAPs, I’ve easily spent over $10k in the past 3-4 years chasing the sound I was looking for. I can get there sometimes with the gear I have, but there is usually a tradeoff. About a year ago I started considering flagship headphones, where I never would have entertained the idea before. I totally get the reservations someone would have spending that kind of money, but most people I know don’t or can’t use headphones as much as I do. I’m alone in my office area 6 hours a day, and at home I have a terrible listening room for a decent speaker setup-lots of corners, low ceilings, etc. I wouldn’t spend this kind of money on headphones if I hadn’t heard them before and knew I loved the sound and comfort for extended periods of time. Most of my friends use earbuds for phone calls or when they are at the gym, and don’t really care about sound quality. They think I’m crazy. I’m ok with that. I don’t make enough money to make a purchase like this on a whim, and wouldn’t have chosen these headphones without a lot of thought and cost vs. value consideration.

6 Likes

I’ve heard of people refinancing their homes for audio gear.

He doesn’t look famous.

7 Likes

I’ve never seen that man in my life

5 Likes

Meze Empyrean Black Copper is on the way

7 Likes

Looks pretty sweet

2 Likes

I meant it will be available in short time- not that I have ordered

2 Likes

These headphones have been ranked #1 on the Master Switch website for best high end headphones for a long time. the technology that went into the drivers intrigue me. I would love to hear them. Are they dark headphones?

Darker than some of the higher end headphones actually, but not in a bad way whatsoever

1 Like

Just received my copper version and they look real good.

4 Likes

May you give us some pictures?

1 Like

Yes! (Please) :grin:

yeah when my kid gives me my phone back.

3 Likes

They updated their website with the copper option and it looks phenomenal.

1 Like