šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT1990

I can see this, I have heard a 1990 with a decent amount of eq and it kinda lost itā€™s soundstage and imaging prowess

Thank you- still play around with it
Quite new to EQ and try thingsā€¦ let it play and try furtherā€¦ after a few days this came out

You have to know the dekoni elite velours pads changed the mids by a noticable amount vs analytical pads

In theory, each person would have to learn where his ear canal resonances are and EQ around them. Wonder if one could use that in reverse? Letā€™s say a headphone that one or more reviewers say has a good soundstage and good imaging doesnā€™t have that to someone owning a pair. Perhaps the owner could use EQ to boost where his ear canal resonances are and so make that headphone perform better.

Yes, according to DIY-Audio/Solderdudeā€™s measurements those Dekoni pads should remove both the 4-5 kHz drop and the 7-9 kHz peak all by themselves. If only Dekoni did a pad that removed the mud region bloat your EQ looks like it should nicely take out.

1 Like

You could ask the dekoni guy nicely lol @PushFaderCashCheck

LOL. First Iā€™d have to get over a certain negativity I have toward them, grin. From something on their web site I strongly suspect they have Tyllā€™s measurement rig and are now using it flat-plate.

(Thatā€™s just tongue-in-cheek silliness. Weā€™re getting better measurements now from Oratory1990, Crinacle, and Rtings.)

2 Likes

Well I was looking forward to getting these headphones; however, the price jumped up 10 percent in the past couple days. $888.00 Canadian seems too steep. Iā€™m very depressed.

Yes, thatā€™s definitely more than I would want to pay. Presumably, it reflects the Canadian dollar drop. I got mine as Amazon open box and itā€™s quite common to see them listed used at $500 on Canuck Audio Mart (although none there right now). That said, this popped up when I searched on Google ($799Cdn):

Thanks for the information. I went on that website and when you checkout its around 850. Iā€™m just going to wait for the border to open and drive down and grab one. If I become impatient then Iā€™ll just grab the hd660s. Also Amazon has an amazing exchange policy and it makes it simple to purchase.

I have found my two perfect headphones.

9 Likes

Pretty sweet, glad you are liking them :+1:

1 Like

Those both have such a different sound from each other. Truly the ideal complement to each other for varying open backed headphones. Very nice.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m thinking just based off of everything Iā€™ve heard about both of those.

Just picked up a pair of the dt1990s. Also picked up a Schiit Heresy and Modi 3 to drive it, just waiting on the cables for it which come Monday. In the meantime I have been driving them from my Blue Yeti as it has a built-in amp and they sound pretty good off of it, but Iā€™m sure the Schiit stack will make them shine even more.

So far really liking the A-pads, though my ears do touch the driver portion inside. Soft enough there hasnā€™t been any discomfort. My old pair of headphones had an earpad collapse so it really rubbed my ear wrong and left a scab after long use. Especially as of late Iā€™m at my desk a LOT working, gaming, and just hanging out, so comfortable headphones were definitely top priority for me. So far these arenā€™t bad, and the clamp force isnā€™t unbearable.

Very excited to get these hooked up to the Schiit stack! I was a little unsure of the purchase but seeing the overall positive reviews from users here makes me feel like I made a good choice.

7 Likes

My DT1990 is my daily driver and a very good one; I use it for everything and I have never been dissatisfied with them. HPā€™s may come and go, but my DT1990 will always stay.

Good choice :+1:t3:

5 Likes

I put the balanced pads on my dt880 and they sound like baby dt1990. Iā€™m honestly surprised by how close they sound.

Listening to the Fight Club soundtrack right now on 1990s, and Iā€™m mad I didnā€™t get to snag more than one pair of these while NewEgg had them for $409. Iā€™ve heard this album hundreds of time, but itā€™s just mesmerizing on these headphones.

2 Likes

Update: these sound so good on the schiit stack. Much better than running through my yeti or my mobo. Love these cans

Well looks like the price dropped significantly. It went from $888.00 cdn to $680.00 cdn. So I purchased them off Amazon. Now im looking for a DAC and Amp to go with my new headphones. Does anyone have any recommendations not looking to spend a lot. The Schmitt Magni 3 is $300.00 and the topping A50 is $230.00. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

The Magni 3 is $300? Thatā€™s rough. Is the Asgard 3 $600? I would have recommended investing extra in thatā€” but not at that price.