šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT1990

WOW, this is some really expensive gaming Experience :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I gotta say gaming on the warwick is very very interesting lol. IDK though I do play some games with the shangri la but I think the amp I have them on is more for music. But I donā€™t really play games anymore anyway

Yep, :+1: :fist_right::fist_left:

2 Likes

Haha thanks. I love my hd800S. Just hope they donā€™t get forgotten once the Verite come.

Dt1990s are good for gaming, but Koss 95x are better IMO for those looking for a detailed competitive edge. For fun neither walloped me with bass for explosions so they are lesser in that regard. Again all opinions of mine.

1 Like

Even with the balanced pads?

The bass is good, its just not overpowering, It will be fine for most enjoyment, but Iā€™m hoping for something a little extra now. 1990s are jack of all trades, they are good at everything, but not great at anything IMO. Thats why I picked them up, they are a safe pick for sure.

1 Like

If you can handle the 8.5peak they are fine for the money

They are pretty great for soundstage and imaging at the price imo, really good if you crave an exciting imaging and soundstage

1 Like

You are correct and I forgot to mention those, I 100% agree that the Soundstage and Imaging are great on them, as I love of using them for gaming. With Dirac they get crazy for sounding like speakers as their forward depth increases a lot in my opinion so good for movies too etc.

2 Likes

So after the time with the Dekoni pads is it worth it? I have the hybrids and still use the others more due to my preference with the headphone. I was looking and the velours as I just ran into the articles etc.

with the dekoni elite velours itā€™s not the same hf
however after a bit of breaking in the pads itā€™s actually not bad
The percieved soundstage got wider again
As I switched from analytical to the dekoni it was like night and day
now I am back on the analytical pads and plan on getting a tube amp

2 Likes

@M0N Iā€™m really itching to rip the bandaid and grab the 1990, theyā€™re cheaper in Europe. But somebody said the mids are recessed. Iā€™m not a basshead, Iā€™m a midhead, into vocals and natural sounding instruments, how are the mids on these?

Iā€™d consider the Elex, but theyā€™re much more expensive when buying from Europe.

TL;DR looking for other midheads, everybody seems to focus on bass and/or detail :smiley:

I love mids too. I thought that the 1990 was neutral or W shaped. if so it would not be recessed.

Technically, the 1990s are mildly mids recessed. They come with two sets of ear pads, balanced with a somewhat strong bass hump, and analytical with a weak bass hump. But even the analytical padsā€™ elevation extends to the soprano, giving the vocal range a slight downward tilt from basso to soprano.

Havenā€™t heard Elex, but they certainly measure much closer to neutral with a nicely shaped mid-range.

1 Like

I have the Elex and its great, nice mids

1 Like

How does the Beyer t1 gen 2 stack up against the 1990 and Elex?

It doesnt lol. not a very good headphone. especially for the price.

1 Like

Not a deal-breaker, but thatā€™s disappointing
The only headphone Iā€™ve ever heard people praising specifically for the mids is the AKG 712 Pro, but Iā€™m guessing the 1990 beat those any day.

The Elex may be great but the price and the geography puts them out of range for me :smiley:

Iā€™ve only heard the 1990s out of all youā€™ve been referencing. For me theyā€™re wonderful, but I use a simple EQ correction to take out that slight upper bass to lower mids bloat.

I suspect relatively few on this forum have heard the T1s. William Murdock is working on a review of them but did do a first impressions, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD6Dsb132dQ. (Iā€™m becoming very impressed with how clearly he can describe things and the maturity+balance of his perspective.)

The obvious vocal-centric headphones are the HD 6 series.