šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT1990

I believe Drop is not allowed to sell the Elex in Europe anyway. (Unless someone buys them for you in the US and sends themā€¦)

1 Like

Super long shot but can you find a used focal clear in something you can afford?

Didnā€™t get that from the review tbhā€¦I reckon the T1 drive by a good tube amp would be banging.

@olinko just be aware that you need to budget for the RNHP also that you will eventually want to buy.

1 Like

Lol, thatā€™s later on

Not sure what the joke is, but the budget has been building up specifically for a SP200 + the (upcoming) SU-9 [I figured, if Iā€™m getting the SU-8, might as well wait for the newest revision] and a great ~$500 headphone.

Not sure what the story is with Focal, Iā€™m just very annoyed at Drop. Personally, Iā€™d buy everything from China just to boycott the US-based Hi-Fi market.

Maybe the Blon B20 or the Sivga PII is a ā€œmidsā€ optionā€¦? :smiley:

1 Like

They have recessed mids so idk about that lol

Goddammit. Is there no love for MOST of the audible frequency range? :frowning:

How about you make a new thread and we can work it out there lol (so we donā€™t clog this one up)

My bad, sorry. :slight_smile:
Back to the 1990 :heart:

Worked out a EQ for the 1990s
tamed the 8.5 peak a touch

used the Dekoni elite velours pads

It sounds ok.

Lost the feeling of wide stage and imaging is somehow diffused now

So Iā€™m going to try the original analytical pads with a new EQ this weekend

4 Likes

Fascinating. Iā€™d have thought the straight slope down from 1 kHz to 5.5 kHz would ruin the upper mids. If you used the separate treble control to introduce your treble shelf, that should free up one of your 5 EQ bands to do a notch at 7-9 kHz.

My soundstage & imaging perception has been toast for a while now due to some hearing issues. But a young friend with good ears was blown away by the 1990ā€™s s&i capabilities. So I switched on EQ to make them neutral, including notching out the 7-9 peak. His reaction was vehement: that EQ destroyed the very s&i that he was grooving on. Will be interested if you find the same thing. Oratory1990 and Rtings both say there is a region around 9 to 10 kHz that is important for sound localization but varies with the individual, so you might experiment with that as well.

I can see this, I have heard a 1990 with a decent amount of eq and it kinda lost itā€™s soundstage and imaging prowess

Thank you- still play around with it
Quite new to EQ and try thingsā€¦ let it play and try furtherā€¦ after a few days this came out

You have to know the dekoni elite velours pads changed the mids by a noticable amount vs analytical pads

In theory, each person would have to learn where his ear canal resonances are and EQ around them. Wonder if one could use that in reverse? Letā€™s say a headphone that one or more reviewers say has a good soundstage and good imaging doesnā€™t have that to someone owning a pair. Perhaps the owner could use EQ to boost where his ear canal resonances are and so make that headphone perform better.

Yes, according to DIY-Audio/Solderdudeā€™s measurements those Dekoni pads should remove both the 4-5 kHz drop and the 7-9 kHz peak all by themselves. If only Dekoni did a pad that removed the mud region bloat your EQ looks like it should nicely take out.

1 Like

You could ask the dekoni guy nicely lol @PushFaderCashCheck

LOL. First Iā€™d have to get over a certain negativity I have toward them, grin. From something on their web site I strongly suspect they have Tyllā€™s measurement rig and are now using it flat-plate.

(Thatā€™s just tongue-in-cheek silliness. Weā€™re getting better measurements now from Oratory1990, Crinacle, and Rtings.)

2 Likes

Well I was looking forward to getting these headphones; however, the price jumped up 10 percent in the past couple days. $888.00 Canadian seems too steep. Iā€™m very depressed.

Yes, thatā€™s definitely more than I would want to pay. Presumably, it reflects the Canadian dollar drop. I got mine as Amazon open box and itā€™s quite common to see them listed used at $500 on Canuck Audio Mart (although none there right now). That said, this popped up when I searched on Google ($799Cdn):