▶ Micca RB42

https://www.amazon.com/Crown-XLi800-Two-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00AR0A3V4 ?

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-KM750-BEHRINGER-Black/dp/B01M3RHY5K/ ?

A bit large for a desktop set up, those are amazing amps though. I need something like the A-100 or the SA-98e in terms of size. But I could just be wanting to have my cake and eat it too

I hope not. The mesh cover seems to be shoddily made too

I had these in my game room hooked up to the BasX A-100 and it had more than enough juice to make these sound really good. But I was getting a weird reflection and am limited in my placement so I decided to move these to my desk and replace my old Bose Companion speakers. I have the Topping D30/A30 stack and thought I’d round out the stack with the PA-3. The PA-3 can power these speakers but not as effortlessly as the Emotiva. Even near field I am cranking the volume pot anywhere to between 1 and 3. I do not listen to my music loud so that tells you a little bit. The RB-42 has impressive bass for such a small speaker and with the PA-3 I found the bass response to be less than with the Emotiva.

I’ve driven the RB-42’s with a PS Audio Sprout 100, Emotiva BasX A-100, and the Topping PA-3. That happens to be the order of preference as well. It sounds decent through the PA-3 but I’d buy the Emotiva if you can. It sounds a lot better.

I’m going to revise my earlier statement. Again it was a placement issue. After reassessing my setup, and moving the RB42’s down to the desktop (they had been horizontal on a shelf) I think the PA3 is actually pretty adequate. The Emotiva still sounds better but for near field the RB42’s sound pretty darn good through the PA3.

These speakers do seem to be sensitive to placement, but the PA3 works great for near field. If you’re going to try to use these to fill a room I’d recommend something more robust. This’ll do it, but only just and when you’re using a Class D amp at, or nearing, it’s limits you introduce distortion. Once I took these down and put them on the desktop (angled up on the Micca foam isolation stands designed for the MB42’s) they really sounded much better.

These arrived today with a Topping MX3, sounds good to me. 10/10 would buy again.

1 Like

Just ordered a set these will be the first set I’ve actually spent money on as before this I’ve been using 2 sets of free old Logitech speakers

3 Likes

Got them in and they sound fucking amazing. Really amazed with how good imaging is.

1 Like

they’re back guys, now $20 more :joy:

I’m pretty set on getting these as my entry into proper speakers and I’ve settled on the SMSL SA-98e for the amp. However I need to know if I can use my Micca origin+ as a pre-amp and if I may have any issues with this setup, If anyone could offer some help with this i’d really appreciate it.

If anyone has any alternatives for the amp however, feel free to make a suggestion.
Thank you.

This is out of stock, :frowning:

In stock in Canada last time I checked.

I am from Nepal (Asia), and its $193 shipping only so I think I will wait to be in US, UK or Australia from there I have friends.

Ended up w SMSL AD18, no regtrets thanks hi fi guides! just note that cranking the volume avove 48 we can hear some distortion but theres a rare ocacision we turn the volume up that high, been using them for 3 months now hooked w micca cables

What’s a good amp for the RB42s? I plan on using the SMSL SU-8 DAC, just hard to find an amp that doesn’t distort at higher volumes or overheats.

Was looking into the SMSL SP200 but not sure if this headphone amp can power the speakers

Well what size of the amp and budget are you looking at?

The sp200 could not power speakers

I’m looking for a desk-fitted amp that’s under $400. A few recommendations based on listening experience would be great!

While this might not be super desk friendly, the denon pma 600ne is really good for the price, got to hear it and it was a very good amp

If you wanted something very small but still powerful, the topping pa3 fits the bill (works fine for a desk setup for the rb42)

1 Like

How about SMSL or Emotivas?

For smsl, imo they don’t really have a good speaker amp that’s powerful enough for the rb42 imo. Emotiva has their basx a100 which is great (and with the jumpers removed a very powerful headphone amp) and I can’t believe I forgot to mention it lol. If you wanted more power, you could get the A150 and either control the volume from the su8 or buy a small monitor volume controller