▶ Micca RB42

This is the official thread for the Micca RB42. This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Passive
  • XXΩ
  • A - Build Quality

:red_circle: HifiGuides Amazon link

Reviews…

Z Reviews

4 Likes

“over ear”
Can’t wait until that gets explained

So what’s the amp equivalent for this? I’d say I wanted to set these babies (yes they’ll be here on Tuesday) as “sound bar” for bedroom tv… SMSL AD18?

Ad18 isn’t the worst option. 80wpc might be a bare minimum

2 Likes

How about the amp for a desktop set up? got rb’s to mount a sound bar on the wall. I’m new to this wolrd and got this speakers w my first payment

1 Like

Topping MX3 is a relatively low power but HIGH CLEANLINESS amp I reviewed. Look that up.

2 Likes

I saw it, we got a fancy board on the PC, do I get away with just a nice amp?

Would still look into an external dac or, in your case, an external dac/amp. End of the day, pc audio is still pc audio.

Anybody know of a powered alternative to these? Considering these need more than 80wpc to properly run, i’d rather not have to find an amp for them.
By alternative I mean something that sounds just as good for around 50 to 80 bucks more.

The SMSL SA-98E is what’s powering my set, and it’s definitely enough power. At 8 o’ clock, it will output 70dB (REW pink nosie, 3 feet). The RB42’s are exceptional for the price, but in my opinion they need room to breath and a 20-500Hz EQ using REW to really shine. I’m not using them for near field listening.

My current setup is miniDSP 2x4 HD > SMSL SA-98E > Micca RB42’s.

3 Likes

Can anyone recommend a suitable wall mount for these speakers? I’d like to get them up off my desk as they take up a lot more space than what they’re replacing (satellites from a Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speaker set I’ve had for 10 years or so). The curved tops and bottoms rule out the side-to-side clamping mechanism that most mounts use. I’d prefer a mount with pan/tilt adjustment.

Don’t know of any universal wall mount that doesn’t use the side to side clamping system, so here’s my idea:

1. Get these: https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clamping-Bookshelf-Surrounding-MS56B/dp/B000X9O8SI/ref=sr_1_4?crid=IGZVUN57LC6M&keywords=speaker+wall+mount&qid=1559283392&s=gateway&sprefix=speaker+wall+%2Caps%2C204&sr=8-4
  2. Get a piece of wood(fence board or thin plywood), cut to about 3-4 inches wide and 5-6 inches tall and attach nonslip furniture pads
  3. Notice that the L part of the mount have screw holes and screw your wood to that.
  4. The mount should now be able to hold the micca’s(which have officialy been removed from amazon, so i can’t actually get the dimensions for them; THANKS ZEOS, but these can extend to 11 inches so they should be able to fit as long as you don’t use 2x4’s for the extenders)
1 Like

I’ve tried these speakers on both the SMSL AD-18 and mx3. Although I prefer the mx3 for lots of reasons I didn’t think It drove these particular speakers enough.

1 Like

I used to have self powered speakers but after 3 years the right speaker died on me so I want to try to get passive speakers for my desk setup. I am getting the RB42 once the second shipment is released. Would a combination of smsl 100 and LOXJIE A 10 be a good setup?

EDIT: I would also like to know if any tee amp for 50wpc be enough to expand the full potential of the speakers? Like any of the micca or smsl desktop amps.

Picked up a set of these on amazeAzon based on the Z review… very pleased and for the intro price, such a deal. They do need some power, have them plugged into the AVR atm, but really want to put them on my desk and of course no amount of cajoling with/to/on the PC works worth a flip.

Joined here to read the stuff about 'em, and now looking into the dac-amps y’all have been mentioning.

morasuru — Look at Zeos’ ZReviews Fluance Ai40 on YouTube.

1 Like

thanks for the recommendation. Didn’t actually consider this, but had it saved on amazon :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. I have a bid on a set of rockville APM6b; gonna see how that turns out first.

Apparently the powered JBL One Series 104s are really good with a 4.5 inch woofer and a coaxial driver design, and are similar in size and price to the RB42s. Zeos should do a review of these.
That said, the RB42s are reported to work really well with the new Dayton Audio DTA-PRO amp/dac, though probably more so for desktop use since it’s 50W per channel.

Want them but they will be €200 before I get them here in Europe :frowning:

I’m in the same boat (UK).

Still tempted to swallow the costs when they come back available. Any sign or news of them yet? They said mid to late June.