šŸ”¶ MiM Audio Dark Magician

Congrats on the buy!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I am still!

I do personally own a U12T too and even though I do love it too, I find myself listening to the Dark Magician more. Ha ha.

No joke. I have maybe 15 IEMs and earbuds and I try my best to rotate through them (Sony EX800st and LBBs are the ones Iā€™m using today). I do believe the Dark Magician spends the most time in my ears out of all of them.

Now fair disclaimer I consider myself an unabashed Dark Magician shill.

Regarding tips, I do find that there is a personal component involved with what would sound the best.

Due to its size and short nozzles there might be a fit issue for some like @rattlingblanketwoman thus if you have had issues with fitting small IEMs with short nozzles maybe some longer double flange or triple flange tips may help?

Fortunately, afaik, I have only encountered two people with fit issues.

My personal fav tips with the DM are the Final E tips and xelastics although I have settled on the Xelastics because they are easier to put on and shift backwards to cover the vent if I wanted extra bass.

3 Likes

THANK YOU for the recommendations on tips! Ive only ever purchased Comply memory foam tips, and have had mixed results depending on what I put them on.

I have a great hifi stereo(Marantz Series 30 + SACD 30n + Klipsch RP8000F pair) at home, but have just begun my IEM and headphone journey. Ive had a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1990s, which are fantastic but imperfect and require EQ (Realphones) to correct, and I have 4 earbuds - not really IEMs.

Ive got a pair of older Klipsch x10 (sibilant and shouty, not enough bass), Klipsch T5 II (fall out of ears constantly, sound decent but could be more forward, clear, and bass could be more precise), and some crappy AKG earbuds I picked up for free with a phone. :laughing: Iā€™ve got a TC44B min DAC for portable, and use the Marantz SACD 30n DAC for bedroom listening. I may pick up another higher quality mobile or desktop DAC at some point.

Now it is time for real IEMs! Im really glad I found this forum, which I found while searching for anything I could find on the Dark Magician. Sooo excited to put hands on these!!

2 Likes

Welcome to HFGF :smiley:

Cool hope you enjoy them please do give your thoughts on this set when it arrives :+1:

Man tips are a make or break for any setā€¦Generally silicone are the way to go but ultimately a good snug fit with a solid seal is where it starts, without that a Ā£4k set will sound mehā€¦but ultimately itā€™s personal preference like everything in this hobby lolā€¦personally I use Spin fit CP145, JVC Spiral Dotā€™s and my fav Sony EPEX10Aā€™s but ymmv :+1:

2 Likes

Right on, and thank you!! a/v is my thing, and Iā€™ve been super passionate about it all since the late 90s, but lacked the funds to really make it all happen. My last good hifi was a Nakamichi CD70z with Nakamichi tweets and mids + an alumapro custom sub/box in my truck. Then I sold that truckā€¦ and DECADES passed and I had no hifi. It was a sad, dark age. :rofl:

I will definitely come back to this thread with feedback from the Dark Magician, and I will use them with stock tips first. Ill see if any of my other fit issues (with klipsch mainly) show up with the DM, and I will be talking about whether or not I can take walks with them in my ears. I have one ear canal that is slightly larger than the other, lol, so I wind up having to adjust the left more than the right. I cant wait to get these in my hands and share the experience!!

3 Likes

Best DD you can buy.
ā€œBestā€ meaning faithful reproduction.
Everything sounds the way it is supposed to. :beers:

8 Likes

Thereā€™s nothing wrong in using different sizes depending on the side. That can help with fit/comfort and sound :wink:

1 Like

Comments like this make me super excited to get my hands on these!!! Cant wait!! Ill be patient through chinese new year and the 1-2 months they take to build and ship, but Iā€™m seriously on pins and needles. Cant wait to try them on various DACs and devices, and I will probably play a game on them here and there.

3 Likes

Mike dropping the MIC

6 Likes

Precog wasnā€™t that impressed with DM 5/10 :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Pfft what does he know anyways

My same words exactly. DM is insane.

To all the technoheads that love a good clean bass with insane texture, this it it. This is the king DD. You donā€™t keep this quiet and enjoy some whispering, you crank it up and you party.

Iā€™m going a massive trip nostalgia atm with DM and this:

Itā€™s like im back into a techno club, itā€™s 8 A.M., drunk, cig on my hand, and nothing else mattered. I miss colege days.

To the guys that want the more bass boosted, very warm, 40ĀŗC underground party, Xenns UP is more up your alley.

Music is all that matters, and when it takes you a nostalgia journey, itā€™s priceless. Even if you enjoying a cheap set.

6 Likes

The Dark Magician has in a matter of weeks gone from unknown to the new "King of the Hill " in the single DD world.

The DM is an earphone that I believe gets its inspiration, from what has been the reference under 300usd for a single DD.
Iā€™m talking of course of the Tanchjim Oxygen, that over the last 3 years ,has carved its place well in what a properly tuned DD should be.

Much like the Blon 03 that shook the budget IEM market, the Oxygen is an astonishingly good IEM, with a tonality, timbre and mid reproduction that is borderline flawless when you consider itā€™s all done with one driver.

The DM had taken that base and Improved upon it.
Firstly the bass is mainly mid-bass oriented and just slightly above neutral. And as one might imagine with this type of tuning, the transition into the mids is exemplary, bringing texture and bass detail to another level.
Itā€™s not without its flaws, and I would have liked a little more quantity, just enough to bring a little extra weight to some musical genres and render male voices at least to me as perfect as the Oxygen does it.

Next the midrange of the DM is its strength to my ears.
Itā€™s what caught my attention when I first listened to it, itā€™s open, huge, 3D sounding, and full of detail.
This is the type of midrange you can listen to for hours without fatigue.

Finally the treble response of the DM I s again bordering perfection, letā€™s not forget this is a single DD, but the fact itā€™s around 4db lower than the Oxygen , makes it for some people resolve the problem of the extra brightness, basically thereā€™s no sibilance, energy levels are more coherent, so although there are occasions where you might want to falter it, cymbals sometimes are a little fuzzy, I remind you all this is a single DD.

With regards to technicalities the DM is very goodā€¦detailā€¦ ultimate detail if again we remember itā€™s a single DD, soundstage excellent, Imaging and layering impressive , detail retrival crazy good.

Overall if what you want is a super capable single DD with regards to texture, details, female vocal reproduction, the DM ticks the right boxes, if you want something with a warmer tonality, with that extra bass weight that makes things sound not as clinical then the Oxygen is still the one.

There is one more suprise " contender ", the Moondrop Kato, yes you read that right, the Kato is capable of bringing together some of the positive characteristics of the Oxygen and DM and offer it at a price of around 200usd, which brings me to the cost of the DM.

At 600usd it finds some very stiff competition , the likes of SHUOER EJ07m, AĆ¼R Audio Neon, Softears RSV and a few others that can I my opinion bring to the table the same as the DM and also give a sense of better value for money.
Of course that is relativeā€¦one pays what one beliefs something is worth and for me the DM should be a earphone of 350 to 400 USD at most.

11 Likes

Hi Tony, nice to meet you on hifiguides. Watching your video now. The DM driver model seems to be the same as the one in the O2, Hana 2021 and the Olina. Interesting.

4 Likes

Glad you liked it :love_you_gesture:

EJ next? :grimacing:

2 Likes

OlĆ” amigo and kia ora! Welcome - big fan of your work on YouTube. Nice shout-out to @nymz :heart:

2 Likes

E eu pensei que DM era um pouco caro, mas provavelmente vale a pena! Muito boa revisĆ£o. :sunglasses:

1 Like

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s actually well translated to brazilian portuguese :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I donā€™t make any difference between Brazilian Portuguese and your Portuguese ā€¦ :rofl:

Tony sounds more South African/New Zealandā€™ish than Portuguese?

1 Like