miniDSP 2x4 HD vs miniDSP Flex?

So~ the hd measures like garbage and many complain about its dac sounding audibly terrible. Is the flex the answer to my issues with wanting a nanodigi due only to the crud 2x4 hd dac? I wouldn’t mind running the internal dac of the flex if it measures up to $150 dacs. Anyone know anything yet? At this point I’m kind of screwed if I can’t find a used nanodigi :/

From the posts I’m seeing, the DAC performance of the Flex should be more like the SHD which measured well. Still can’t find any actual reviews or third party measurements, though.

2 Likes

USB is up to 96/24 and optical 48/24 ?
appleTV 4k 2.2 would be awesome altenative to an AVR since appletv can only do 48/24 . Form factor and one remote to control everything.

According to the specs, the processing resolution is 32 bit/96 KhHz (48 KHz with Dirac). That means it will upsample or downsample anything that isn’t 96 Khz, just like the SHD series does. Specs also say it will take any input sample rate up to 216 KHz.

2 Likes

Good catch, if form factor isnt a concern an option would be an entry yamaha AVR.
Starting with V6A reason being yamahas YPAO will work up to 192/24 with preouts for L/R and sub out. Denon/marantz audyssey will downsample everything to 48/24.

So if you want to go audiophile and add external DAC with higher power amplifier. the yamaha will process 192/24 and for higher resolution using the pure direct feature will defeat internal processing and passthrough the external DAC via audio 2 input 10hz-100khz.

1 Like

I think it all depends on how much of your source material is higher than 96 Khz. For me, it’s probably about 0.5% and I’m skeptical if there’s an audible difference at those levels, anyway. On the other hand, I think proper stereo bass management and Dirac Live can actually make up for much greater deficiencies in your speakers or room.

2 Likes

Apple music the eagals desporado 192/24 couldnt tell if it was 192/24 but i did notice right away hiss. Not my amp tried other tracks no hiss.

Desperado is an analog recording from 1973. The hiss is in the masters. High bitrate won’t change that.

Tape had hiss ? I cant remember. How do we know its the master ?

Analog tape has hiss. All analog masters have hiss.

1 Like

Good to know, so its like film grain on catalog movies.

1 Like

That’s an excellent analogy. Yes.

1 Like

can again appreciate the hi-res tracks now that i understand what im hearing. :slightly_smiling_face::+1: