MMX 300, Tygr 300r or Modhouse Argon MK3

There some but,for the price its pretty much the best bang-for-your-buck also Xbass is awesome :smiley:
and if you ever decided to upgrade the IFI zen Dac has a balanced out which is a nice bonus (i have the IFI stack DAC + Can, its awesome)

1 Like

Sounds good, Quite a subjective question but which one do you think is the better headphone, the Zeus or the Tygr?

Zeus, but the Tygr still has its place

1 Like

Awesome, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for answering my questions about the Zeus and Tygr’s, I was just wondering would you say the difference in sound quality between the two is negligible or quite noticeable?

No problem,
in most cases its not the “quality” of the sound its certain characteristics (there bad headphone but you’ll see reviewers bashing so you know to stay away).

Its more asking which flavor you like rather than which flavor is “better”

At the end of the day they all make sound its the tuning and how the sound present itself that gives the edge to one over the other, the use case is also a big factor in picking headphone. Now there certain aspects where one preforms better than the other but that doesnt mean its a good thing.

A good example is the Meze 99 some people love it some people hate it, because its a darker and warmer leaning headphone it sacrifices detail and resolution for being more forgiving and having more bass.

Same with with the Zeus it has very wide sound stage, good bass and is generally regarded as a very pleasurable and immersive headphone (also the comfort is great) though it is lacking certain areas like detailing which where the Tygr comes in. The Tygr has decent sound stage but not on the level of the Zeus, does better in details but you feel much more immersed in the sound with the Zeus.

2 Likes

yes they are, but there is always a pair to be bought either on hifi classifieds or on ebay.

I would recommend trying the Fostex TX-X00 for gaming to start with. Bass is really where its at with gaming if your not a competitive gamer in my mind. The TYGR do not hold a candle to any of my fostex or nighthawks when it comes to fun factor in gaming, not even close. What the TYGR brings is alot of detail in the minute sounds you hear in the background.

I could never put down the nighthawks for gaming, any random night I always feel fully satisfied with the nighthawks and the excitement it brings. The TYGR are just a nice addidtion to through into the mix, very very few and far between though.

This is a good choice, likely quite good for the budget you are working with.
I love my Argon’s, *(I have both the T60RP and the MK3 - I personally prefer the MK3) But the other poster is right, they do require power, and sometimes that can be a problem if you don’t have an amp that can really handle them.

The Zeus by comparison, is quite easy to drive, and sounds great.

If your budget is tight, always go for the best headphones you can get, then after that is done, worry about your amp, then last on the list is the DAC. But Headphones always come first.

The T60s are one of the reasons i decided to go for a Topping A90D :smiley:

1 Like

Yep! I just bought one of those myself. It hasn’t been delivered yet, but i’m looking forward to giving it a listen =-)

Zeos gushed all over the A90 Discrete in his review… so much waving of hands! I’ve been looking for a dedicated headphone amp for years that wasn’t crazy priced and could properly power argons. When I watched that video I knew I had to get it.

I couldn’t recommend that to the original poster though, just that amp would have blown out his budget.

It sound amazing, still havent decided which pads i like best on them, Full sheepskin has really punch bass but loses some of the detail and vocals arent as clear, Perforated sheepskin lacks the bass but sound better in almost any other way (i like outside the US pad options are a problem with most small vendor like ZMF shipping costs are just plain stupid)

1 Like

Ryan from Modhouse suggests the Suede pads with the T60 Argon’s. He just came out with a new pad that he ships with them, I suggest sending Modhouse Audio an email and see if he can sell you the pads.

I really like the Suede on my T60 Argon’s, I liked them so much I bought a spare set of pads just for the T60’s…

The MK3 Argon’s get the full Sheepskin though.

I got the stock T60s so Suede might not be the best choice also, shipping costs from smaller sellers are insane, when i ordered Hart audio cable i got shafted - for 90ish dollars of cable is paid around 60 just for shipping (not including tax), Fedex/DHL charge “special fees” , which is why i limit myself to mostly amazon because they show you everything in advance and no hidden fees (the one time that DHL tried to charge me i contacted amazon and they straighten them out)

You should strongly consider sending those to Ryan at ModHouse and turning them into T60RP Argon’s. Argon’s are amazing. Stock Fostex T60RP’s are good, but you will be truly impressed with what Mod House Audio can do. Ryan at Mod House is an audio wizard.

Or do you mean you just have the stock pads and already have Argon’s?

It will probably happen eventually but right now im pretty happy with them. There are also a few upcoming headphone that have peaked my interest im just waiting for reviews to drop (Meze 109 for example), so im limiting my spending

1 Like

Ahh, I get being careful with spending.
Zeos did a great comparison video.

Oops I posted the wrong one. Here’s the right video.

And that is up to date even though it’s from 2020 - Zeos still uses his T60RP’s regularly and compares them to a lot of stuff. They have a special place in his collection for a very good reason.

And I know how it can be difficult, I thought the same thing. Modded headphones? How much can a mod do?

A lot. An amazing heck of a lot. Ryan takes the stock Fostex T60’s and turns them into something truly exceptional.

I waited nearly 8 months for my first set of Argon’s, and they were totally worth the wait. I was so impressed I bought a second pair. That should say something.

1 Like

Oh! One last thing, if you get the mod done, you want the MHA Xenon Suede pads, and the Deerskin head-strap. It’s worth the extra cost. I wear headphones from 12-14 hours every day all day. The pads and that head-strap make it comfortable all day.

Drat, this conversation made me go look at stuff on Mod House Audio, and now I am placing another order with them for more pads and cables and such.

Ahhhhh! I shouldn’t have looked. I just spent another 200$ on cables, pads and adapters. I’m done, no more for now.