Mobile closed back headphones

Hello
Please help me choose or advice good headphones for travel by plane, train, car, bus (as a passenger of course :grinning:).
Price range: something around Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880 Edition or Sennheiser HD 599, may be a little bit more expensive, but not much.
Type: closed back over ear headphones to feel isolated from annoying and distracting surroundings, other passengers, noises. Just me and music.
Used with: smartphone, tablet (movies) and MP3 (planning to buy), so only as a mobile option.

I was noting such models as:

• Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32 Ohm
  • Beyerdynamic DT880 Edition
  • Sennheiser HD 569 (or 599)

There are probably some good options from Philips and HiFiMan or others.

At home I use Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro. They are open back though and no sound isolation at all.

Three options that come to mind is the Rode NTH-100 , Meze 99 Neo/Noir and AKG 361
Each has its own upsides, and a lot depends on your flavor of sound.

• NTH-100 has good comfort, cooling gel pads in a great for hotter days outside -
    two Known issues: larger ears have sometimes issue with the pad size and if readjust them reaptedly the headphone plastic can crack (I think i havent expereienced this so i cant say)

• Meze 99 Neo/Noir (minor differnces between the two) - very comfy, i personally like the suspension strap, very fun sound - warm with a lot of bass and darker sound (Sound get even better when you pad swap them). They are a bit bulky but they come with a case

• AKG 361 - nice balanced sound, very portable (they are fairly small and they fold up), i did find the headband a little less comfy but i added some additional padding to solve that

You also have the HIFIMAN R7DX but it doesnt seal as well as these and its Drop, meaning if something goes wrong its apain in the arse.

P.S. Also i would consider a good IEM, there some rea bangers and if you get good tips (like spinfit or dekoni) you can have agreat seal they are way more portable

1 Like