Modernization of a classic stereo amp

My dad has an old stereo amplifier (just 2.0, no Headphone-out and EQ-Knobs) and seeks to get some more modernized features. Currently he is using some Chinese aptx bluetooth to rca receiver and the analog inputs (vinyl, tape, cd).

So the main reason why he wants to upgrade is remote volume control for analog inputs and some little equalizing capabilities at least for adjustment of lows/highs.

Currently he plans to just buy an motorized volume knob with a remote and replace it by himself but from my perspective these things are way to expensive for what they here in germany (over 100€). Also I wonder about channel imbalance and overall quality

For my perspective it’s much more reasonable to buy a small and cheap AV-Receiver as preamp as it would also give digital inputs like hdmi and toslink.

What are your thoughts on this and do you have any recommendations for AV-Receivers around 200€?

1 Like

Entry atmos AVR good to go best bang for your buck no question.

That sounds very complicated. I have a vintage 2.0 system that is fully modernized (with a screen), a bit of a setup cost but it is super convenient.

External DAC (lots of options, I have topping d50s), mibox s and a $50 7" hdmi screen from Amazon.

When I want analog, digital side is ignored, and for digital I have a easy to use interface (as well as chromecast and bluetooth support for phones).

I can control the volume with the remote, but I always leave it max and use the knob manually.

Hello,
I have an old Harman Kardon at home from 1992 or so and it made more sense to connect a Dac as input than to tinker with it.
I have connected a Matrix Audio Ipro mini 2 s which is Bluethooth capable and control it with the Ipad with Tidal.

And it works perfectly and the sound has improved a lot, better than with Cd and the like.

I don’t use Eq on the iPad, but with a Samsung tablet or Android it should have its own Eq implemented.
Then you could reduce the treble.
The Dac I have is only available as a remnant and also costs a bit.
There are also cheap Dacs that support Bluethooth.
It would be important that the Aptx supports Hd, then you should have no problem doing without good sound.

Av receivers up to 200€ are not worth it, they don’t offer any added value, if they did you would have to go up with the budget, even then the av reciever is mostly unsuitable, especially for stereo.
If all else fails I would look at Denon Pma 600 or Ne800 which are available for 400-600€ on Ebay Kleinanzeigen even cheaper.
However, they don’t have Bluethooth, so you would still need a Dac that is Bluethooth capable