Modhouse T60rp Argon

I just got myself ZMF Oval Suede pads since I couldn’t wait for modhouse to open up for new orders. Holy fuck the sound changed so much, the bass is so full and the treble got its edge taken off a bit. I can’t wait to do full mods on these. Fostex does some magic I have to say.

1 Like

Is this with the ZMF Oval Suede pads? I honestly couldn’t feel that bass hit the same way as you do. My HD 560s punches a bit harder I think, but I could be wrong tho.

Hey all. Got to borrow a friend’s T60 stock today. I can compare with my T60 argon now.

Just know that pad rolling will make the sound drastically different. Alpha pads ftw.

3 Likes

What is actually the difference between both with ZMF Suede pads? I am not sure I could find this information anywhere and I couldn’t quite understand from Zeos. As I was listening to Zeos’ review I thought it will have huge bass, but it’s more close to flat is what I hear.

1 Like

The stock t60rp’s will get a bump in the bass across the whole sub- and mid-range with a recessed treble if you use the ZMF Oval Suede’s. I sadly don’t have any measurements to prove this, but this is what my own ears tell me.

Would be interesting to hear some A/B comparisons from @kcrack

Test chain: Deezer Hifi → Pi2AES via coax → Bifrost 2 → GSX mini

Stock T60RP with stock pads: Subbass is rolled off and kind of hazy sounding. Sounds slightly bright leaning, but I’m not willing to say it’s bright. Just a small peak or two. Good amount of punch though. I could definitely approve of this around the price ($300).

Stock T60RP with Oval Suedes: So much better, especially in the bass. Sound is better separated. Very slightly wider, likely as a result of the distance from driver being increased. Treble went down. Slams about the same. Texture of the sound still falls behind Suede Argon by a lot. The V shape lover in me still wants more though and doesn’t like the treble tradeoff. Mids are not all that clean so if you want really clean mids you probably want a different headphone in general.

Stock T60RP with Alpha Pads: Yeah these pads literally never fail to impress me. Best separated sound, cleanest bass and treble. Absolutely amazing transients, slam, and dynamics. I’m gonna order a second pair of these pads. :ok_hand:

So what does Argonizing these headphones give you? To properly test this I put the stock T60 pads on both and A/B tested. I can’t do a proper A/B test with the other pads because I only have one pair of those other pads.

Treble on stock T60 was sibilant in the lower treble. Argon tamed it a lot, but you treble sensitive folk should stay away. There’s still a peaky hiss way up there. Argon bass is more elevated and has better slam. Argon was a tad warmer in lower mids. Argon upper mids were flatter. Argon was more detailed when I really focused.

Random scattered thoughts:

I think pad rolling does more than the actual Argon mod and from a pure value perspective is probably better, especially since waiting on modhouse for months is not too enticing.

Argon mod makes the headphone darker and adds that extra energy throughout.

I’ve been told by a fellow GSX mini owner the pure power from a speaker amp opens up the Argon more. I haven’t gone that far but I don’t doubt it. Planars like current after all.

I like Alpha pads :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

The wait is certainly painful. When I sent mine I was told, by both of them, that the turnaround would be eight weeks. Monday will be 11 weeks. I emailed them after 8 weeks, 9 weeks and 10 weeks and will again on Monday. No replies at all.

All I can think is that they are having problems getting parts. Even if they got super busy it shouldn’t affect my timeline as the new orders would be after me.

Oh well…

Just got my conversion back last Friday, after 19 weeks of waiting. I opted for the ZMF suede oval pads.

Initial impressions leave me somewhat underwhelmed. As others have mentioned the treble is a bit hot and I am noticing sibilance a lot more (esp in female vocals) than I do with any of my other cans. I only have sort of low-midfi headphones (HD6XX, HE-4XX, ATH-MSR7) to compare to, so take that for what you will. I know the T60 Argons are sort of V shaped, but I was surprised at how recessed the mids feel. I mostly daily drive the HD6XX, which obviously have a very mid-forward presentation though.

Bass feels very full and impactful, but not boomy or bloated. Soundstage is similarly impressive. Very wide. Not sure how they pull it off with a mostly closed headphone.

So far I’ve tried the T60 Argons with a Schitt stack (Magni 3 and Modi 3), a Topping DX3 Pro, and the headphone out on my NAD integrated amp. Feels like none of these do a great job powering the Argons, but I’ve heard they are power hungry. I have an Emotiva BasX A-100 that I’m planning to hook up this week and run with the jumpers in. Should give plenty of juice and hopefully will wake these babies up.

1 Like

Gratz on enduring the wait. I waited 27 weeks :pensive:

Yeah that emotiva should be a huge improvement from the power. Underpowered argons are especially sibilant and underwhelming as I’ve come to learn.

Keep us posted :+1:

Sucks to wait that long and be underwhelmed. Hopefully you enjoy them more with the Emotiva.

Do you recall the diferences in sound before and after? When I had my T60’s, the clarity was amazing, the bass was nice and the soundstage seemed very cramped. Mids did not seem at all recessed to me. Or, did you have a completely different impression of the stock headphones?

Did you try to contact them through that six month period? If so, did they ever respond?

I honestly don’t remember them stock very well. Had them for about 4 weeks before sending them in for conversion and then they were gone for another 15… lot of time to forget what they sounded like originally.

I’m sure some of my impression of the mids is just due to the fact that I’m comparing them to the glorious mids of the 6XX.

I’ll let you guys know if things change once I hook them up to the Emotiva and spend some time with that setup.

1 Like

I reached out once at 12 weeks and didn’t hear back. Reached out again at 18 weeks and they said they were getting ready to ship them back.

Wow, that would be irritating.

It seems that communication is not their strong suit. I just tried to keep in mind that it’s only one guy and his wife and I’m pretty sure he’s got a full time job outside of headphone mods. Not totally an excuse, but it is what it is.

I did. They responded like… once? So yeah just forgetting about the headphone is much better than worrying over it.

It is ticking me off a little, but I have lots of other 'phones to keep me busy.

I sent my weekly email to Modhouse last night. Got a reply today. Should be about another week.

I SO badly want to believe that! :grin:

2 Likes

Fingers crossed for you

1 Like

Well I finally had a chance to hook up the Emotiva and have been casually listening for a few hours while working today (this working from home thing does have a few perks haha). I definitely like these cans a lot more with the addition of more power. Lots of detail and still really nice bass. The mids are not as recessed as they were with the Mangi. These still probably won’t be my go-to for female vocals, but I am enjoying them much more now.

1 Like