@MON with all your gear

Stuff from dekoni is always solid, and vmoda cables are nice if they still sell them

Also yo what the fuck is this thread anymore lol

3 Likes

5 Likes

I have no problems where this is going, but I just wonder how it gets there lol

1 Like

The OP was drunk when he posted it and the thread carried on that way… :joy:

4 Likes

A m0n AMA? :thinking:

1 Like

Perhaps initially, but now I have no clue, I do like where this is going though, it’s kinda just like a talk about whatever thread

Also that reminds me of what I said here lol

1 Like

This is very true… I feel like the m0n appreciation thread needs a bump lol

4 Likes

Please no don’t do it lol

3 Likes

oh so you’d prefer a new appreciation thread then

I think I’m fine lol

Since you’re here I’ve sort of speculated I’d be okay getting the elegia with the a3 but a clear would require a step up… sound about right?

So I would tend to agree, the elegia is for the most part happy on most quality solid state amps, but the clear is indeed more picky. I think you could run the a3 with the clear and I think you could still think it’s an upgrade from the elegia, but to actually get what you paid for in terms of performance you would want to go higher tier on your amp imo

@shikikaze I was tired and didn’t realize, is that a K551 just to verify? That has an attached cable correct? I think you might have to do the detachable cable mod

Elegia is currently surprisingly good off my phone. Still miles below my desktop setup, but shit I didn’t expect real portability w/o a dac/amp. Also I’m liking my iFi nano bl less and less…

2 Likes

Yeah it’s not really super picky on what it likes, but in exchange it doesn’t scale as high as like a clear, but the clear sounds pretty bad off a phone

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a pair of K551s. I was thinking of doing a detachable cable mod, however, I decided I’ll just skip the detachable part and just solder a new cable to the internal contact points. This gives me the advantage of not having some awkward connector sticking out, asking to be broken if I’d pull it awkwardly by accident.
Or, perhaps, I’ll make something that lets me disconnect the cable internally to solve the problem of worn cables and the problem of broken connectors.
And yes, I was thinking of doing a mini-XLR mod to improve the broken connector problem, but I’m not sure whether the connector will fit or not. If anyone’s crammed it in there (or in other K55x models), let me know how it went.

Guess this is true, in that case most wire works just fine, shouldn’t be too hard, here is some solid wire

https://www.redco.com/Mogami-W2893-Miniature-Quad-Microphone-Cable.html

Also this guide is solid if you wanted to do a detach

The k551 mk2 uses a 3 pin xlr iirc but they did change the shape of the body to do so

Hmm since I missed the elegia sale maybe that $1100 cad clear is money better spent… seems like a leap into the focal cans but I’m fairly certain I’ll like them

At 1.1k cad you should be able to sell it with little loss if needed, so it would be most likely pretty safe imo

You make a good point lol. I’d be leapfrogging the 500-1000 cad tier which I’m kind of okay with and arguably already did with the z7 I guess.

1 Like