@MON with all your gear

I personally think if you could find a deal on a abyss diana v2 you would enjoy that based on what you enjoy now imo. I also think if you wanted something in the vein of the th610, you could consider a zmf auteur which imo might fix some of the complaints you have with the th610. I think if you like the 95x, you could consider finding a used sennheiser he60 and grab a decent stax energizer (you would need an adapter), and that might be up your alley imo. Moving up in the grado line is also always an option as well. This is if you wanted to upgrade based on what you have that might be reasonable

Cool idea’s!
I have been thinking about climbing further up the Grado tree.

I have no idea about the Abyss Diana V2, but isn’t that crazy expensive, even used?

I have never looked into ZMF. Hmmmm. The TH-610 is underwhelming me. I wish now that I hadn’t ordered that expensive (to me) balanced cable. But it will get a best shot to prove itself.

I am not sure about the E95X’s long term viability now. When I wore them for a week I would start every day by saying to myself “don’t worry Sundara’s/Elex’s, you’ll be up soon enough”. That may just be a novelty thing, or maybe it’s not.

I am thinking there is no way to be happy with six pairs of great headphones. When I started out my goal was to end up with one great pair open backs, one great pair of closed backs and one great DAP. Well that’s gone to hell. :laughing:

Maybe the final answer is:

1. One great DAP
  2. One great DAC
  3. One really great Amp
  4. Two great pairs of open backs
  5. one pair of great closed backs
1 Like

Look around here on Monday. I may have some things to share you will be curious about.

1 Like

In the us it’s about around 2k used in the us but I don’t know too much in canada.

What ways do you like it, and what would you want to change?

Ah, if that’s the case then I would just stick with them and not bother about going higher into estats

As it does for everybody lol

Going to revise this list a bit lol:

1. One great DAP
  2. 2 great dacs
  3. 2 really great amps
  4. 2 or 3 great open backs
  5. 2 great closed backs

Curious how you would answer that with items $700-1,500

MON, the great slayer of wallets and entire bank accounts. :joy:

5 Likes

Uh, it would depend on the preference here lol. Also this tread is getting dangerously close to making a top whatever favorite things which I absolutely don’t want to happen lol, I personally feel like “top things in this range” for “best headphones for blank” are good for nobody lol

2 Likes

Yes we need a top 10 amps/dacs/headphones/iems/speakers/ etc lists from you M0N, how else would we go about emptying our bank accounts? Lol

So, the Abyss is going to run about 3K, used. Pretty stiff.

As far as the TH-610’s go, I am going to wait until the balanced cable comes and try them on the LP. I will also try the new amp via SE and see what happens. No firm opinions until then.

Have to see where the E95X slots in after the novelty of the newbies wanes.

No no lol, that would not be good

1 Like

Yeah that would make sense, a bit much for what you are looking for

Curious to hear your thoughts, should be pretty sweet

I think I will narrow down. With six sets, you’re always thinking about a different one.
And I really need to find a super closed back. All closed backs are, IME, inferior to open backs.

The minute M0N thinks this way he’ll stop trying new things. EVERYONE DON’T PUSH FOR A TOP LIST. Also… source → amp → driver chains matter, change one variable and the entire chain is at risk.

2 Likes

It’s the whole experience, and it changes depending on the person and gear, it’s got to be tailored to the actual person, a review or top list isn’t really going to cover it at all

1 Like

I can relate to that, but form the other side of the fence. I kinda took a pass on Verites because I already had Utopia + Stellia (personal favorite headphone, but I’m only mildly offended that you don’t share my enthusiasm, lol). I agree with your take on the rest of the Focals.

Finally came back around to VC, which is still in the pipeline. It’s gonna be great when it gets here…

3 Likes

All preference thing for sure, I think my overall collection kinda made me not want to grab the utopia, but I can see those prefer it over the verite for sure, depends on the person, I don’t think you can go too wrong with either lol

Sorry man sounds brown lol (not my words but I think it’s a funny thing someone has said about the stellia)

3 Likes

Right now I’m enjoying my new budget set up. I currently have my Zishan Z3 Pro hooked up to the laptop acting as external DAC/Amp, with an OPA627 opamp, with Blon BL03’s plugged in. Love it.

1 Like

For sure. I already had the Focals to chase technicals, so I went with the Eikons to chase fun. VC will be for techni-fun, I suppose, lol. But for someone without any of these headphones, either Focal or ZMF could be endgame material depending on preferences. I look at them both as (arguably) “best in class” for slightly different classes.

Yes, well, I like brown. :crazy_face:

These have been on my list, but they’re a stretch for me, too, at $3k. I heard them at RMAF and had a general preference for Focals over Empyreans, though their build quality is incredible. They’re at least quite competent, good-sounding headphones–just tough to like them over the competition at their price. Half-MSRP would put them in Clears territory, which is an interesting way to think about them.

Gotta admit, part of me does like the idea of busting out the aluminum suitcase just for a pair of headphones. I do appreciate how over the top the whole (physical) presentation is.

Even on my “lowly” THX rig they’re a pretty solid jump in quality. It’s been a minute since I compared them directly, but Clears make me think more solid technicals and more refined sound.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, …

Yeah, because you narrow things down to small sets or even single choices based on personal preferences, only to find out the one making the list doesn’t like how Stellias are tuned… :rofl:

Really is this. The best gear for a given person will also evolve over time depending on gear they already have and what their current most important “unmet need” might be.

My experience has been that personal taste dominates “what’s best” among the highest end gear. I absolutely love that there are so many enjoyable ways to “ingest” music. Trying to reduce complex emotional experiences into rank-order lists loses the narrative to serve a delivery format. I personally get a lot more meaning by starting with the types of listening experiences I enjoy or that I’d like to have, then figuring out what works for other people and why.

3 Likes

For sure, I like the product but in that price tier for sonic performance imo they get beat pretty bad, dropping to half would make them more viable and attractive imo. No matter how good the build is, I think it should compete sonically at it’s price lol

Exactly exactly, make it 7 so you can cover the week of course

A list is only useful for me, nobody else, and it would most likely change depending on the week lol. There are only a select few products that I would ever call best in current and past market(which will not be revealed lol)

Yes, typically you have to factor that into it, it might be not up their alley at first or might not be what they describe, but you make predictions of how you think they will change in the future

Kinda not a fan of recent trends in audio and also how quickly people hop onto bandwagons

I mean if I were to do a best list it would be based purely on enjoyment so it wouldn’t even take into account actual performance, just how happy the thing makes me

3 Likes

Cans:
He4xx (feels thin)
T50rp (feels inconsistent, don’t use much)
Aeon 2 closed (am happy for gaming)
LCD-2C (am V happy for music)
have an order in for Argons (July delivery)
Don’t know if I want anything I’ve heard of.

Dac:
Modi 3+
have RME adi-2 on the way (not patient enough for BF2, sorry Mon, though after actually cancelling that order I have feelings)

Amps:
THX789
CTH
Have Liquid Platinum on the way.
Considering RNHP and Violectric as alternatives to 789.

In general I feel like I’m new again, didn’t buy audio gear for two years and suddenly the quarantine brought me back in and there are so many awesome things to try. It’s a wild time for audiophiles, lots of great cheap stuff.

3 Likes