🔷 Monolith Liquid Platinum

That’s an ok pairing, but they are picky, but they were getting the time they needed. But I have a feeling that they might not have been burned in, and the mrspeakers/dca stuff has a long burn in period with some fairly significant changes. But if you weren’t a fan it prob isn’t worth pursing

That’s mainly what I use them for, they are crazy comfy and compact at the same time

Aaah so you use them interesting… Probably the best Headphone out there for traveling. Maybe i’ll give them another go when i get the Eikon to do a direct comparison.
If you ignore ANC of course and the Beyerdynamic Home Wireless which is absolute cancer.

Bought my Eikons from them. Very pleased experience

1 Like

Received my LP the other day. The first thing that jumped out at me was how less compressed and more open it sounded with my Arya’s than the 789 (both receiving balanced inputs from the SDAC-B). Sadly, the volume pot of the LP is probably the worst that I ever experienced. Minimal to no tracking between 8 and 10 o’clock, and a huge jump in volume from 10 to 11 o’clock. This unit is heading back if things do not improve.

3 Likes

A gain switch could have eliminated this issue, but unfortunately it doesn’t have one lol. You can pretty much only work around it by lowering your dac volume either through a passive volume or through digital volume

I never really had those issues, but you are playing around a very low volumes on most headphones.
I have a passive pre-amp in front of all my amps, it’s mostly there to swap between DAC’s, but mine also happens to have remote volume.

Interesting, I’ve not experienced the same. Actually pretty linear, however I am feeding it a balanced signal from an Enog 2 Pro. I did have to play with the gain on both the DAC and the LP to get it where I have a wide enough range of volume. Both on high I had about 60 degrees of movement in the volume before it was hellaloud. I have it set where the sweet spot where I do most of my listening is exactly between 10 and 1.

1 Like

Awesome! I recommend you upgrade your dac. I have the Sdac-b. After buying the Modius, there is no going back.

Of the headphones that I’ve tried so far (Arya, HE-500, HE-6 prototype, and the LCD-2 rev. 2 pre-fazor), the volume pot exhibited smooth, linear tracking with only the HE-500 and the HE-6* with no channel imbalance up and down the volume pot. With the Arya and the LCD-2, the tracking was not smooth with a small window of volume adjustment between 10:45 and 11 o’clock (or 10-10:30, in other words: small) and a nice blast of volume at 11 o’clock. Channel imbalance reared its ugly head below 10:45 on the Arya and the LCD-2, as heard on a mono track where the center vocals started drifting to the left channel when the volume pot dipped below 10:45.

Weird. Maybe Dr. Cavalli was more of a Hifiman fan than I thought, at least when it came to the old skool HE-series :wink:

Man, the volume pot sucks and I really like the sound that I’m getting out of the LP so far.

*EDIT: Ah, I noticed a similar but smaller jump in volume while listening to the HE-6

Wait what the HE6 actually Sounds good Out of the LP without a Speaker AMP? Do you have you the stuff to compare that?

I usually use a Crown-75A (45W @ 8ohms) to drive my HE-6 from speaker taps. I also have a Crest CA2 (160W @ 8ohms) to do the same, but I’ve been dragging my feet to get its temperature sensor fixed (the fans are always running full blast). I left the two power amps (both Class A/B) back in my city apartment while I WFH in the countryside. Anyways, the HE-6 sounds decent from the LP, slightly better than off of the THX AAA 789 (more power at 50ohms I believe), and little more mild mannered than off of speaker taps of a power amp. Between the 789 and the LP, treble is better behaved, and a little bit more laid-back, on the LP, which gives me an impression of the LP controlling the treble better than the 789.

A screeching treble from the HE-6 is a telltale sign of it being underamped as well as wimpy bass. Neither the 789 nor the LP exhibits wimpy base per se, it is just that the bass lacks that the slam and tactility that only a power amp (with sufficient good, clean wattage) can provide. Also, the treble of the THX AAA 789 can sometimes lose a bit of control on gain stage II. I haven’t listened to much on gain stage III due to the clipping that comes from a 4V source (XLR inputs), as any source providing >2.1V will cause clipping on the third gain stage of the 789. THX stated that dropping the pre-amp gain -7dB can solve this clipping.

Soundstage from the LP and the 789 are pretty close. Even though I would like give it to the LP, it is still too close to call. Both provide a bigger soundstage than the D-75A for my HE-6. I do like how the LP sounds less compressed than the 789, probably the most noticeable difference between the LP and the 789 to my ears together with the warmer treble I mentioned above. Still, whether driven by the 789 or the LP, my HE-6 lacks the punch and visceralness/tactility from those two amps that I’m used to getting when being driven by power amps.

EDIT: Added more thoughts

2 Likes

Mad lad over at HF is upgrading his LP volume pot to an Alps RK27:

if you had a volume tracking problem, personally I’d file an RMA, mine certainly doesn’t have the issue, but it is apparently common.

Likewise, for all of that trouble I’d either get it swapped or just get a better amp instead of throwing dollars at the LP for the fix. I love the amp but I’d have to think that labor and cosmetic mod would run a couple hundred bucks. Not worth it for an amp I paid $400 for.

I was wondering if someone can help me with something.
The LP should ,If possible, not be used 6. SE because the Output is not as good. But i’ll get a Headphone that cant be balanced without modding it. The DT177x.
So how can i use the better Output (XLR) from the LP to the DT177x.
There are Adapters for 6.3 and 3.5 to 4 Pole XLR in DIY sections but i can Imagine i cant just expect that to work. Heres one of them as an example.

Do not use these, you can damage your amp and your headphones at the same time. The dt177x go uses a 4 pin mini xlr connector, you can get a balanced cable for them and use them normally

4 Likes

Wait there are cables for Mini xlr to Male xlr 4 Pole? Uff i didnt even search for it. Stupid

Here is an example from periapt cables

You prob can’t get that were you are, but look for other cable makers that might be able to support something like this. All you need is a mini 4 pin xlr on the headphone side to a 4 pin xlr on the amp side of things

1 Like

Okay nice done i should’ve figured this out myself. But i suspected i could’nt Just get away with buying an adapter. Well thanks!

So people actually Mod it just to get a rather cheap Headphone truly balanced and Not because they wanted to use the balanced Output.

Yes that won’t work. Make sure to never try and convert the balanced output of an amp to single ended. You can convert a balanced headphone for use on a single ended amp, but you cannot use a single ended headphone on a balanced amp