🔷 Monolith Liquid Platinum

What’s the life of a tube by itself? Yes it depends on use but let say 8 hours a day. Is it months or can last a year?

When it stops working is the life of a tube. :slight_smile:

No direct experience but everything I’ve read says they kind of fade if you will, not sound as good as they did when new and that daily, meaning multiple hours you should change them annually.

I see. So change twice a year is a safe bet :stuck_out_tongue: . Thanks.

Assuming reasonable use I would honestly say every 2 years perhaps imo. 8 hours a day would be like 3k ish hours a year, and assuming it’s not on every single day you could prob get buy

That’s comforting. I thought it needs a lot of maintenance to own something with tube.

If you get a quality tube not really, it’s also a hybrid so you only have to deal with one type of commonly used tube. Tubes become a pain in the ass when you have multiple different types of tubes with different lifespans that are expensive or rare tubes, and then it becomes tedious, but for a hybrid like this it generally shouldn’t need much maintenance over it’s lifespan

1 Like

Very nice to hear that.

Many 6922’s are spec’d to last for 10,000 hours, the stock 6922’s (6922-EH) being one of them according to one site: https://jacmusic.com/ehx/index-EHX.html. Anyways, don’t get too nervous since the LP sounds really, really good with the stock Electro Harmonix 6922’s, which aren’t expensive. If you used them for 8hrs per day, the tube should last close to 3.5 years ideally.

2 Likes

Any feedback or first hand experience with the LP cap mods? I wasn’t aware of them.

They can be good, but are pretty hit or miss, personally I wouldn’t do one unless you just adore the amp and want to push it to it’s max, but really I would say otherwise it prob is more hassle than it’s worth

2 Likes

There is a guy on Head-Fi doing lots of mods for people. Something to do with caps I believe. You send him your machine or he can tell you what to do. They have a pretty big LP thread over there.

2 Likes

Monoprice has an oscillating price on this amp. It’s back down to $485.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33305&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoJX8BRCZARIsAEWBFMItUN6Am9WuwUglwRPWeVeUgHoEUgZ2iYVp_48k93qkq3mRrRvLMjYaArtVEALw_wcB

Amazon currently lists a used model for $460.

I have been loving this amp today with my Elex’s.

Just for kicks I have hooked up my Loki to my Vio and LP amps. The Elex did not need or want any added bass. All the settings for the Sundara’s meant nothing to the Elex. I just put the EQ on pass through.

A Very nice day of Music. Maxing out on Kamasi Washington. :grin:

2 Likes

I bought this amp and i’m loving it. When using the volume pot i have to tune it by the micrometer lol. But ive got good motor control so its not a problem lol.

Ive been tube rolling on this amp a lot and i was surprise to find out that the 6N1P-EV 6DJ8 ECC88 6922 Russian NOS doesn’t work on it. I contacted the seller on ebay and he said they dont work on it and its a known issue. anyone heard about this?

I also just tried a pair of Mullards on it and they did not work either. the seller said “these are the incorrect tube for the Liquid Platinum. That preamp should be using 6922s rather than 12AU7s.” I guess this tube thing isnt as simple as i thought lol.

3 Likes

6DJ8’s are pin compatible with a 6922, but they aren’t rated for the same voltage IIRC.
i.e. it’s safe to replace a 6DJ8 with a 6922, but not the other way around.
12A?7’s etc are completely not compatible, they have a different filament Voltage among other “issues”.

2 Likes

I dont understand all this stuff. i’m new to tubes. can you list the model numbers for the tubes that work with it so i dont buy the wrong tubes in the future?

The easiest way to do this is troll the head-fi thread on tube rolling for the Liquid Platinum and try some of the suggestions. Bear in mind some people are using adapters.

Or stick to things you can verify are actual 6922’s or E88CC’s.
Note ECC88 is a 6DJ8, and E88CC is a 6922.

Just because you can plug it into the socket doesn’t mean it will work or even that it’s safe to do so, there is a chance you could destroy the amp by plugging the wrong tube in there.

1 Like

Both the 6922 and the 6DJ8 both are spec’d for the same heater voltage: 6.3V. They differ in the amount of heater current they draw: 300mA for the 6922 and 365mA for the 6DJ8. Alex Cavalli mentioned that one shouldn’t use tubes that draw over 350mA of heater current (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/liquid-platinum-tube-rollers.898852/post-14799862), which rules out using the 6DJ8 with the LP for long-term use (it draws too much heater current).

7308’s are spec’d at 6.3V and draw 335mA of heater current, but are generally pricier than the 6922’s.

If you have a preamp, a passive volume controller (e.g. JBL’s nanopatch), or can control the volume from your dac/source, then you can turn the volume of the Liquid Platinum to its unity gain (around 1:30pm on volume knob). Someone set their preamp gain down to -10dB on their player (Liquid Spark vs Monolith THX 887). When I use the unity gain, I set my player’s preamp down -12dB. Tbh, I like the sound without fiddling with my preamp settings despite having to whip out the old micrometer from time to time :wink:

Can you describe what the benefit of being at the amp’s unity gain is?