šŸ”· Monolith Liquid Platinum

At unity gain, input and output of a component have the same voltage levels.
Having unity gain throughout a signal chain helps with SNR and distortion.

2 Likes

I had the same issue on my first LP. I ordered another LP from monoprice and this one was better but the jump was still there at 10-11. It sounds great i get it but I canā€™t be bothered with such a giant leap in sound. Sending it back for the last time and getting a LYR 3. It may not be the same sound wise but has no shouty issues on the pot. My chain was a BF2 > balanced cables > LP > Balanced 250 ohm HPā€™s.

A quick workaround would be to lower your pre-amp gain so that you can comfortably use volumes above 11 oā€™clock, but yeah the LP really needed a gain switch.

I donā€™t think you can lower the volume with a BF2.
I wondered about that as I use my SU-8 to lower the input volume by quite a bit.
And still my efficient headphones are limited to a range of 8:00-9:00 and my lees efficient headphones top out at 10:00-11:00.

1 Like

I use Musicbee and lowering the pre-amp gain using its built-in EQ by 7-10dB does the trick for me.

Most, if not all music players have that feature. Or you can simply lower the volume on your DAC using the volume slider on your OS.

Depends on your situation. My music system is not tied up with my computer and I donā€™t use streaming.

We could use a workaround to make up for a faulty pot but for a $500 piece of equipment it should at least function properly. Oh well i guess something else will have to do.

It does have a great sound though. At least for us quiet listeners. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is does , :+1:

Is it known for sure that the volume bump is down to a shitty pot rather than circuit design?

Just posted this in the deals thread, itā€™s on sale for $293.74. I feel like this is a price to clear stock type of thingā€¦ https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33305

1 Like

well the new matching dac is coming out, so I wouldnt think so

I assume people are buying the LAu now so LP isnā€™t selling well.

The LAu is significantly more expensive even compared to the more normal pricing.

Yeah I get that. But for them to be selling an amp that was originally $800 for less than $300ā€¦sales must be shit. They addressed the biggest LP issues on the LAu as well (gain and volume pot) so I dunnoā€¦maybe itā€™s cannibalized LP sales?

From what I can gather, the LAu X had a meh response so Iā€™m skeptical if that amp would cannibalize LP sales. Though I could be wrong, as the lack of reviews and discussion on several forums could defy actual sales.

Though at <$300 Iā€™m already planning cap upgrades and sourcing a reasonable balanced pot.

1 Like

The price dropping from msrp is somewhat common for monoprice stuff, I suspect the 500 mark was the target for the LP from the beginning

Also perhaps they could be revamping the LP with gain controls and a better pot?

1 Like

I suspect that would leak, my understanding is the gain switch on the LAu doesnā€™t really offer enough difference to really solve the volume problem.

:+1: and that goes for Drop collabā€™s too.

Thatā€™s how the industry works. Everything new Monoprice announces has been delayed month s and months, first Covid but perhaps then rethinking as new products have launched? I donā€™t know. It stands to reason that the one product they donā€™t announce is the one that would be easiest to get to production and would completely neuter the existing LP sales, hence the fire sale.