šŸ”· Monolith Liquid Platinum

Thatā€™s the case with most cavalli products if they have both balanced and unbalanced

1 Like

ETA has fluctuated. Here is the DAC

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38966

yeah seems thatā€™s a trend with Cavalli designs that feature both SE and BAL outputsā€¦ my LCX also had a terrible SE implementation. I think SE is probably just included at this points as a convenience thing and is mostly a afterthought when designing these amps.

1 Like

They are differential amps, so you either have to have a summing circuit to produce SE output or just use half the output signal.
I suspect the Cavali designs do the latter, the issue with that is you lose all the noise rejection inherent in the designs.
Schiit differential products also have reduced quality on SE output (Jotenheim, Gungnir, Yggdrasssil), they do have summing circuits and the difference isnā€™t as drastic.

If your paying $600 for an amp using a balanced DAC and output doesnā€™t seem like a huge stretch.

3 Likes

Well, I bought one used last night. I should have it here by the end of the coming week.

3 Likes

Do you prefer your Tuba or the LP with your Elexā€™s?

With my Elex the LP. I havenā€™t heard a pure tube amp Iā€™d recommend for the Elex, the Tuba isnā€™t bad, but it still messes with the Bass in a way I donā€™t like.

With ZMFā€™s it depends a lot on what Iā€™m listening to or what mood Iā€™m in, but I donā€™t have both amps in the same location anymore and itā€™s Gungnir Multibit -> LP all balanced vs Bifrost2 -> Tuba SE.
The LP is still in my office which is my primary listening area, which probably say something.

When I am done in a couple of weeks, my listening station will be DAP to SMSL SU-8 feeding:

1. MAD Ear+ HDII (tube amp)
    or
  2. SMSL SP200 (THX amp)
    or
  3. Liquid Platinum (hybrid amp)

I figure that should be a pretty wide variety of sounds.

2 Likes

Anybody want to list any tubes they have tried and loved with their Platinum? I am going to order a pair tonight. They will probably be here before my amp. :grinning:

I got an offer of:

"highly recommending strong pairs of tested 1960ā€™s Amperex ECC88 tubes branded for hp (Hewlett-Packard) from the Heerlen Holland factory

Made in Holland

Stamping condition: 80 - 90%

$70.00/matched pair"

That is, of course, in Canuck bucks. :grin:

Anyone tube rolled theirs yet? Trying to find some to try out when it gets here.

Also to use the balanced out on this do I need a balanced dac or can I run the rca input and still benefit from the better sound of the balanced output? If so guess I need a new dac by Thursday.

I would really suggest a balanced dac with this unit, what price range are you thinking?

Better question. What price bracket will it take to make this shine? I wouldnā€™t be opposed to spending around 1000 Canadian I guess but if itā€™s going to be negligible difference compared to something around the 500 mark I would do that. Or what pairs best with this thing?

I think personally something like a bifrost 2 pairs very well, I think that would be a noticeable step up

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen it drop down to 850 on occasion on Amazon.ca

Well after consulting with my wallet heā€™s telling me I should wait a pay cheque or two. These reduced hours from covid cutting into my gear budget. I have the zen dac. Would it be worth getting 4.4mm to xlr adapters and running the zen dac I have balanced on it VS running my D50s to get me by for a month?

I think you would be just fine using the d50s for a month, but it isnā€™t ideal because cavalli gear isnā€™t favorable with unbalanced if it has balanced available. I would say perhaps pick up that adapter for the zen dac but make sure it isnā€™t too expensive

It is or was on sale for $600.00, so that is about $810.00, Canadian. And about $50.00 in shipping.

Yeah, but the problem is nobody is sure how consistent or reliable cross border shipping is right now.

Well, Iā€™m hoping it is fine as I ordered one. They warned that it might be slow. It was picked up last Tuesday.

I chose the cheapest rate, so, of course, it will be the slowest. You can pay more to get it faster, if you like.

Yeah, Iā€™ve been considering ordering a Schiit Product myself.