🔷 Monolith Liquid Platinum

God this makes the 58x’s sound amazing. Why does every gear upgrade make me want to spend more money. lol!

1 Like

I loved my HD58X’s up until I got a nice tube amp and then I could hear the HUGE difference between them and the Grado/HD600 class of headphones. I put them up for a sale a week or two later.

A ZMF Aeolus perhaps.

I mean, I would just use your cayin that you have lol, imo that might be a better match

1 Like

Wow! Very full and wide. Almost as soft as the tube but as much or more bass than the SP200.

With no burn-in, stock tubes and my Elex’s it is sounding pretty good. Vocals are where I like them.
Not crystal clear like the tube, but then the tube was far from crystal clear at first.

The next week will be me throwing everything at the LP.

Fits on my top shelf perfectly with the MAD.

8 Likes

Got tubes in today. I am not going to put them in for a week or two.

4 Likes

I didn’t have the patience for that. Rolled tubes like an hour in. The nos tubes are burned in already so it helps :rofl:

NOS tubes by definition have not been burned in. Hence the name New Old Stock.
Used tubes have, BUT If they haven’t been in recent use they can still take a day or two to come back to “normal”

1 Like

I wanted to have a good feel for the stock sound before I start changing it. And I don’t find the stock sound too bad at all.

My bad, used tubes.

Oh sounds superb stock for sure. I was just too instantly hooked on the tube flavor. hahaha.

1 Like

Anyone else notice this very briefly show up at a further reduced price of $525 earlier today? Didn’t pull the trigger fast enough and now I keep debating on if I should wait to see if it happens again.

Still testing this with headphones. I did Elex for one day and called it done.

Then went to the Sundara’s and was VERY impressed for several days.

Then jumped to the TH-610’s pre and post driver tune-up. I don’t have a balanced cable and so it was all SE. Not bad. Closed backs will always be inferior, but these went pretty well.

I should now be going on to the Meze 99’s but I was dying to go back to the Elex’s. Wow, these are great headphones! And so great with the LP. :heart_eyes:
This the best combo I have ever heard since I started this hobby, although I must give honourable mention to the Grado/MAD Ear+ combination.

My ears have never been so happy. :grin:

4 Likes

just purchased the Liquid plat and have the Elex… Hope it is as good as you say…

5 Likes

It really is. I just went back on the LP/Sundara combo today and MAN it sounds good! I spent a week on the electrostatics and then a week on the tube amp/Grado train and then I was getting the itch for this combo.

Everything I have seems to bore me within a week, so the answer is to keep swapping. :laughing:

I do think though that the LP will be staying in my collection for a long time.

3 Likes

Mine arrived today. I set it up, it’s currently being fed by a modi 3. I am feeding a 789 from the same source and previously had a CTH in its place.

I’m a little surprised at how similar it sounds to the CTH. It’s definitely warmer than the 789 and smoother. Maybe once it’s tubes have broken in it will sound different. Overall if this is what it sounds like I may as well keep my CTH. Or possibly I don’t get the full picture from the single ended input?

It’s also putting out an absolute ton of heat. Like too hot to comfortably touch. Does that sound right? Maybe it’s a faulty unit with the amount of heat coming off of it…

Also mainly listening on Aeon2 closed as my LCD2c are only single ended currently

You really want to make sure you are using balanced output (as the single ended output is very meh) as that’s more important imo, but there is a smaller quality hit using the single ended input but you should be fine for the most part there

It shouldn’t be getting absurdly hot, but it will get warm for sure

1 Like

Some more side by side testing with the CTH today. Highs are MUCH softer on the LP. I would say the presentation of mid and sub bass is a bit fuller on the LP, it seems to maybe extend deeper as well.

Detail, as you might expect, appears better on the CTH but that could easily be an illusion created by the rolled highs. The mid range detail seems to be exactly the same however this differs depending on song as it nave be obfuscated by harsher highs on the CTH.

Will continue and report back but the difference appears to be about … 1 tube :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@Grant As someone who has experienced this first hand, I agree. Don’t run it single ended if you can help it. Running it balanced is infinitely better sounding.

Give it some time for the tubes to burn in. Sound changed pretty significantly from arrival to when the tubes were burned in. The 100 hours they tell you to burn it in for in the packet is accurate.

Yea, mine also runs hot. It shouldn’t be burn material, but it will be uncomfortable to leave your hand on for a long period of time. Mine has mellowed out a bit as well? Idk why that would be, or maybe I’m just imagining it.

1 Like

My aeon2 are balanced (and also my most neutral headphone currently) so they’re what I’m testing with.

1 Like