Monoprice/Monolith THX AAA Portable Headphone Amp DAC

The ES100 USB function is not just for charging. When switched properly the USB is used as as audio input but can only run on its battery.
I have used it USB in from my PC to 3.5MM out to the front input of my Fulla 2. Works great. All the DSP/EQ toys with some more power from the Fulla.
I believe it can be set to this by hitting the “battery” button on the home screen and setting the “self powered” switch in the power menu.

You’re correct, my bad. The micro usb is used for charging and acts as a dac from a PC. I was more responding about his use with the THX rather than a PC. I think he was asking and trying to do micro usb out of the es100 to micro on the THX, I don’t think the es100 outputs through the micro usb. Again, I could be wrong.

Ahh…got it. I should have read more thoroughly. You are correct. The only outputs from the ES100 are the 2.5/3.5.
I am looking into the Monolith as my next upgrade and am interested in how well pairs with the Earstuidio.

Check out the Xduoo x5 plus. It’s on Drop right now. 1watt at 32ohms.

I’m seriously thinking about getting this, is it worth using with HD6xx? I have the FX Audio DAC-x6 currently I use with my HD6xx and a Little Bear B4 I use for portable, I use the little bear a lot for sitting on the couch watching TV and playing games, but the battery life on it sucks because tubes.

Oh yes it’s worth it! You won’t be using your X6 much any more. As for the Little Bear B4, the B4 is a really fun little device. Having that warm smooth tube sound on the go in a very decent and well made little piece of electronics is something I also enjoy at time. The THX is a whole other animal, actually, it’s a beast. It’s clean, it’s THX, enough power to drive those HD6xx with room to spare (I used it to take my Argons out walking the dogs a couple times), DRAC and suround modes adds that little something missing while watching a movie or with some genres of music.And for those who like to tweek and tune, the EQ will scratch that itch.
You won’t regret you choise

2 Likes

I’m going between buying this amp or the 58x a lot of people seem to think the 58x isn’t really with it if you already have the 6xx. The 58x has a bit more low end from my understanding.

It’s better subbass, stronger highs, and a more fun signature. But imo less detail then the 6xx if you power the 6xx right

That’s why I’m thinking I need to get a really good amp before I get another pair of headphones.

You don’t have to spend a lot to get a good amp and dac setup tbh

What would you suggest then?

It depends, you could get something like a topping d10 and a jds labs atom and be more then fine

Prices just go up from there

The thx AAA portable is great to (since we are in this thread)

1 Like

I’ve never heard the THX portable, but I’ve heard the Topping NX3 and it’s powerful and clean. Measurements back up my impression. If you want a portable it’s a great choice.

I would rather take the xd-05 for that price imo is the thing

1 Like

Zoes himself said that the line between the two amps (The Monoprice THX AAA portable and the XD-05) is very blurry as far as which one is better.

I was mainly talking about the nx3 vs the xd-05. I would still say that the thx portable is the superior amp and dac combo unless you need power

2 Likes

Oh my bad! Lol

• some more characters

If anyone is interested, I bought this wire. http://www.meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html I have test the wire with my portable THX AAA portable. It works both with my iPhone and my iPad.

how does it compare to the XDuoo XD-05 Plus in terms of SQ?

PLEASE HELP!!!
I ordered a monoprice thx aaa 887 desktop amp. Also I ordered a PORTABLE thx aaa amp and dac from Monoprice. Can I connect the thx portable to the thx 887 desktop amp to use the the dac from the portable to the 887 desktop. I do not know if that would work. Or do I have to buy a separate dac unit only to the thx aaa 887. I am trying to take advantage of the portable dac and pair it with the desktop amp. Hmm pleasew help thank you.