đŸ”¶ Moondrop Aria

Sorry to hear. It always sucks, if things brake and when products seem to have qc issues across the board. My Aria started to chip the coating, but it was very mild. Besides that mine didn’t have any other problems for 6 months or so. The timeless QC isn’t better it seems, when reading that thread.

Up until very recently I had a policy to never spend more than 30 usd on IEMs, because they would just brake all the time for me. I hope I won’t regret that change in policy

1 Like

Yeah, my experience with the aria is also similar where the left bud completely died for no reason, I switched cables and tried to use an amp or my phone 3.5mm port but to no avail. Will order a Timeless by the end of the month hopefully.

1 Like

It seems like many of them need the caps to be glued again.

The only other thing I am seeing on there is some inconsistencies between the left and right, and they seem to do better after some burn-in. Mine sounded noticeably better after about day three, which was a first for me with an IEM.

Mine also had that, right at the seam between the case halves.

I have purchased 11 IEMs, and the only two that have died, were both made by Moondrop. The sad part is the older SSP and SSR models from Moondrop were made very well, so they are capable.

I still have my first IEM, which was a KZ ZS10 Pro, and they work great, I still use that set with my Roku remote for watching TV.

Prior to buying the Timeless, my two most expensive sets were the Starfield and Aria. I sold the Starfield after I bought the Aria, which I regret that decision, since I would likely have a working IEM, just without the paint, if I had kept it.

1 Like

decided to open up my aria to see why is it broken, the copper wire has somehow broke

6 Likes

Guess its poor soldering. You might be able to fix it be resoldering it.

4 Likes

luckily this should be an easy fix with a soldering iron
unluckily
 wtf? what is this QA? Even the wire that is still connected looks damaged

8 Likes

IKR! it looks like they took a thicker cable that was frayed and snipped a few strands off. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

HEY, SOMEONE HERE WITH REALLY EXPENSIVE IEMS
crack them open so we can see if they’re chinzy on the inside too? :wink:

3 Likes

Campfire Andromeda:

GS Audio SE12:

4 Likes

those wires look so fargile!

2 Likes

All internal wires are like that.

4 Likes

I know I am a bit late here, but I think getting yourself some Final Audio E Type ear tips could also alleviate that problem of yours, and in my case the fit, seal and isolation from those are just perfect for me. A bit on the firmer side so I am not sure what tip you prefer whether if it’s soft or firm. Yeah, I do agree that the stock tips are nothing to write home about for they are nothing special and I don’t use them myself as well.

2 Likes

I can now join the line of unhappy customers of moondrop. My left bud had a wiggly connector (the connector could rotate a little inside the shell). It was fine till now: the left bud died on me.

It happened when I was watching a review about the titan S. Could it be a sign? :smirk:

2 Likes

How many months did you get out of them ? Four seems to be the magic number.

Now that you mention it, mine died while I was looking at the HBB review of the T3 Plus, which looking back seems like a nice upgrade. I can even re-use the Tripowin Altea Cable I bought for that IEM ( note those are on sale at Linsoul right now for $31 ).

I ordered at the end of June. That makes a lifetime of 6 months. It’s not that bad, considering the port was wiggly from the get go.

Now I’ll be way more wary about moondrop. 70$ is not that much, especially in hifi, but it’s one of the most expensive set I own. Having such QC issues, while some problem even occured on other sets makes me wonder about the brand vision for its long-term strategy

1 Like

Yep, I had a Starfield too, and it was beautiful when it still had paint, but at least it still played music when it was a piece of shiny metal.

The old Moondrop SSP was very well made, so I am wondering what happened at Moondrop. The SSP is my travel IEM, but I also use this one for walks and that sort of stuff. I keep it in my laptop bag with an Apple USB-C dongle ( I am an Android guy ) in a nylon zipper case.

Hi I’m complete new to audio stuff but recently got the arias and my question is do I need a DAC/AMP to get more clear? or more strong distinguishable? sound or any tips to make sound better for gaming/overall? Sorry if I offended anyone with this noob questions :slight_smile: .

It somewhat depends on what you have now, some common sources may be fine. The Aria doesn’t need a strong amp, it’s quite sensitive and easy to drive. 32 ohms, 122db/V / 107db/mW. With sensitive IEMs the most common complaint is you can hear a slight hiss in quiet parts- do you get any sense of hiss on what you are currently using? If so, a quieter DAC would get rid of it. Something as cheap as a $9 dongle would be sufficient, as again, they are easy to drive. Apple make a good one if you are using an Apple device, there are many other options around the same price.

Does Anyone know how to open the buds? My left bud is dead, and I’d like to see if I can repair them. But first, I have to open them and I don’t know how to do it correctly.

4 Likes