Moondrop CHU (ultra budget)

Anyone wearing their Chu with the cable down? I can’t get it to stay over my ear properly. Other than the undetachable cable, I can’t complain about them so far, a lot of value here for $20.

1 Like

Have you tried using those included rubber hooks?

I had the same issue with the cable jumping off my ear and using the hooks solved it (usually I would totally avoid the hooks but they were necessary in this case).

3 Likes

Cheers mate! Will try that. Can’t find hooks in my Chu packaging, just the 6 tips and a black pouch but I have spares lying around to use :+1:

I had some in the packaging. You can also create tension in the cable by rotating the IEM in the right direction once or twice.

2 Likes

I just received the Moondrop Chu for a throwaway IEM to take to work. WTF these are amazing for 20 bucks. They do NOT sound refined but they do sound Fun. I’m Super Impressed even if they break I’m keeping the extra comfy eartips. Recommended Highly. With the cute packaging I might buy some more for stocking stuffers.

2 Likes

I tried some tip rolling on my chu recently.
Here is my podium:
3) final type E. Brings some bass in the mix
2) azla crystal . Same thing as final e, but more balanced
1)cp145 (S size) . Extends the low-end without bringing too much mid-bass in the mix

1 Like

Just wanted to jump in and reiterate that these are stupid good for the money. Also the tips are good as well so no complaints.

3 Likes

Ok so im not trying to felate these or anything but fml the bass is good if you add micropore tape over the front volume port. I dont know if this was mentioned before but the sub bass becomes throaty powerful with OH10 levels of slam and presence. Still very clean sounding and no boxyness that i can tell. Try it if you have not yet and are a bass head. :smiley::+1:

2 Likes

I never tried that one before but I am curious to find out if that is the case that I can get with my Chus. In its default state though it’s already a killer set for the price, and so far impressive that I don’t have any QC issues with them so far.

One thing annoys me with chus: the cable tends to bend outward of my ear. While standing up the weight of the cable compensate for this tendency, but when I listen to them lying in bed, the cable gets out and about, diminishing the comfort experience.

2 Likes

Yeah the cable from that Chu are not exactly that great, quite frankly the cable is one of the worst ones I have ever experienced, but I cannot complain too much since the Chu is only for 20$ and imo sounds better than the Moondrop Aria and overall superior tuning than it as well.

I wouldn’t mind modding mine in the near future like making it have removable cables as a replacement, but due to my experience with the Katos that I had to open up in order to fix it, I think I’ll pass for now for I don’t want to hurt my fingers again.

1 Like

One thing that comes to mind about the Chu is the non-removable cable which I do not mind at all, I have the Tanyas which also non-removable cable, but I specifically ordered the non-mic’d Chu but they sent me a set with the mic…I despise cables with microphones…they are just in the way and the Chu microphones has some weight to them because its made with the same material as the housing of the Chu…son of a bitch!

1 Like

probably actually help keep the cable wrapped around your ear mine (non mic) is too light to stay on my ear I was thinking about getting some beads or something to see if that helped

1 Like

Same here: the non pre-formed earhooks and the angle of the buds make the cable go away.

If you twist the chu around its vertical axis before inserting, you can create tension in the cable forcing it towards your head. Problem solved.

I may be a bit dumb, but I tried that with no luck.

Let me try to clarify (no promises):

If you look at the picture, there are 3 ways the cable can go (imagine the cable goes over the ear how you would normally wear the chu): It can either

• a) bend away from your head (red arrow) - the problem many have with the chu
  • b) stay neutral - this will also work.
  • a) bend towards your head (blue arrow) - in this case it is impossible to slip off your ear

So let’s focus on a): What will happen if you let the cable do it’s thing? It will slip of your ear and hang down until it gets neutral tension (b). What will happen if you force the cable to continue the movement unplugging the IEM momentarily and wind the cable around the IEM? You will create the opposite tension (go from scenario a to scenario c)). (Maybe needs more than a single wind)

:3

2 Likes

3 Likes

has anyone tried adding beads or something to add some weight to the cable?
also apparently 7hz zero is coming out swinging vs the CHU

1 Like

Super* Review really liked it on his first impressions.
Tech Savvy has a couple videos up, and likes it.