Moondrop CHU (ultra budget)

Super said RIP Chu and maybe Aria.

Since I dont like Aria and I can enjoy Chu, I’m hyped. Hoping to get it next week!

1 Like

I only got the Chu for the tips, but kept it due to tonality. Not the perfect set, but since I got rid of the CRA, it’s my beater and gaming IEM #1.

2 Likes

I was also going for the non-mic one but at the time it was out of stock, so I had to settle with the mic version. No expectations at all when it comes to the mic sound quality since I tend to think earphones with built-in mics are not usually good. But, much to my surprise, the freaking mic quality of the Chus are very decent sounding and can be used for Discord calls without sounding like you’re underwater.

1 Like

Yeah in regards with the paint job, so far I have no issues with it for it is not chipping off, there’s a small scratch mark about the right piece but that is not a paint issue, more like by me by accidentally grazing it to a wall or something.

Though for other folks here, I hope the paint stays on, because that is one of the issues on why I strayed away from Moondrop even though their sounds and tuning are excellent to my ears, but they are disappointing when it comes to other aspects such as that and handling my warranty.

You have moondrop PTSD, I can see :stuck_out_tongue: :joy: T

he paint job was regarding @lilhm’s master piece made on Paint. I’m also a Paint enthusiast for explanations :blush: brings me back in time I guess, ahah

1 Like

Yeah I do have, for those Moondrop IEMs I have, have a beautiful look on each, especially the Starfield when I first got it. The Kato however didn’t have a paint job QC issue, more like an issue on the 2pin slot breaking off from placement, that I had to fix it for myself for they don’t want to honor the warranty, a turn off from them.

2 Likes

Yeah you don’t need to explain. I also have cold feet regarding MD. That’s one of the reasons I won’t jump blind on their upcoming planar headphones.

2 Likes

Yep, also, I don’t want to those types people who are like in an abusive relationship. It’s like I want to leave you and run away from you, but I can’t do it because I love you so much! That kind of stuff. If Moondrop keeps fucking up when it comes to their upcoming IEMs or even their headphones when it comes to QC, yeah more reason for me to even enjoy my Airships more, for it has been uncommon of me lately to even use the Kato.

2 Likes

I still haven’t heard Chu. I always assumed that if I got a pair, it would be mostly for the tips.

Aria was always fine for me above 1k, it was below that that I wanted more.

I too am in the camp of having had one too many defective Moondrop products to hand them more of my money.

1 Like

Speaking about the Aria, I have the Chu and I will take the Chu over the Aria, since the Chu for me has more character, tuning and distinction than the Aria, because to the Aria is like your typical average anime school girl, no unique qualities just there in the background and she gets the job done (not in a sexual way, but you do get the point.)

Sure the Aria’s technicalities is more superior compared to the Chu, but the Chu’s tuning for me is what makes it better overall than the Aria.

1 Like

Happy that your happy good for you

This is news to me Moondrop has some Planars in the works? Please do tell.

They have a Dynamic, Planar and electrostatic headphone coming.

It was also rumored that they have a planar iem coming.

I like Moondrop but lately the stuff they have been releasing is nothing but the same tuning with a different color

Eee…this Shit…I want to know more about the iem Play-nars…

I see people say this all the time, but the fact that it is lacking the bass of the Aria, and isn’t as good technically, makes me wonder why? It seems like a brighter tuning on a set that was thin to begin with.

I wish I could explain it to you, but when you like something but you just cannot explain it, in my opinion that is something special, for me at least. It’s not answering your question, but I think it’s better to hear it for yourself though I am not sure if it’s even a worth to get since the 7Hz Salnotes Zero apparently have beaten the Chu, though that claim for me will remain uncertain for I’d rather hear it for myself as well and compare the two.

1 Like

I think I get it. I have the same thing with the HD58x vs the HD600. To my ears, the HD58x just sounds better, and I can’t really explain why. I know the 600 is the “correct answer”, but if I had both here it would gather dust.

1 Like

I owned the Aria and (according to QC reports on this forum) I (luckily) sold it. So I can’t 1:1 compare it soundwise, but from memory I think they are about the same. I can’t recall the Aria having a noteable bass either. However I always had terrible fit with the Aria. It was constantly on the verge of falling out of my ear and I tried sooo many different tips. Add a much better price, spring tips, a smaller shell and a basically free mic and that is why I’d say the Chu is the better set imho. (Also I didn’t read anything about chipping paint or broken cases so far with the Chu)

2 Likes

Yep, everything you have said, I agree about the Chu and Aria. I just found the Aria nowadays for me a bit boring, unlike the Starfield I have QC issues aside still sounds great to me and have more character, therefore nowadays is becoming a buyer’s remorse and IEMs lately have been at an excellent pace price = performance on each bracket.

3 Likes