šŸ”¶ MoonDrop Variations

I can hook you up with my set after iā€™m done with the review :slight_smile: Itā€™s pretty mint, used for comparitions only

Itā€™s pretty good! I can never write up a review. Just various impressions if I can. I know the basic stuff of what I want to point out but I donā€™t know how to go into detail with it.

1 Like

ty! It was a lot of fun to write and honestly on impulse. I just sat down after making myself some tea and felt the urge to write. None was thought out in advance or pre-structured; I just improvised and wrote down my impressions as they came :3

Your Impressions were a pleasure to read and quite honestly are a kind of review. Also, you listing song examples and describing what you liked at different points is both impressive and very effective!

1 Like

Thank you so much! That really means a lot! I always try to make it not seem long but ended up being a very long one every time. Yeah, I do like to present them through listing songs that I listen to. Itā€™s a good exercise to pinpoint highlights of an IEMs strengths or weaknesses.

3 Likes

Hey everyone, Iā€™ve been using the Moondrop Variations for around a week and Iā€™m very satisfied with the sound, particularly with AutoEQā€™s preset. The only issue I had, however, is the comfort, so I stumbled upon this thread and saw people vouching for the SpinFit CP155. I just got them today and indeed, they are more comfortable and now I can wear them for longer periods of time, but the CP155 killed the bass for me with the Variations and it sounds way too bassy for me on stock. Thankfully, AutoEQā€™s preset tames down the overblown bass, but itā€™s still a bit too high, so now Iā€™d like to change the EQ parameters in a way that makes the Variations + CP155 sound closer to the stock tips + AutoEQā€™s preset. For the time being, I just toned down the bass to -6.5 dB/62 Hz and -4.5 dB/125 Hz. Any other suggestions for improving the sound through EQ would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

What preset settings ?! Make your equalizer to your liking and enjoy the good IEMs!

Yeah, I get your point. Itā€™s just that I wasnā€™t 100% sure of what exact range of the frequency frequency was boosted/changed with the CP155s, and thus I asked for more information on the matter in other to make further EQ modifications by myself. I like my tight, fast and well-textured bass, but only when itā€™s balanced relative to the rest of the response, so I wasnā€™t 100% on board with the Variationsā€™ stock sub-bass boost and much prefered the more neutral, brighter sound of the AutoEQ preset. Iā€™ve been ABing with the stock tips and I think itā€™s about the same right now after doing what I described in my previous post.

And thanks! These IEMs are damn good, been having a really good time with them! :headphones:

1 Like

PM sent! Take a look~

Ok, sorry, havenā€™t looked into PMs yet, gimme a sec!

Hi ! (Iā€™m new here)

Iā€™m currently waiting for my Variations to arrive but I was looking for a replacement cable (already)

I know itā€™s 2-pin 0.78, which is new for me. From the photos, I see the plug holes on the Variations arenā€™t flush with the IEMā€™s housing.
Some 2-pin connectors have more or less deep plastic part holding the pins. Some are quite short, but itā€™s hard to tell from photos and I canā€™t seem to find measurementsā€¦

Is there something to look for that Iā€™ve missed ?

Is this the cable in the photo? (took me a while to find it :sweat_smile:)

AliExpress.com:XINHS 8-cores graphene LITZ structure

Welcome! I also just got my Variations two days ago, and donā€™t worry about the 2-pin, any cable thatā€™s just 2-pin will work, just not QDC (the ones with a casing over the pins).

Itā€™s just a matter of your preference at this point: do you want a longer stem on the connectors? Or would you like a flushed connection?

This is my Variations using a XINHS 4.4 Pentaconn with a 3.5mm adapter. As you can see, the cable only has a stubby stem/plastic part and fits snugly into the seating so the final result is a flush connection.

Btw, thanks to @nymz selling me his set, now Iā€™m fully in love with the Variations :joy:

6 Likes

Glad you enjoy it! Its in a better home now :slight_smile:

Love that cable :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Awesome!
This is exactly the information I was looking for

1 Like

Donā€™t buy it at that price, wait for 11/11, I bought mine for half the current price during the last sale.

2 Likes

It was too pricey for me to impulse buy, but for half?? thatā€™s definitely worth the wait! :smiley:
Thanks for the tip

Iā€™m also eyeing a black sleeved one from XINHS in the same price rangeā€¦ Havenā€™t decided yet

1 Like

Thereā€™s actually always two listings of the same cable from Xinhs in their store, and the prices fluctuate back and forth. Sometimes one is discounted, sometimes the other, and sometimes both. Keep an eye on both:

But keep in mind the 8-core is pretty heavy. Alternatively, the 4-core graphene one is also praised by many, lighter but still maintains the weight:

1 Like

Those two listings made me rethink my wishlist :exploding_head:

I also had those two :

Theyā€™re at very different prices, but now that I look closer, the photos and the specs are exactly the sameā€¦

On to the real choice: is the graphene cable silky smooth to the touch or a tiny bit rough?
I wear my IEMs with the cable down my back, under my shirt. I had tried smooth cables before (with my AF1120), and they just glided down, ending up pulling on my earsā€¦ Hence the appeal to the sleeved ones

Anyone can tell me what are the grilles for, beside wax guard? Are they altering the sound as well? Thanks