đŸ”¶ MoonDrop Variations

I do.

2 Likes

I purchased both Variations and DQ6.
Let’s see how that may fit my taste.
Will sell then Timeless and H40. :frowning:
Thanks for helping!

1 Like

I should try without filters one day. Yeah, it was a bit of a hassle applying new filters but so far it’s been ok

1 Like

It’s only there for wax protection btw. Doesnt change the sound on any way, shape or form. Has been measured by mamy, including HBB.

Glad to hear you enjoying them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congrats! That‘s such a good deal, hope they‘ll last you a long time.

The Variations do something with female vocals, right? Sound so great. Feels like I have Sennheiser HD600 in my ears with every aspect they are lacking in removed.

2 Likes

Hello everyone. So I am considering going for Variations. Which tips I should try with them? And is the stock cable good enough or should I go for something else?

Spinfit CP155 should be one good option for tips (of course you can always try the stock tips first)

1 Like

Oh! Then I don’t not using the filters if it ever comes off. I tend to clean my ears so it’s all good in the cleanliness part of it.

Yup! It’s pretty much a dream IEM for Kpop, especially when listening to korean female soloist! I do want to give an impressions soon but I’m just having so much fun just listening to all my music library as a whole right now.

Thanks! It’ll definitely will! I won’t be getting another IEM at this price range for a very long time.

They sure do! It’s just perfect with my korean music library!

1 Like

Hey everyone ive read nearly all of the comments in this discussion and was wondering if i could get a few different peoples opinions in regards to the variations when considering my taste and preferences in music sorry if this is absurdly long lol

So id definitely consider myself a bass head given that i have both a 15" and 8" subwoofer in my car i definitely love good deep clean bass and tonality as for the music i listen to i listen to just about everything from rap, hiphop, R&B, pop, all variations of rock and metal, orchestral, funk, jazz, blues, alternative, indie, soul, classics, some edm, trap, country, dubstep basically you name it i probably like it aside from k pop jpop religious music

i own several moondrop products and personally think that the kanas pro is noticeably better than the aria and star feild and the blessing 2 dusk when it comes to bass quantity specifically after some eq and tube amp simulator to raise the bass on my note 9 the kanas pro is almost where id like for it to be however the timbre or tonality idk which is far too midbass heavy for me on the other hand my aria and starfeild sound about the same as for bass which is noticeably lacking even after eq i also have a pair of QOA Adonis which are even more lacking in the bass region now i have a pair of blessing 2 dusk and without eq the upper mids and the treble sound great by far the best clarity ive ever heard from any speaker in my life however the dusk without eq sounds hollow and body less to me almost to the point where it brings back memories of the earbuds that everyone used to have as a kid in the late 90s :face_vomiting: with eq and simulating a tube amp with my phone the dusk sounds just about where id say its perfect however the tube amp simulator adds bass and mid bass but so much mid bass that it now has a timbre or tonality issue that i had with the kanas pro a so im not sure what i should do the bass self of the variations is noticeably higher on graphs than the dusk but does that actually make a noticeable difference in practice also do the variations fix the issue i had with the music seeming to be hollow with the dusk i really cant believe that some people like super review on youtube think that the B2 dusk bass is overwhelming because i literally cant hear the bass without eq let alone be overwhelmed

As for reference to my “gear” experience with iems in general and what i have and havent tried with the dusk

I just got into the iem scene about a month ago before that i had never spent more than $30 on headphones now i have a pretty considerable collection of iems and tips considering that its been about a month maybe 2 and im far from rich ive tried the spinfit cp155 tbh they made the music feel too harsh for me im quite sensitive to higher frequencies given im on the autism spectrum also theyre like a satellite dish that catch all of the otherside sounds so i can hear everything around me with kinda kills the music vibe for me after that i tried the moondrop sponge t55 foams tips on the dusk and theyre superb i actually have about 8 spare pairs just in case im also listening to music through spotify on a galaxy note9 running software from idk 2019 i use the shanling mw200 for a bluetooth receiver

Also as a side note i can see from the pictures that the variations are noticeably thinner side to side than the blessing 2 how noticeable is this in practice i ask because my dusk hurts my ears due to 2 healing conch piercings im both of my ears and if i wear the dusk the wqy its designed to be worn it sits directly on both of these piercings causing pain and swelling so i have to use them rotated forward towards my face about 25° ish

If you have any questions about anything ive said here feel free to ask but keep in mind im not super informed on the terminology used in this community so i may use the wrong words to describe stuff thanks a ton in advance

Super review also said that the variations in spite of its graph have less bass quantity.

If you have the budget, you could look into the Sennheiser IE900 (maybe even IE300?) or Sony IER-Z1R.

Are you sure you get a seal? The thing about your piercings and the tilt make me think that you maybe don’t, in which case it’s impossible to get any bass. If you do get a good seal and still think the Dusk are lacking, maybe IEMs are simply not your thing? Have you tried any bass heavy headphones?

I had considered the ie300s before i got the dusk i decided against them because i found out that theyre noticeably less resolving or something to that effect its been awhile since i looked at them however the 900s and thoses sonys are out of my budget as i have so many other expensive hobbies i cant realistically justify the price as for seal i would say thats not much of a concern i could be wrong but considering with the small moondeop sponge foam tips my ear canal is completely stuffed luckily not quite to a painful point also with the headphones in with those tips i can barely hear anything around me even with no music playing ive also tried listening to them at the correct degree of rotation and notice virtually no difference in sound i think i may have overstated how much i have to rotate them in my ears i think either my ears are defective or i got a dusk tuned like a normal blessing 2 lmao as for bass heavy headphones what ive owned and tried in my life are airpods and pro Samsung buds 1.0 which sounds good in the bass area and eh for the other areas razer kraken and nari ultimate the ultimate has enough bass but the mids and treble are a sad excuse for music also normal ear buds and obviously the moondrops ive already mentioned as well as the aftershocks aeropex i dont have much of an option for over ear headphones because 70% of my music listening is at work so i have to have something discreet so do you think id be better off sticking with my dusks with an eq applied than upgrading to the variations or monarch? Or is there something else $700 or less youd suggest?

Is there any over ear headphones that you could recommend under $500? I jus5 put on my nari ultimate and now that ive heard the dusks for a few weeks i refuse to deal with the distortion that razers headphones have lmao

I can’t really recommend anything, because I haven’t heard that much. However I am surprised when you say that airpods and samsung buds have better bass than dusk. Why don’t you use those then?

Maybe we mean different things when we use the word “bass”. Around 150-300hz for example the dusk has less mid bass than the original blessing 2.

Also what I forgot to mention: I never heard of a virtual tube amp, but those kind of dsp stuff (and bad equalizing) can make things a lot worse contrary to the intention. If you eq in the first place, there shouldn’t be a reason to use stuff like that. And eqing is easy to fuck up, so you may want to revisit your “audio enhancment strategy”. Also pretty every comparison between iems/headphones is useless, if you put on eq settings, that (hopefully at least) only you know.

1 Like

Good to know thanks for the info also i thats a good point i was referring more to subbass and since you mentioned that i just did a test ( one that i thought i have already done but i guess not) as it turns out the dusk actually sounds perfect the issue is my bluetooth dac/amp headband ive been using with the bluetooth one the lowest response i can get is kIck drums with a wired connection they sound like everyone else says they should so are there any wireless options for dac/amps that anyone here knows about that are completely lossless

I don’t know about loseless, but checkout the qudelix 5k. I think it’s considered the best bluetooth dongle. can also be used via usb as a smartphone/desktop dac+amp.

I tried it out and I didn’t miss anything in terms of soundquality when connected via bluetooth. Thinking about buying one for myself

Hey guys! I’m gonna share my impressions about The Variations after using it for about 2 weeks! I won’t be sharing my usual Kpop tracks in this post, cause I wanna put the variations to the test with some of my other favourite korean tracks. Will be focusing more on the Korean Hip Hop, Rap, RnB, and 90s Disco genre side of it.

Tips: Spinfit CP145 (M)
Audio Source: M1 Macbook Air (Volume Bar 5) via Apple Music & Sony NW-A55 (MrWalkman DMP-A50 FEv2 Plus) (Volume 70/120)

I don’t have an IEM that’s in a similar price range to the Variations so I’ll compare it to my FD5 instead. Overall, it’s obviously a better IEM for me, especially for KPOP. In terms of soundstage, I felt it to be kinda same-y to the FD5 which caught me by surprised how lucky I am to be able to experience the FD5 first to understand what Soundstage and Imaging are all about. The big improvement comes in the Imaging. While the Soundstage is the same, Imaging is such a huge improvement and I am able to listen to vocal placement and instrumental separation clear as day.

The Mids and Vocals are just exactly what I want in my music library. It just slays in all of my favourite korean tracks, especially with female vocals. Treble was also tamed which is exactly to my liking. It may not be for Treble heads but this fits just right for me. The Sub-bass of the variations is just perfect for my korean music library. The rumble it gives is heavenly. The mid bass, guitar, and drums took a bit of a back seat in a few songs (for ex. Final Fantasy 14 Shadowbringers Theme) but I won’t be focusing on that in this post right now.

I do want to note that I am not that good in explaining the technicalities of it, but I left some timestamps in the songs that I am showcasing in this post, so you can try give it a listen with your own IEMs!

EPIK HIGH ‘BORN HATER ft. Beenzino, Verbal Jint, B.I, MINO, BOBBY’ is a korean hip hop/ rap track. It’s very much a sub-bass and vocal focus song. I don’t listen to a lot of male vocal tracks but this one really got me on a groove as the vocal dubbing and background vocals are just damn clear. It’s very hard to find a highlight in this track due to how fun it is to listen to from start till finish.

At the 0:12 - 0:52 mark just showcase how the male vocal and the instrumental backing doesn’t overlapped with one another and his vocals just sound crystal clear compared to FD5’s recessed mids. At the 1:32 - 2:10 mark is also another highlight of the male’s fast rap. While his rap is pretty quick, I’m able to pinpoint the details in his rap and it doesn’t distract me from the sub-bassy instrumentals.

Lee Jin Ah ‘RUN (With GRAY) is another sub-bass focus song. It is also a duet track. I used to find in the FD5, the male vocals took a back seat but with the variations, he sounded much more clear here. The sub-bass rumble throughout the entire song is quite a joy to listen to and doesn’t sound dirty. At the 0:41 - 0:53 is a good example of making both male and female vocals mixed real great together.

At the 0:56 - 1:11 mark shows how good the sub-bass rumble can be in the variations. At the 2:06 - 2:34 mark is just me wanting to highlight that keyboard solo. It just sounds so good lol. At the 3:16 mark onwards until the end of the song, while FD5 has this detail of having able to hear the keyboard solo keys on the right channel, The Variations is able to have a more pronounced detail it, making it easier to listen to.

EXID ‘LADY’ is a 90s disco-like track. Overall, listening to the FD5 with this track gave me a bit of trouble listening to the vocals as the instrumentals just overlapped it a lil bit even though it sounded good. That is probably due to the recessed mids of the FD5, but The Variations is able to remedy that to bring the vocals in a forward manner and made it more fun for me to listen to this song.

There isn’t much to highlight here, but at the 0:00 - 0:22 mark just instantly greets you to their backing vocals in both left and right channels in a very clear manner. One last highlight at the 0:41 - 0:58 just shows that not only is imaging quite important in the background vocals side of it, but also accompanying the vocals in the mids which makes it more fun to listen to.

And finally we arrived to Wonder Girls ‘Like this’. This is just one fun song to listen to. While this track has a lot of sub-bass element, this is very much a vocal focus song. The background vocals in both the left and right channel kinda played a big role throughout the entire track, especially during the chorus.

At the 0:18 - 0:38 just shows how detailed the vocals in both left and right channels with the sub-bass being very clean in the mids before transitioning the vocals into the mids at the 0:39 mark onwards. The vocals in their respective verses are just crystal clear throughout the entire track and this is one of the songs that’s been in my constant repeat ever since getting the variations. It’s just so fun to listen to again.

That’s pretty much it for now! I may have accidentally left out some key details in their respective tracks but you can give the songs that I have shared a listen! I might be going back to kpop songs in my next impressions but it’s been fun listening to all of my music library so far and that’s already a wonderful thing for me! Thank you so much for reading!

5 Likes

(This is the initial version of my “review”. I’ll expand on it in the future with more song references and a list of attributes.)

So, I’ve had the Moondrop Variations for about a month now and had a lot of time to listen to them as well as gather my thoughts. tl;dr: These are one of the best IEMs you can find and a benchmark below 1000$.

For those who don’t know, the Moondrop Variations is a lot Tribrid IEM with a current price tag of 520$. They incorporate a single 10mm LCP Diaphragm Dynamic Driver (DD), two Sonion Electrostatic Drivers (EST) and two Softears Customised Balanced Armature Drivers (BA).

I found the cube shaped Packaging to be quite nice. The included cable with interchangeable termination is good although can get a bit tangly at times. You get the usual Moondrop silicon ear tips as well as Foam ear tips. I did not use either though because I have SpinFit CP155. These were already a perfect fit for the Blessing 2 and the same can be said for the Variations. They just fit on the nozzle and make the IEM both easy to insert into my ears as well as super comfy to wear for me.

The IEM itself are very well built. The resin body with smoked look and metal faceplate looks great and has a nice weight to it without being heavy. The IEMs weight 9g per side, so 16g in total.

The first thing I noticed when putting them on and listening to music was how crystal clear and transparent these sound. The Variations are the definition of a neutral with bass boost tuning. The Bass is elevated primarily into the sub bass and extends all the way to 20hz. This is one of the reasons why the Variations sound so clean to me: there is zero Bass bleed into the mids, which leads to vocals just sounding extraordinary. The Bass is impactful, tight and well controlled. When the music calls for it the DD will produce rumbling, detailed bass that’s just so much fun to listen to. The “Hardwired” EP by mitch murder for example is a bliss to listen on with these. Especially “Hardwired” and “Reconnaissance” show what the Dynamic Driver of the Variations is capable of. Bass hits deep, sharp and has a textured body to it while always sounding controlled and never overwhelming anything else. “We Could Get More Machinegun Psystyle! - And More Genre Switches” by Camellia shows the Variations handling vastly different subgenres of Electronic music flawlessly. Especially the Speed and Decay of the DD is made apparent by the Speedcore kicks or DnB parts.

The Mids continue where the Bass left of: Excellency. Both male and female vocals sound crystal clear and fill the room, being brought into the centre of attention when a song wants them to. This is where I need to mention the Variations imaging capabilities which are simply impressive. The Variations provides a Deep and Wide Stage that’s above average in height and knows how to put it to good use. Different instruments are easy to distinct and pinpoint in space. Within those aspects the Variations puts Vocals on a podium and makes them the centre of the song, almost as if the real vocalist is there. I can best describe this podium as then being moved to where the vocalist is in relation to the other instruments as well as more in front or far back given how prominent they are supposed to be.

With the separation and imaging comes great resolution. Macrodetails are resolved beautifully and make the Variations sound very natural and organic. Within all of these qualities the Variations retains coherency between the different parts of the frequency spectrum, which solves one of the biggest gripes I had with the Blessing 2, be it OG or Dusk. The MTV live performance of “Hotel California” by the Eagles lets the Variations demonstrate all of it’s mentioned qualities and makes for an immersive listening experience.

Now while the mids and vocals in general are close to perfection on the Variations, male vocals sometimes lack the slightest bit of body and weight, making them just a hair less full sounding than they should be. This is nitpicking on a high level, mind you. Female Vocals however take all of the mentioned qualities and crank them up to 11. I cannot make this clear enough: Female vocals are a bliss to listen to on the Variations. Crystal clear, airy, detailed and with a resolution very few IEMs could ever hope to achieve. Going even further I need to talk about an entirely different kind of headphone: the open back Sennheiser HD600. Even 24 years after their initial release they are still a benchmark in open back headphones and widely beloved. It speaks for itself that they are still being manufactured and sold to this day. Their biggest quality by far is their incredible midrange, with slight rolled off bass and smooth, but not any less detailed treble resulting in a very musical and enjoyable, non fatiguing listening experience. I have heard a lot of headphones, many much more expensive than the HD600, and almost none of them made vocals sound as great and beautiful like the HD600.

Which leads me back to the Variations. They sound to me as if Moondrop was able to fit the HD600 inside of a small IEM shell, swap the rolled off bass for one of the cleanest and best executed bass responses I have ever heard, and improve on the Treble, giving it much more energy, air and sparkle while still not being fatiguing. Or: the Variations are IEM HD600 on steroids. The HD600 are one of my favourite headphones that I own, and I could not be any more happy how much the Variations remind me of them and improve on their shortcomings. On “NEUROMANCER” by RIM the female vocalist absolutely shines in an experimental-induced track.

I have already touched on it, but at this point you should not be surprised: the Treble on the Variations is excellent as well. It sounds quite airy and energetic with a sparkle that I would almost describe as “brilliance”. The two EST Drivers are implemented very well and round off the Variations into one tonally and technically coherent package.

The Variations improves on the Blessing 2 (OG or Dusk) in pretty much every single aspect. It is the technical and tonally superior IEM in my opinion. More detailed and resolving, with a bigger stage, even better separation and most importantly much, much better coherency. The Blessing 2 sometimes sounded a bit “smeared” over, especially on busy tracks where the Variations just keeps on going and retains a much clearer sound image. The lack of mid bass elevation also leads to the Variations being the much more reference-like IEM compared to the Dusk.

Compared to the Aria it shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Variations outperforms it by a significant margin. Still, the Aria is one of my daily drivers when I go out and want to listen to music, and it’s warmer tonality is a great complement to the Variations neutral tuning. The Variations truly is an excellently tuned neutral reference that is never boring thanks to it’s bass boost, stellar mids and sparkly treble.

I’m just really happy with the Variations. It gets my highest recommendation and has set the bar in the sub 1000$ price range incredibly high. I’d say it’s the benchmark for anything near it’s price point, both in tonality and technicalities.

(This was my first real “review”, so input and constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!)

10 Likes

Congratz on your first :slight_smile: Well done, keep it up

1 Like

Also, thanks for remind me I left my Variations review half-done >_>

3 Likes

Kinda itching to grab variations.

I really should wait for the S8 update. Jeez.