šŸ”¶ MoonDrop Variations

Hello, Iā€™m fairly new to hifiguides in general. My previous iems are blon 01, blon 03, kz dq6, moondrop spaceship, and kz edx pro. Sources: as of now cx31993 and oem alc5686 4.4mm dongle. After trying some budget iems, I realized that thereā€™s no significant upgrade to budget stuffs, I could try to go around 300 usd, but I prefer one time big time purchase. I mainly use earbuds(diy) because thereā€™s something in the mids of the buds that I canā€™t get with my previous iems. Iā€™ve been eying moondrop variations for my purchase. Iā€™ve listed some reasons not to buy it. Iā€™m hoping that you could help to test some tracks links if the reasons will affect my listening experience.
Reasons not to buy it:
Fit
Thin mids?
Mid bass lacking?
Can be shouty?
Male vocals sound shallow?
It has around the same size as kz dq6? Itā€™s good if it is around the same size, dq6 have a good fit for me.
ps. I could probably get moondrop variations for around 432 USD brand new.

Test tracks/playlists(youtube):

1 Like

Forgot to add, which is a better option
Straight to moondrop variations+current dongles or blessing 2 dusk+(fiio btr5 or qudelix 5k)?

I canā€™t speak to whether you should get the Variations vs. your current IEMs. All I can say is they are amazing to my ears - basically end game as I am already over and above diminishing returns.

Re: Variations vs. Blessing + dongles. They both sound the same.
The only differences are that Qudelix 5K has EQ and both 5K and BTR5 have better volume control vs. dongle.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Please share some playlist /songs that you mostly enjoy with variations so I can test it if will align with my preferences.

Youā€™ll be happier with Variations + current dongles. It sounds hella great with my Sony NW-A55 and thatā€™s the least powered DAP.

EDIT: Supposed to reply to @Maki_Zenin , my bad!

1 Like
2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Now Iā€™ve got less reasons not to buy it haha. Itā€™s size is the only challenger for now. But I wish that moondrop would update the variations like moondrop chu update from spaceship.

Tips will definitely help with the fitting. My ears arenā€™t that big but it fits nicely with mine and I was able to wear it at ease for more than 3 hours. Iā€™m still using the spinfits CP145 (M) today and is still comfortable!

1 Like

I donā€™t think a good dongle vs BTR5/Qudelix will make a significant sonic difference either way. The main benefit of these is the Bluetooth option, and the PEQ on the Qudelix 5K.

I have both IEMs and both are great. Personally, I find the Dusk a better all-round tuning than the Variations. The Variations is very good, but itā€™s a more opinionated tuning, the Dusk is safer with more stuff. And the Variations is also $200 more, itā€™s not $200 better, IMO. So Iā€™d say just get the Dusk. But if you do get the Variations, itā€™s also very good.

2 Likes

Thanks, my only issue with dusk is I donā€™t have the payment option to buy it directly from shenzenaudio but if someone resells their unit it might be a good option. For the Q5K Iā€™m also thinking of the portability + peq so if ever I want to change the sound of the dusk it will be easy.

Anyone can share a photo side of moondrop variations/blessing 2 dusk with the kz dq6(Iā€™ve seen a post that says that the size of variations/b2d is around the size of kz dq6) so Iā€™ll have an idea for the fitting and size.

+1 for Q5K. I got it for the PEQ and am very happy the ability to EQ on the go

3 Likes

2 Likes

China ohhh ChinašŸ˜”

4 Likes

Could you compare variations vs yanyin cannon?

2 Likes

=

The variations are more of an open backā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.

ā€”ā€”

Joking aside, Iā€™m pretty pissed that this is now the 5th ChFi earphone with major quality defects!

Iā€™ve made up my mind that Iā€™ll never pay more than $100 for chinese crap again, so it wonā€™t hurt my wallet that much

9 Likes

They need to learn from Faaeal(buds in general), their glue is strong afšŸ¤£

That adds up to reasons not to buy md variations

I got weak and pressed the order button :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

No regrets. Youā€™ll like them and congrats!

1 Like