Mqa worth it in 2019

Hi all,
I thinking about switching from spofity premium to Tidal Hi-Fi.
Just have a question about MQA is really worth it?

1 Like

Well that’s opening up alot of discussion lol. I personally don’t think so, but I don’t use mqa on a daily basis. I do think the quality bump from lossless cd quality streaming is worth it, but with mqa to take full advantage imo you would want to have a mqa ready dac. I would be curious to hear from people who use mqa often though regarding what they think

1 Like

I use it daily and have a reasonably high end car audio system. There is absolutely more information in MQA files vs normal Hifi (talking Tidal specifically). Whether it’s “worth it” is up to you. I’m invested enough into it that I’m gonna buy an MQA dac for my desktop setup as well. Tidal is just very straight forward and convenient, and has 99% of everything I’ve ever searched for.

1 Like

I dropped Tidal because of MQA. To me it seemed like a solution to a fictitious problem, and I didn’t want to pay to replace all my dacs (this was before the new ifi). I went with Qobuz. The library isn’t as good yet but it sounds better, even in Redbook to Redbook comparison, IMO. Is MQA worth it? Given that there are now 2 lossless streaming competitors (Qobuz, Amazon) that don’t require a specially equipped dac…

2 Likes

I just don’t think mqa sounds as good as a proper flac imo. The detail is there but the spatial information is kinda lacking imo

2 Likes

I can’t say on its sound quality. It can’t sound better than native FLAC, and I’ve heard lots of those. My issue is more philosophical. I objected to having to pay a premium for MQA dacs when there are other lossless streaming options that work to full capability with any dac I choose.

1 Like

That was another concern when it was released, because it was almost like a drm in the form of what devices you could use and where you could get it. People have figured out how to convert it to flac now, but that was a concern

Regarding the actual quality, I do think just regular flac sounds more natural to be but IDK it’s not a massive difference. I would still take mqa over some high quality mp3, but I would still prefer flac

tidal (even with just the first layer software mqa encoding) sounds loads better than spotify (Depending on the master recording, your gear, etc) in my opinion. Tidal’s hifi (cd quality) sounds actually very good.
even if your dac doesn’t support mqa i still recommend tidal.
tidal is pretty affordable if you’re a student, first responder, or military

That’s my thing is, the Tidal app is so good, I’m willing to work with MQA vs Flac. Not saying MQA alone is better, but for me the whole package of Tidal is better than the others I’ve tried.

1 Like

i reallly want to try mqa but my wallet would not be happy with a new DAC