Mqa worth it in 2019

I did not get the update pushed to my account yet, but I did download the desktop app from Amazon which included the exclusive option. I’m also observing the same thing that you and @Ohmboy are. The exclusive mode seems to only mute other apps but still outputs the bit and sampling rate that is whatever the audio device is set to. This happened through both optical and USB connections. Swing and a miss, Amazon :roll_eyes:

Edit: I’m also using Windows 10. But given @Ohmboy’s feedback it appears Amazon got pretty lazy with this feature across platforms.

2 Likes

Yep. Entirely.

I’ll probably try out Amazon HD when my son finishes college and the student discount is no more. By then maybe they’ll have resolved all the niggling issues you guys hate. In the mean time, I’m not a fan of contributing to Bezos’ wealth when I have an option.

You prefer to contribute to Jay-Z’s wealth? :laughing::wink:

Last I heard amazon was heading towards carbon neutrality… pretty hard feat considering shipping etc

Jay-z also does alot of good with his money though too

Bezos would jump out of a window if he woke up tomorrow and only had Jay-Z’s dough.

1 Like

Yep, I understand that. I was holding out on Amazon for this exclusive feature. Now that they’ve half-assed it, I think I’ll just stick with Spotify and Qobuz.

Me too. I just joined Qobuz and canceled my AmaHD.

My issue with dropping it is the Amazon catalog has more of what I listen to, and way more of it hires.

That’s completely valid. Amazon’s library is larger than Qobuz’s, which is why this exclusive mode failure is so disappointing. But Qobuz has the vast majority of the stuff I listen to and don’t already own. Spotify has the huge library too and also lets you seemlessly integrate their streaming catalog and your previously owned local files into the same playlists. I think Amazon will eventually get there, and I’ll look at them again when they get there.

MQA just makes me nervous about what DAC i will use so i can make the best of tidal (which im stuck with because student discount makes it cheaper than the amazon cult or qobuz)

I think in that we all agree, MQA sucks ballz and is entirely unnecessary in an industry which is still dominated by 16/44 FLAC.

1 Like

Amazon finally has exclusive mode with the latest update.

They did, but it’s not what we were looking for. Look up in this thread starting here:

oh my. oh well, maybe its bugged. hopefully they will fix it soon

MQA is not even an answer looking for a question, I think it is a pointless diversion and technological dead end being flogged by certain companies for purely commercial reasons.

I am not an advocate of high-res stereo in general. If labels were really serious about improving sound quality I think they would address mastering issues. OK I see why optimising music for car audio and BT speakers makes commercial sense given how most people listen to music but adding more bit depth etc to over compressed junk still leaves over compressed junk. Now some labels are claiming that the high res versions use improved masters set up for decent audio gear as opposed to car audio and BT speakers, but then the improvements are from using better mastering and would be just as much an improvement in 16/44,1.

Where high res formats make sense is to take advantage of multi-channel surround sound, but there it is the more immersive sound experience rather than silly bit rates etc that makes a difference. And for some reason despite several starts and being very mature technology surround sound music recordings have never really taken off.