🔷 MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed

Hello,
So in the planar sector you will always find the bass to be anaemic compared to dynamic headphones.
When I listen to my Fostex before and then the Lcd 2c after, the first moment is always oh dear.
It takes a few minutes to get used to it.
The other thing is, comparing the Lcd 2c to the Aeon, some say it’s thinner on the Aeon in terms of bass and vice versa.
Seems to be a matter of taste for each individual.
The other question is whether the closed version delivers more or better bass than open?

It’s certainly a bit difficult to find headphones that deliver the mids and highs of a planar and bass of a dynamic.

My tip would be to try the Denon D7200 or the D5200.
They are also very good in terms of isolation.
And they definitely have enough bass, good mids and highs.
I would take the D7200 on a somewhat more neutral amplifier so that it doesn’t flash too much bass in the mids, otherwise it will be too much.

1 Like

Hey thanks for the response! I should clarify, I actually love the typical bass response of planars like the LCD 2+ series and usually find it more enjoyable, deeper and richer than the bass produced on dynamic headphones - which is why headphones like the original Aeons tend to catch me off guard.

I’ve never come across anyone who thought that the bass on the LCD-2 is thinner than the Aeons - at least certainly not the original Aeons, so that’s quite a hot take! I’ve usually seen the LCD series referenced as the stereotypical rich, dark, warm, deep planar sound with the visceral bass response.

I’ll try and audition the Denons - thanks for the suggestion!

Still very interested in the Aeons though - really want to understand if the RT/Drop version takes it into warmer territory as some of the early reviews seem to suggest.

if anyone has the Aeon with ZMF pilot pads let me know if you can adjust freely without the pad loosening or just coming loose.

sorry for the spam hope thats okay, definitely don’t want to pull the trigger on it without knowing the possible challenges so i wanted to push a couple copypastas on this hope you can forgive me