Music Podcast Recommendations

I’m always on the lookout for good music podcasts. My preference generally is for music podcasts that actually play music as opposed to spending an hour just talking about music (eg Broken Record).

NPR New Music Friday - is a pretty good weekly podcasts which highlights in their opinion some notable new releases every week. I don’t necessarily love all their suggestions, but they regularly highlight picks which wouldn’t be on my radar.

Song Exploder - I guess a lot of people would be familiar with this. Each episode deals with a single track, you get the artist talking through how the track was created and get to hear it evolve into final form from demos, how the various elements are layered etc.

“Sound Opinions.”

Longtime Chicago and national music journalists/reviewers Greg Kot and Jim DeRogaitis interview artists, review new music, find “buried treasures” from obscure bands, have “themed” shows, listener questions, the occasional live performance, etc. Each weekly episode is about 45 minutes to an hour.

It’s sort of like “All Songs Considered” on NPR minus the pretense and the hard lean toward indie rock and “art rock.” Genres covered in “Sound Opinions:” Rock, hip-hop, R&B, pop.

A fantastic listen.

1 Like