Mute or switching?

Am I the only one who seems to have a hard time finding equipment (Dac’s/amps or combo’s) that can switch or mute one while using the other.
I run 2 Kali lp6 monitors out of the xlr’s on my Jotunheim. When I plug in my phones the speakers do not mute. It seems that the rca’s and xlr’s are active at the same time (when I purchased this I was not aware it did not and was quite awhile before I plugged phones in) I am finding switching is a uncommon thing…

I realize I am a rookie at this but enjoy the hell out of the rabbit hole so to speak. ( example= Adam T5v’s on my sim rig). Without spending a FORTUNE is there a good Dac / amp all in one combo that will switch? Or is there a separate way to do? ie= listening through xlr then hit a button and switch?

Lately I have purchased more phones and wish to be able to do this. I know there are ways by purchasing passive controllers and such but would rather have some way to do this as a all in one.

I looked at the Questyle cma400i but have read of problems and bad customer service? also I have looked at the Topping DX70pro but was advised it might not like my phones. I currently have HD558. HD58X, HE4XX and others I am looking to purchase like the Focal Elex.

I should have specified this: Jotunheim has the Dac card in it so it covers both Dac and amp. I DID just notice the Asgard 3 mentions switching. Curious as to opinion?

I use an NFB-1AMP it has amazing volume control and you can switch between headphones and pre amp. Check the D28 it includes a DAC http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/D28/D28EN.htm

The a3 is pretty sweet

Hi Mon!! so I have been looking at the Asgard 3, It does not have XLR out but I guess I could use adapters for my Kali’s as I have those (xlr to rca)… I believe I could use them on it.

Is multibit that much better than 4490? I would need one of them

You would just want to grab rca to 1/4 inch yes cables and you would be good to go

It would be an upgrade but it’s not needed per se

Currently I have xlr cables and I purchased but have not used these small xlr to rca adapter cables (about 4 inches long)

This should work I believe.

That should most likely be just fine

If I decide to go the route of the Asgard 3 then I just had a thought. Since my SMSL SU-8 ( ES9038Q2M dac) would be replaced by my Jotunheim from this system. I could then use it with the Asgard and avoid purchasing the dac card… Hmmm that is not a bad sounding idea LOL! Saves $200 and that is always good

2 Likes