My DT 880 Edition broke

Share some credit love :wink:

Emotiva A-100 works really well indeed, just as Zeos said, and I also like them on WA6-SE

1 Like

That’s a lot of $$$ amp for a $199 phone xD But I have the A-100(for my speakers, mainly), and that thing is GREAT! :heart:

Agree, but I just got the amp 2 days ago and DT 880 600ohm were the only thing I have over 52 ohm. I am thinking of buying HD600 specially for the tube amp. After the tube burning will be complete I will try Arya again. First impressions were not great.

if it didn’t I would be amazed considering how much power that thing pumps out especially once modified. Completely unnecessary for the headphone that can be driven just fine off a $100 unit potentially less but great for if you have speakers too

things are not that obvious. The fact that A-100 is perfect for the DT880 is a miracle. Headphones alone are not that great. You need a a powerful amp, that has elevated base and decreased high range. So you need an amp that corrects the response graph and with suficient power to force that driver to compensate for chamber acustic, were is needed. And after all that you need that amp to be in the same price range as the headphone. You put the T50 RP for example on that amp and very soon you start to realize that the muzic is not fun anymore. A cheap amp with a cheap headphone that happen to fir perfectly together. That is a miracle.

I disagree by a bit here, I wouldn’t call A-100 perfect for the headphone at all… it’s just good for it as it’s good for others as well… I would argue that I prefer others such as Asgard 3 over such an amp due to its spatial recreation and other characteristics. I wouldn’t say you need something with elevated bass and decreased high range as this is subjective preference for the headphone. You also definitely do not need an amp in the same price range as the headphone, as stated… you can drive them fully just fine with something as a liquid spark from monoprice which is $100(can be found for $70 on the used market) and this not only adds that warmth but also rolls off the treble yet is cheaper than the 880 itself by a good margin powering the 880 completely to full with power to spare and headroom.

1 Like

Whoa, whoa whoa… A $229 amp, to change how one $199 phone sounds? #yikes. I guess if it works lol. I hate amp coloration/distortion, personally!

1 Like

at that price range, for an old speaker amp that it is, you ask a little too much. Sure, it is great for us that fits so well with this headphone, but it is a decent amp for what it is.

Not commenting on the a100 for use as a headphone amp, but for some headphones like the 880 600 ohm or hd600 even though they are more budget leaning headphones I think it’s pretty worthwhile to spend just as much as or if not a bit more on an amp for them if you like the headphone, they scale fairly well and it’s a pretty simple way to get much more out of them (as long as you don’t go too over the top to where it isn’t that worthwhile)

Pretty unavoidable, all amps have a sound and there is no way around that, your best bet is to match your amp to the headphone that complements it well for the most desirable result

1 Like

after upgrading like I did, agreed. It does scale exceptionally well, granted I wouldn’t say to go as crazy as like $400+ units or rather, units costing more than an RNHP. Just my opinion though as at that point I would much prefer to stay with the T1.2 as it scales just as well but sounds a lot better to me personally.

Yes you want to make sure you don’t accidentally spend so much on the amp to where you could just have a better headphone that eclipses the one you have in performance regardless of the amp. This being said the better headphones are even more demanding on what you drive them with in the end lol. But I would rather have a t1.2 with an asgard 3 than a 880 600 ohm with a liquid platinum or rnhp (well, honestly I might take the 880 600 with the higher end amps but that’s not what most people would do lol)

placed an edit up there… nah I would take an 880 600 ohm with the rnhp over the T1.2 but that to me is like the absolute maximum to the 880… they are for sure gorgeous sounding headphones. Though the moment I ended up getting an LP in house with the t1.2 the 880 was tossed. I just recently tested the T1.2 to the violectric… more on THAT gorgeous piece of machinery later

1 Like

“corrects” :disappointed:

1 Like