My introduction to hifi

I definitely liked it better. It was more detailed. The low end cleared up, but it wasn’t until I recently put it on the TA-20 with Mullards that it’s really starting to shine.

Little Bear MC3 3x3 XLR/RCA switcher

Far left or right? The headphone on the far left are the Sivga 006. The one on the right is the A700X modified to 3.5mm detachable, and leather headstrap from the T-X0.

It’s good, but it needs a clean amp and plenty of power to run. It’s a little on the bright side, and just wide enough that the detail doesn’t become fatiguing. Was my main for a while before I got the HE5SE.

I think what I would be looking for in the future is something with more sound stage, more forward mids, more slam, and about the same or slightly warmer signature. I don’t really know the audible difference in details yet, so no idea what I would look for in that quality.

Maybe you should look into the bassy wood cup headphones? The Fostex-EMU-Denon’s They are similar but the Fostex are more fun/existing the Denons are more natural neutral and the EMU’s are in between from what i hear. The Drop made Fostex’s. the TR-X00/TH-X00 are no longer sold and you’d have to find them used.

The Massdrop TR-X00/TH-X00 are in order of bassyness: the Ebony, Mahogany and Purple heart. Theres also the 610. The Denons are the AH-D5200, AH-D7200 and AH-D9200. And the EMU’s are just 1 model.

Or the Audeze headphones might also be good for you. The LCD 2’s

@M0N Would you say for headphones that have too tight of a clamp force you can always, usually, sometimes, or almost never safely stretch it out to reduce it to a comfortable amount?

It really depends on the headphone. With the focals more use will wear them in more but I wouldn’t suggest stretching them whatsoever. With sennheisers you can stretch them and bend the metal on the headband slider to reduce clamp. With hifiman you can bend the older style headband (older comfort strap style on the he400i) to reduce clamp, but not on the new style. So it really just depends

@M0N Out of curiosity, how do you think rnhp + bitfrost 2 compares to rme adi-2 dac.

I personally think it a higher tier setup for listening imo, the rnhp is a fair bit better amp than the adi2 fs imo. The adi2 is a solid dac but for actual listening I really prefer the bifrost 2

If you go with Audeze LCD 2’s, X, or the 3 I think this setup is the best signal chain you could ask for.

@M0N Ok, I just realized plugging my headphones into my laptop for the first time since I have a 4 pin xlr to 3.5m adapter now, that it says “Which device did you plug in? Headphone, Speaker Out, S/PDIF-Out” so I guess maybe I could use the enog2 pro after all.

Yeah perhaps, that would reasonably suggest that it has a mini toslink connector in there.

@M0N Idk why I started thinking about this, but I wonder if there is anything out there that could potentially fool someone into thinking they are actually hearing a car about to crash into them.

Depends on the person but I would say it’s most likely achievable in the right situation with lots of things, if someone’s caught off guard it can be simple.

Think of the one really common prank of sending someone that person knocking on the door clip, can scare the crap out of you if you don’t expect it coming. I don’t have the best example of the sound effect on hand, but I found a youtube version below (although there is a few weird artifacts in the audio with this one)

1 Like

@M0N I’m thinking about maybe getting an iem at 150$ and under. I’ve only really looked at the moondrop starfields so far and I’m curious about what else in this price range I should be looking at. Don’t really know what to mention to narrow it down besides it needing to not be horrible at sealing out sound, just needs to be decent at least, and I don’t want anything super bright or super bassy. Once I know what to look at, I’ll go into researching them. Also, please let me know if I’m ever using @ too much or if there really isn’t a reason for me to use it and anything else I could potentially be doing that bothers you. I just want to state that in case there is any reason you need to hear it from me first before bringing it up. Just don’t want to be a bother.

No problem, the moondrop starfield would be really solid imo, they do a decent job isolating and are pretty neutral and enjoyable, also have good technicalities as well

I’m not sure how I haven’t thought to ask this yet. Do people only use iems on solid state amps or can they be used on hybrid and/or tube amps?

So typically most iems are on hybrid or solid state amps, but there are some tube amps that can play well with iems, but they aren’t common. Really depends, but I tend to see single dynamics play well on a tube over ba iems, but it really depends. My favorite amp for iems at the moment does happen to be a desktop tube amp at the moment but take that with a grain of salt

Oh, also, if a frequency response on a headphone and iem was the exact same, would they sound the same or different because of one being in the ear and the other out the ear?

Very different because of many other things besides the frequency response, it’s really really different lol

What does the term layering mean?

I feel a bit confused in the difference between timbre and detail. If you hear a guitar being played for instance, what attributes of it sounds is timbre and what attributes are detail. Also, what is timbre specific to? (aka timbre depends on the device, instrument, frequencies, or something else?)