My Speaker Amp Broke - Looking for a Replacement

Hello all,

So I’ve started a thread a few weeks ago originally stating that I’m looking for a new amplifier to bring out the details from the Canton Reference Jubileé floorstanders in my living room. Many helpful, experienced people gave me insight regarding upgrading my system, and we came to the conclusion that the DAC needs an upgrade - decided on the Sonnet Morpheus from Cees Ruijtenberg. Unfortunately, that would have to wait now as I went home yesterday, turned on the system and Dua Lipa’s “Future Nostalgia” was only playing from the left speaker. I unplugged the XLRs connecting the Auralic preamp/headamp to the amplifier, plugged in my headphones, and the Auralic Headamp was working fine. So I came to the conclusion that the right side of the Speaker Amplifier stopped deciding to work. The No.27 will have to step aside and I’ll find some time in the future to open it up and replace some electrolytic caps, hopefully bringing it to work again.

As of right now: I’m looking for a replacement amp - preferably an integrated amp, but if it is compelling enough it can also be a pure power amplifier or monoblocks. I don’t have any problems buying from a Chinese manufacturer, and I have the most fun closing my eyes and (from time to time) pointing to where I hear instruments in the stage. In other words, I enjoy a system’s imaging very much. I listen to lower volumes, which is why an amplifier that could really sing at low volumes would be a huge plus.

As of music, I listen to Pop (The Weeknd, Dua Lipa, Maroon 5), R&B (Christian Aguilera, Alicia Keyes), Jazz (Stacey Kent, Michael Buble, Cheryl Bentyne, Wynton Marsalis, Bucky Pizzarelli) and retro rock (Eagles, Scorpions). The three top priorities are: Bass Impact, Subbass Presence and Imaging.

Currently, (I’m a follower of Andrew Robinson’s YouTube channel), the Musical Fidelity M8xi integrated Amplifier for 5500 Euros looks very attractive, or the Nu Vista 600 from the same company retailing for around 5900 Euros. I enjoy reading about components, so feel free to throw any interesting products at me :slight_smile: Looking to stay under 6000 Euros.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Vichy

Have a look at this:

https://pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/cor-electronics/cor-integrated

Are you okay with buying second hand?

Those remote controlled tone and balance sliders look like a great deal of fun! I’ll read more into it, however, looking at the 95wpc class A/B, will it be able to power the Cantons? These floorstanders can take 350W continuous and 650W peak. I’m thinking a more powerful amplifier can deliver a bigger dynamic range? Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

Oh sure thing.

I’d take a look at the Peachtree audio Nova 300, as well as the Anthem STR. Both can give serious power.

If you want some really serious power though, I’d check out Crown Amplifiers

1 Like

I’ve just been reading up on true class-A designs. Apparently, as little as 20wpc in pure Class A is enough to power most loudspeakers, so I take back saying that 95wpc isn’t enough (I’m finding this power thing quite confusing!). The amplifier that got me reading is Sugden’s flagship: the IA-4. Can get one used for 3950 Euros. You heard this amp, the Nova300 or Anthem?

1 Like

I’ve heard the nova 300, as well as the anthem, both are great but I did prefer the 300. It was a tad more relaxed. Both have a great soundstage and imaging though so needn’t to worry. The PMC Cor is going to be my next amp upgrade, they are truly fantastic. I got to demo one yesterday on the PMC Twenty 26 and it was awesome.

And yep, amplifier classes are a weird thing to get your heard around, I prefer Class A or A/B as I want a continuous source of stable power

1 Like

Got a deal on the Musical Fidelity Nu Vista 800 from a dealer. Their demo piece for 6000 Euros, and a full 2-year warranty. Think that closes the deal :smiley:

I have a Sugden, the FPA-4. It’s the smaller model and I use it for a pair of Falcon LS3/5a speakers. These are balanced amplifiers running pure class A. The get HOT, but run strong and have a beautiful tube-like warmth to the sound in my opinion and as reviewed by professionals. The company is very well established and aged appropriately. They are a bit on the affordable side and they do almost zero advertising. I did not look up your speakers to learn their sensitivity rating but if they are not power hungry low sensitivity monsters the Sugden line may have some thing to offer you and since you are in Europe may be something you can get your hands on.
I adore my Sugden but use it almost exclusively for this one pair of speakers I find that it mates particularly well with them and brings out the sound they are well known for. Best of luck in your search hope my comments are taken with the well intention meant.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. I looked into Sugden’s website and found their Sapphire Line pretty beautiful! The FPA-4, unfortunately, went out of production in 2019. I’m sure it would power the Cantons with ease, given it’s a huge 3 way with dual 8.5’ bass drivers, a 7’ midrange driver, and a Alu-Ceramic-Oxide tweeter. Looking foward to trying Sugden Electronics som time. I’d be interested if they made a dac :smiley:

Hi Vichy, have you been living with the NuVista 800? I’m interested to hear the thoughts of someone who’s spent some time with it. I’m thinking about pulling the trigger today on the NuVista 600…

Hello EtheKey,

The Nu Vista Series will give you an awesome time, especially if you have hard to drive, low efficiency speakers. I haven’t heard the 600, but I imagine it must have all the character of the 800, being its little brother. If you’re in Germany, there’s a deal on SG Akustik for just under 4000 Euros. Just return it after fourteen days if you don’t like it.

Cheers,
Vichy