Natural progression?

True. I guess it depends on if you want direct step up or something different. I really wish hifiman would change up their pads some more too. My brother in laws pads were pretty much falling a part after like 7 months. Although it is is only pair of headphones overall. So they get plenty of use lol.

Exactly why everyone should just own 20 plus pairs. If you think about it it’s more responsible because you’ll not have to change pads as much :wink:. Maybe I’ll try that line on my gf with my next pair lol.

Yeah, I personally mentioned the sundara here as an option to go with if he wanted 2 headphones and since he liked both the 4xx and 58x he could get something like a sundra and then a headphone that would be a similar upgrade to the 58x. I was saying that if he wanted to jump to one higher tier to consider something like the elex or other aforementioned options

I don’t doubt your logic. I trust your recs more than anyone else I know ha. I think for me when I was earlier in my headphone collecting I tried getting like 4 or 5 different sounding headphone then began upgrading from there. But i guess if you also find something you know you love then direct upgrading is probably the best route.

I’m also just a hypocrite lol. I’m up to 20 and I’d say a good half of them are “similar” in fr lol. But then I almost never sell them. Somehow it’s hard for me to let go of ones I almost never listen to anymore ha

1 Like

I empathize fully…pulled the X2HRs down the other day just for fun, as my higher tier stuff’s been getting the attention lately. Almost forgot how much I enjoyed them.

Definitely. I try to get down some of my old ones to give them love haha. I think my mdr1as probably are the most neglected these days. Maybe because I’m not so into closed back anymore.

The m50xs are the only that I let go. Liked them as one of my first pairs but then found it harder and harder and harder t listen to them and them with the more cans I got. The when you my brother so he could start his journey. My sister in law hates me for that one haha.

found a set of B stock nightowl carbons for $299… How different are they from the suggested nighthawks?

They are more tame, more normal sounding per se, still good but personally my preference leans towards the hawks

I guess the research continues… Lol! Being stuck at home during the weekends can provide the time to look I suppose. Could be expensive too.

is there much difference in sound between the nighthawk and nighthawk carbon?

The og nighthawk comes with one set of pads while the carbon comes with 2 pairs of pads (the og have hybrid pads and the carbon have 1 pleather set and 1 suede set). The carbon has a shorter cable with an inline mic where the og has a longer cable w/o a mic. The og hawk sounds a bit more unique than the carbons but they are closer for sure, the carbon is slightly more toned down but maintains the good aspects of the og

Hmmm. Intriguing to say the least. OG set on Ebay $289.00 at the moment… Tempting. Would be different then my 4xx and 58x I am sure.

Couldn’t resist… ordered a set of Nighthawks. Interested to see.

3 Likes

Yes they will be very interesting for sure lol, curious to see what you think about them

1 Like

Between the laugh track from different reviewers. Joshua, Zeos etc. As well as many raving about them here. You have mentioned the sound to me as well. I just had to try this. Like Monty Python said… And now for something completely different!!

1 Like