Need advice for 1000$ + Headphones

Yeah, typically you are paying the extra for like the 5% difference, but to some people that tiny improvement means a ton to them

I don’t know about that lol, I guess if you were comparing to extremely high end estats perhaps, but really the koss would be an improvement but not leaps and bounds ahead imo. Significant difference, but I don’t think it would be night and day. You still have some capable headphones, it’s not like you are coming from 1st Gen beats or dollar store earbuds

So, you don’t think the Electrostats are that unique?
I do have some pretty good headphones and amps, but I had read that Electrostats have a sound that you don’t hear from most headphones.

I am afraid that I will buy them and then go, “well that’s not really anything special”.

I actually sent an email to an Elex guy and a Cascade guy. Both are on my wishlist. By Monday, I will pick one.

Shane D

It’s not that they aren’t unique, I just don’t think they are as drastic of a change as people say. It’s still sounds like a pair of headphones, just different. I’m not trying to dissuade you here lol, just mainly trying to respond to the “nothing you have can come close” claim. The esp95x is definitely my go to pick for new estats under 1k USD, as I personally prefer it to the l300 and l500. If you want to try a different type of headphone, go for it. I just think the elex is a better deal for what you can get it for imo

1 Like

I don’t get the chance to try many headphones before I buy them. I’ve tried endgame headphones at canjams but <$1k headphones are rare to see there. At the current <$500 usd sale price the E95x are tough to beat, but I may prefer the Aivas at $600 all things considered

so am i at the 5% difference point? if i go from Aivas and Elex to a more expensive headphone?

There are only two shops in my town and they stock very little so every purchase is an online adventure.

Shane D

1 Like

“I hate Dark or Warm headphones. I lean more towards Treble and Clarity.” In that case, stay FAR AWAY from any Audeze headphone. They have the darkest/warmest house sound you can get.

Focal Clear, Utopia, would be good options, definitely look into a Stax headphone if you don’t need crazy bass quantity. Electrostatics are revered for their treble, clarity, detail and speed. Fostex is a good option to for less money, far better than Audeze’s for clarity and treble, possibly detail too to a degree. Phenomenal bass impact and quantity if that interests you.

The fostex then might be to warm for him as well then if you are referring to a biodyna, but I do agree that audezes might not be the best choice for him lol

HD800s job done… :+1:

The only concern with that would be the soundstage imo, as while impressive, it’s pretty unnatural

Well perhaps it’s a bit more, point being you are hitting diminishing returns pretty quickly now

sorry i should have said. I like bass but im not a bass head. Also i dont like a lot of soundstage. i like dynamic range but not a lot of soundstage. i prefer a more narrow close soundstage like the Sendy Aiva’s.

I’m really considering the ZMF Aeolus Zeos says their really good and they seem to be his new favorite headphone. Has anyone tried these or any of the ZMF line?

From what you described, the adx5000 sounds like a great option, and if you don’t mind a more strange timbre, the l700 would be something you enjoy as well.

The focal clear as well imo

The LCD x might have the sonic properties you like, but might be a bit lacking in treble for your tastes

Perhaps a used abyss Diana could be up your alley as well if you found a good enough price

I’m planning to one day own the entire ZMF line with the possible exception of the T50RP mods. I love the design and personal touch. I’ve been in contact with Zach and he seems just as accessible as others have stated. If you are on the fence, I think if you email to [email protected] he will steer you in the right direction

Spend $2000 and take more time to think about it. IMO if you’re looking at price first and then your sound signature second then you’re always going to have something better a price point higher and over time, you’ll spend twice the money you would have.

1 Like

omg! i’ve been watching Zeos reviewing the ZMF line and he was really impressed with the Aeolus 1200$! he called them headphone of the year. he said they are on par with the L700! he says they redefine sound! Like your there in teh recording! And the sound signature he mentions them having sound exactly up my alley! These are made by the same guy who did the Argons! They are semi-open too! these look like the ones i should get. Anyone heard these?

I have a pair on the way, but they are considered the warmest open back of the ZMF line if I’m not mistaken. He’s not the same guy who makes the Argons. That’s Mod House. But he does make T50RP mods in the Ori and ZMF Classic

Regardless of sound, the ZMFs are works of art. I’d much prefer to spend the $1k+ on his headphones over a Hifiman on build quality alone. Read up on his pads and recommendations. The pads are pretty amazing, and really do change the sound depending on which one you choose