Need advice for 1000$ + Headphones

The Argons use ZMF pads. I have mine on right now and they are super comfortable. I mainly use my Argons for gaming and when I really want to feel physical bass in music. Another thing to keep in mind is that Zeos usually prioritizes cost vs. value and the Aeolus is the least expensive ZMF open back. He wasn’t a fan of the Verite, but check other reviews on it. Most seem to think that it’s without question the best of the ZMF line. And some feel that the Verite Closed may be even better. I was saving up for the Verite, but I saw the Blackwood Aeolus Limiteds were down to 5 available and couldn’t pass up the limited wood version. I will own his entire line one day. Here is the Verite C review and I definitely suggest checking the headfi forums-pretty much all of them have universally stellar reviews:

i think your thinking of the Auteur. the Aeolus he mentions as having more exciting like sound and the Auteurs having more relaxed sund, check the reviews:

Aeolus:

Auteur:

yeah, I disagree with that. I’ve watched pretty much every Zeos review (non-iEM) for the past 3 years and I’ve learned what I agree and disagree with. I love his channel, and that’s why I’m here, but I tend to disagree with him on a lot of his higher end reviews. And I completely understand why. There is much more risk in saying why a more expensive headphone/DAC/amp is better than the more affordable version. If you are looking to spend $1k+, I think you need to at least acknowledge forums like headfi and sbaf. I also don’t 100% agree with either of their general opinions, but they consist of members that aren’t shocked with a $5k price tag. I’m in no way saying I know what’s best for you, but look at the posts on these forums. The HD58x may be the most popular topic here, and there is nothing wrong with that in any way. They punch way above their weight class, and that is the entire idea of what Z Reviews espouses. I only mention this because you are looking to spend over $1k and I feel like there are possibly better resources to direct you once you get into that price range is all.

That said, I can’t wait for my Aeolus to be delivered. And I would 100% reach out to ZMF to tell them what you are looking for and what you will be using as your source and I feel confident he will steer you in the right direction. I asked specifically about the tubes I’m using and he said with experience that they’d be a perfect match

3 Likes

Yeah high end is a hard thing to cover lol, for any reviewer of any sort

2 Likes

Yeah high end is a hard thing to cover lol, for any reviewer of any sort

Absolutely. You get to the point where it’s a luxury purchase and no one can tell you whether you’ve made the right choice other than yourself. It comes down to what you value. A high-price Hifiman or Stax may sound better, but to me the craftsmanship and personal customer experience of ZMF will win out every time, but that doesn’t mean others will or should feel the same way.

Interesting, I try and find a balance

I’m a little biased in the sense that I work for a small business production company in the USA (food service). There aren’t many of us, so when I can buy from a ZMF or similar, I try to do so. It helps when the product is as good as theirs, but doesn’t stop me from trying others to determine they aren’t for me (Audeze)

The pads make all the difference too. In some ways they replace the need to EQ. I will rewatch the Auteur review, but the consensus as I recall is that it’s the most neutral sound of all the ZMF line

It depends on the headphone whether it makes a big difference or not

Sounds like Focal or Stax might be for you. ZMFs are definitely on the dark/warm side from what I’ve heard.

I heard that if you choose the right pads you can get a more neutral Aeolus headphone. And anyway warm doesnt mean dark. Maybe warm isnt so bad?

Warm might be a more prominent mid range or thicker meatier sound, where dark would mean a more rolled off treble

1 Like

thats what the reviews about the Aeolus kept saying, that it had a lot of midrange. wish someone who owned it and knows the sound could comment. Maybe i should talk to this Zach guy

I have similar tastes to OP. When I recently got LCD-x I was impressed with the detail and bass extension and was considering returning them. Then, I downloaded the Audeze Reveal eq plugin (and a copy of Sonarworks) and they quickly became my favorite headphone. The EQ lifted the “veil,” flattened them out and increased the brightness and brilliance (in treble terms not IQ).

Just a thought.

Yeah, the reveal plugin does help with them, but I just assume not many people want to bother with a vst plugin lol

i keep wondering about software EQ vs hardware EQ. are they the same or is one better than another? And I dont like having to EQ my headphones. i cant help feeling like im reducing its sound quality

Mostly there won’t be a real big difference between hardware and software eq for music listening purposes

I have used both types. Not much difference, but software EQ is often way more flexible.

This is true, as you can only have so many bands or other features on a hardware eq

Some hardware eq circuits are made where they have their own specific sound, but these are typically for studio work, and not something you should get for a headphone