Need advice. Looking to put together my first, budget audio setup for living room for around €500

Thanks for the recommendation. I already have Edifier speakers for my PC as I wrote above. I will for sure take a closer look on these.

I’m now also exploring some used options which could maybe deliver more for the same money.

500Eu is a pretty tight budget if you are trying to find speakers plus amp.

As suggested above i would also max out the budget on proper speakers and maybe get an amp later or directly go for active speakers

My brand of choice within europe is Phonar. If you are lucky you can find something Like Phonar Veritas M4 used for arround 600Eu but then you will still need an amp and maybe a subwoofer depending on your preferences

Or i you have a save income you could think about getting more expensive stuff and pay in rates…that´s what i usually do…I think to myself “If I fucking need to go to work for almost the rest of my life I want to have superb sound at least” :smiley:

Found this one for $20. What do you think? Is it bad?

It should be JVC xv-thd7

That’ll be $20 for a reason

If your going that cheap id buy new.
Like this or something similar from either Denon, Marantz, yamaha or Sony.
These brands at least have a history of making HT and also sell some seriously expensive kit so there is some trickle down.

It’s supposedly somehow not compatible with the owner’s new TV so he’s just getting rid of it.

Assuming it’s functional, is it any good? I mean buying new is also an option, but this is $20 and new would be at least 10 times that much.

Also, I would have at least some AV receiver and could upgrade the speakers separately.

Man there are worse things to spend $20 bucks on lol. I say give it a try if the owner can prove it works. The worse thing that happens is it’s busted and you’re out $20.

I would be able to test if it works beforehand of course.

1 Like

I mainly want to know if it would be horrible even if it worked or not. I know it’s probably way worse than anything you guys mentioned before, but it’s also a fraction of the price.

I mean, if it would it still sound good enough (way better than the TV) then I’m all for it.

Would this be better bang for the buck than for example buying used Jamo set and some used AVR for $300? That’s probably a bad question. What I really mean is that I’m also not looking forward to pay 10 times the money for a bit better experience.

Anything and I mean almost anything is better than TV speakers (insert $10 Diaso BT speaker here).
Bang for buck yep can’t beat $20 for a set of speakers even if it’s half the performance of the Jamos, it’s $20.
I personally have never heard those JVC speakers but back in the day their all in one setups weren’t bad.

Well, for me this seems like a decent and mainly very cheap starting point.

Assuming it’s working. I can always upgrade later if I feel the need. I suppose I could also just upgrade a just a part of it, since the AVR would probably handle some different speakers.

For sure! Gotta start somewhere!

1 Like

Nevermind, seems like either someone bought it first or the seller has changed their mind. Seems like I will keep looking.

Looking for recommendations. Didn’t have much time to look lately. Still searching for a setup.

I am currently watching Jamo, KEF and ELAC on local sites. Any other brand worth monitoring?

Used markets in general for audio gear.
Might find hidden gems for good deals as in good speakers.

Yeah, I meant used markets only. Maybe I wasn’t clear about that.

The problem is that I am not that familiar with the products so I can’t tell if something is a good deal or not. That’s why I also want to focus on some brands and am looking for a recommendation.

I found a following listing:

• KEF Q5
  • KEF Cresta SP 3322
  • KEF HTS 2001 (4 speakers)

All for about 300 EUR.

What do you think?

Hi i am also looking to get a setup in my Livingroom for TV and Music listening. i currently have a set of Polk Monitor 45B bookshelves but im willing to upgrade as they are a bit old. i dont have an AVR but im open to suggestions. im mainly looking to do a 2.0 or 2.1 setup and not looking to break the bank. i have about 400- 500 to spend on an avr/Amp would most likely prefer something with HDMI Arc/ EArc for simplicity with my Sony X90J Tv.

If you dont need 5.1 channels or more HDMI inputs (plug everything to TV) and If you are only looking for 2.0 / 2.1 setup with HDMI Arc connection. You dont need a AVR.
There are stereo amps or integrated amp available for just 2 speakers and subwoofer out with HDMI Arc control.
They usually sound pretty good as well since they mainly music focused.
Only issue is they might crack the bank a bit.

Unless finding some good discounts or something in used markets.
Something like this.

or

Maybe save a month or two then get one?

Or just pick some any AVR with in budget :slight_smile: Plenty of options.

1 Like