Need help choosing quality Closed Headphones under $400

So it’s now been roughly 5 months since i started using the 58X.

• head clamp eased up after some time. didn’t have to bend the metal to loosen up, just happened on its own.
  • solved the lack of bass issue with a chrome EQ plugin (not as good as i want it but closer) i use the Full Bass, or the Bass & Treb presets depending on what I’m listening to.
  • definitely changed the format to 32 bit, 48K Hz, 2 channel. The sound quality is pretty good.
  • the minor issue about this set being opened back, even with the door closed, my wife can hear the music from the other room across the hall. keeps yelling at me that it’s too loud and i’m going to go deaf. lol.
  • definitely cannot use these at the office! lol but great overall.

Now for my next set i’m wondering if i should go with Argons, or chance it and buy the Skullcandy Crushers? i read so many bad quality reviews on the Crushers that i’m scared to buy it.

Have a look at the Drop Beyerdynamic DT 177x Go after you are done

Hi Guys! i didn’t want to start a new thread for this, so i thought i will put my question here as it’s related to my newly bought 58X…

I’m not liking the stock pads so much. I would like to swap the pads to something more comfortable, and something that will give me more bass. Any suggestions on Brand, and material?

generally speaking the Sennheisers don’t usually take to pad swapping well. Most say they ruin the sound. I know dekoni makes pads for them, you could maybe try them from amazon or somewhere witha return policy. Also worth noting a lot of the sennheisers need some break in time due to their hard clamp. Many people find them uncomfortable initially but after some wear in do not have an issue.

You can bend the headband to reduce the clamp, and also just by wearing them the pads will get softer and more comfortable, but it takes time

I have had this set for about 8 months now. The clamp force has loosened up already. the issue is more with the lack of softness, not the clamp force. I mean it’s not “Bad” but it’s not “The Best” either. I want to have some pads on it that will just feel amazing. Similar like Z was climaxing over the sheepskin pads in his review. LoL

I’ve swapped pads on my 58x to both sheepskin and hybrids from Drop. The sheepskins definitely increase bass, but not in a good way. It ends up making the already very narrow soundstage feel more congested, and really only works with very simple music (something like a cello soloist). The hybrids are closer to the stock sound, but still have a lesser degree of the same changes. To me, the tradeoff of comfort for the hybrids is worth it for the smaller impact to sound signature.

FWIW, reading through the earlier part of this thread, my current desk setup for while i’m working is laptop>GSX1000>Game One for conference calls, and GSX1000 stereo line out to Topping MX3 to power passive speakers as well as any other headphones I decide to rotate in (including 58x and Argons). I also use the other inputs of the MX3 for bluetooth and a turntable. This setup allows for quick switches with the presets on the GSX1000 when it’s time to jump on a conference call or pass the audio to the MX3 when I’m streaming Tidal. Full disclosure, with some of the higher tier headphones I’ve acquired, i’m looking to upgrade the setup by either replacing or inserting higher quality components in the chain, but it has served me well thus far.

So i was looking around different brands and materials for pad swapping, and i am considering the Brainwavz Memory Foam Sheepskin Angled.
I just wonder, what’s the difference between the flat oval sheepskins, or the angled ones?
Also, I noticed that these pads have a skirt on the back so you can pull it over other headphones. So i decided to pull my pads of the 58X out and see how that looks like and this is what i see…
A58X Stock pad1 58X Stock pad2
This plastic you see on the back of the stock pads is what secures the pad to the headphone by clicking in, in the cent portion of the headphones.
So i’m not sure how would i install the new pads to the 58X without this plastic part?
I did consider cutting the stock pads off this plastic and then wrapping the skirt of the new pads on the plastic and then click them in, but at the same time, i dont want to damage the stock pads in case i want to put them back on later.
Here is a picture of the sheepskins from the back
Thoughts?

Thanks to YouTube, i figured out that you can remove the plastic ring off the stock without ripping anything. The challenge will be installing the plastic ring on the new pads before you can put them back in.

So back to the question regarding the sheepskins. Flat or Angled? which is better?

I haven’t tried anything angled, so the extra distance between the driver and your ear could change things a bit. Sheepskin in general, though, is going to bring up the bass a bit, and to my ears makes the 58x sound more congested/muddled in the lower mids. You might do better with a hybrid sound wise, and should still be able to find angled hybrids if you wanted to test it.

Drop regularly sells replacement pads for the 6XX and 58X. I have the fenestrated sheepskin pads on the 6XX and they are heaven.

I’d considered some of those. How do you perceive the sonic change they make on the 6XX? I have both the hybrid and sheepskin from Drop, and considered the fenestrated. So far the hybrids are closest to stock sound.

This is an area I can’t be too helpful on. Maybe my ears aren’t tuned enough to notice but I couldn’t hear any difference and the fenestrated sheepskin pads are so comfortable I wouldn’t have cared anyway - I can wear them for hours with no issues.

I think some people are more sensitive to those audio changes from pad rolling but it made no difference to me.