Need help dealing with a humming noise

I have a pair of Vanatoo T1s (they’re powered speakers) that I used to run off my laptop via USB without a problem. But recently I acquired an Asgard 3/4490, which I now use as a preamp for the Vanatoos. So MacBook via USB to the DAC built into the Asgard 3…and then RCA line out to the aux input on the back of the left Vanatoo. It’s not the best way to connect the Vanatoos given the way they work, as they literally reconvert the analogue signal coming out of the Schiit BACK into digital, but I really appreciate the reduction in clutter that comes from being able to connect the Vanatoos serially to the A3, and my ability to control the speaker volume using the big Asgard knob.

BUT: there’s a quiet humming that’s audible whenever there is no headphone plugged into the A3, which is what switches the unit to speaker pre-amp mode. That hum is NOT affected by the volume knob and is present when the volume is turned completely down. It goes away as soon as I plug in a headphone.

So, what to do?

Could you plug T1’s back to laptops USB and run Asgard 3 with different USB?
If no issues are present that would be good thing.

Im sure it would work but not as a long term solution. If I run the A3 and the T1 each off of different USBs, I’m using up two USB instead of one, have to switch the audio output settings on the Mac, and have a limited means to control the volume. Running serially off the A3 means switch from speakers to headphones doesnt require switching audio settings and gives me a great way to control the volume.

Vanatoo’s, Mac, and Asgard 3 are all plugged into same power strip?

1 Like

Yes. Should I try connecting one to another strip…and possibly another outlet?

No, you want everything connected to the same outlet via same power strip as you are. I was just thinking you could’ve been introducing ground loop by being plugged into different sources.

1 Like