Need help for Full audio setup for $1000 AUD/ ~$700 USD

I personally find the beyerdynamics the most comfortable followed by the sennheiser then the hifimans. However, those sennheisers have a skull crushing clamp force out of the box… they gotta be stretched out first

Usually the magni 3+ or heresy. Heresy is more analytical if i recall correclty and the magni 3+ is a warmer amp, audiophile term of warm not meaning hot lol. I do like the atom but not so much for beyers I think this would be a good choice for the sennheiser though. Keep in mind you generally want a Dac with this too which is going to raise your price tag a bit…

Planning to get the topping e30 with an amp.

Since comfort is high on the list. Might be looking to get the beyer dt880.

So list rn is dt880 + topping e30 + heresy.

just looking for a mic. As an example, could you recommend a mic + boom arm setup?

Also can the heresy run the dt880?

Yes, it can power the 600 ohm variation which sounds the best. However, the 600 ohm will sound better with more expensive setups so you can buy it and if you wanna upgrade your setup later it will just make this headphone sound better down the road.

Very solid dac especially for it’s price I think you will be fine with this.

Unfortunately, no. Like I said not particularly my expertise in that area. However, if you wanted an XLR microphone for the best quality the best budget option would probably be the Behringer UM2 audio interface which won’t run the very expensive microphones but you will stand to be able to use a good mic in around the $100 range just fine. The one I started with was the Samson Q2U microphone which is a hybrid mic usb and xlr this is a budget friendly option for those who want to delve into this area and pick up an interface later. Best USB mics if you wanted condensors though would be something like a Blue yeti, snowball, or Hyperx Quadcast. Feel free to ask the others on this forum for some mic recommendations they can definitely help more than me on that front.

In the mad list envy guide, he reccomends the dt990 over the dt880. I’m not that set on a competitive headset. Which ones will be better for music?

Honestly, the dt 990 is one of my favorites but be warned that it’s sound signature is extremely sharp V signature. It can be ear piercing to those who are more treble sensitive. Personally, I think both headphones are great but for more along the point of a persons preferences. DT 880 more neutral sounding less bass yet bright very detailed nice open soundstage and accurate imaging great seperation in comparison dt 990 incredibly sharp V signature mids are recessed very bassy yet very sharp and ethereal like treble again very detailed with a larger soundstage just as good imaging and seperation. DT 880 is the semi open back while dt 990 is the fully open back. Both have a 600 ohm variation that makes them sound much better than their alternative low ohm counterparts and in dt 990s case the treble becomes less peaky and much more refined, as is a seen issue with this headphone quite a lot of people have issues with it’s treble.

I personally like more thump in my bass and am okay with a very sharp treble so I chose the dt 990, I wasn’t a fan of the dt 880. Choice is yours however, if you choose the dt 990 please make sure you pair it to an amp and dac that can help dial back the treble or keep it from going sibilant. Amps like the thx 789 and others have a habit of actually increasing it’s treble causing it to go full blown sibilant. While I don’t think you’ll have issues with the heresy still it’s more analytical I found the liquid spark pairs beautiful with the dt 990 either should work but I personally think the spark does better by the sharp treble of that headphone in particular.

There are ways to tame the treble of the 990 though. Through amps and dacs in particular, however you can also modifiy it by putting extra foam or toilet paper cut to size behind the foam of it’s driver though this will reduce the bass it will also dial in the treble, you can buy a cable filter for the headphone which should fix any form of sibilance. I do recommend if your going to get into beyers consider the purchase of Dekoni Elite Velour. From my experience these are known to deal with the higher treble beyerdynamic headphones by a very great deal and are real comfortable as well. Lastly, the dt 990 does respond okay with equalization though I recommend this as a last resort if your dialing back treble as it can sound a bit off doing this method from my experience. If you are on pc you can utilize the program called PEACE APO it’s two downloads completely free takes a small amount of setup and a potential restart to the pc and your set. This will allow you to tune your sound as well as the quality of the microphone as well if you so choose. If you are looking for 7.1 surround sound like some gamers like look into Hesuvi and Dolby Atmos

If you are unsure on the treble perhaps look more into the new Tygr 300r. I recently reviewed it I will post a link on my own review that you are free to read and decide if perhaps that is more to your liking. It’s more casual more bassy and warm. 🔶 Beyerdynamic TYGR 300 R - #303 by Falenkor a good alternative to this particular signature however is like I mentioned previously one of the philips headphones which you will see me mention in that review. For gaming the philips fidelio x2hr is an amazing headphone as it pairs to the V-moda Boom Pro making it incredibly ideal for the budgeting gamer though incredibly bassy while the shp9500 is the alternative with less bass and more brightness.

This is an edit but I see this is as a subjective question. Though if you want a flat response as some people seem to want. I like the dt 990s more for music and gaming both, yes that includes competitives, but in some genres the brightness can be a bit tiring.

Whats the difference between the black and grey version?

https://www.amazon.com.au/Beyerdynamic-990-600-HiFi-headphones/dp/B0024NK34O

this version is the only one available in my country

as far as I am aware the different versions are purely aesthetic much like the Manufaktur variation seen here

which is where you can order a customized kind of version to your own preference. I believe people have reported some difference in the pads but I didn’t notice any difference personally as far as dt 990. However, the dt 880 special black edition has a different sound. More bass but lacks body just like its original though it sounds a bit more like the dt 990. Their black editions are only in 250 ohm respectively meanwhile only the white edition can be in its more refined 600 ohm

Would you still recommend the topping e30 + heresy?

E30 most definitely, heresy is a bit debatable. I think it’s a good amp but the Magni 3+ may be a bit on the warmer side and in the long run I found the Liquid spark to sound the best alongside the dt 990 due to that incredible treble peak. Though heresy is powerful without a doubt I haven’t personally ran into a lot of issues with the spark or magni 3+ for that matter. Though like the dt 880 600 ohm this headphone will perform and sound better with more refinement on more expensive setups provided you upgrade. It appears the rule of thumb is in the $200 range on the amp to bring them to their best

Scratch that on the comment on 600 ohms just noticed there looks to be a black version of it for the dt 990s. I would assume then yeah just aesthetic. Go with whichever you prefer on looks or can obtain.

1 Like

The liquid spark isnt avaliable in my country, is there any other amp your recommend?

Then you should be fine with a Magni 3+ less you wish to go heresy. Only other I would bring up would maybe be Schiit Hel or Ifi Zen Dac which are combo units of amp and dac together. If you can afford it I would definitely say see if you can grab and Asgard 3 + Modius(not the Modi the modius is a new dac) or just pair the asgard 3 with the E30 as the asgard sounds really good and I find is a really nice step up from the others. You can find asgard 3 in B-stock sometimes for like $50 cheaper too making it cost around $150 but they are $200 new less you have the internal dac installed, Don’t particularly recommend this but it’s an option I suppose.

Other sites people say the difference between the 3+ and heresy are barely noticeable and they say to choose whichever you like the look of

Depends on the person and please take things you read when it comes to audio equipment as subjective opinions. Heresy is a bit analytical very clean but I found it brightened up some headphones which is why I recommend against it for a beyerdynamic such as the dt 990, and the reason I had sent it back, Magni 3+ is smoother, a bit warmer, though still similar, and I found it paired better with brighter headphones of course this is just my opinion.

How is the cable on the dt990? Is it durable? And do you have any tips on how to not make the headphone cable tangle?

Straighten the wire out, force it to stay that way, and keep it that way for a couple days. Should be pretty straight afterwards less you tangle it up again of which just repeat the process.

Well the pro edition has a coiled cable while the premium aka Edition(this is the only one that has the 600 ohms for 990s) has a pretty decent straight cable Length of 3m, it doesn’t feel very cheap. Not detachable unfortunately, however you can mod one in pretty easily if you know how as the method is the same as the dt 880s.

For a modmic USB or wireless cost as much as a xlr setup. Thinking of the q2u as a mic and um2 but I’m not sure how to set it up so it’s out of the way and doesn’t block my view. Also can you send a link for the cable replacement mod. Thanks

Sort of but shouldn’t be. Keep in mind the boom arm, pop filter, microphone, potential cable purchases, and audio interface will all add up real fast.

The reason I brought up the Q2U is it’s one of the only entry levels that came to mind for someone just getting into this particular setup. It’s great for those on a bit of a tight budget since it’s not only an xlr but a usb dynamic microphone meaning you could just plug it into your system by the usb cable and be good to go without need of the interface therefore allowing you to put money towards the rest of the setup over time. UM2 is the bottom bare bones, a good audio interface that will power quite a bit would be around the $100 margin and the same thing goes for a great sounding microphone will be in that same price margin. XLR microphone setups are the more expensive gamer microphone option but they give the best voice quality.

this is one of the ones on this site. You could always just create a post asking people with help with it, google it as it’s actually really common, pay someone to mod it for you, or buy one that already has the modifications done which some do for balanced detachable cabling.

there has been a couple posts like this wandering around the site. Feel free to ask around yourself for help with it.

1 Like

Then I’ll probably just get the q2u on it’s own, and upgrade when I want to, since the mic is cheaper than other USB mics.

That’s how I started. Do keep in mind that consoles may be a bit more finicky in this case so you may need the audio interface anyway, unlikely that this will be an issue though. Should be alright with that till later on. Just make sure you have good return policies just incase.