đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic TYGR 300 R

What was your overall wait time again?

I ended up having to wait for quite literally a month and 1 week before I got them.

it will be a bit. I will say so far I don’t recommend the liquid spark with them as it makes it sound a tad bit muffled or rather a little darker actually. Not a good pairing. Sounds better on the magni 3+ I am borrowing as well as the asgard 3. Liquid spark I have to crank to around half to get a proper volume loud enough to where my pc only needs to be at 50% before it’s considered “loud” and it’s not responding the greatest to my equalizer at the moment. Will test more as I burn it in.

Edit: I will chime in my thoughts on this sometime tomorrow afternoon as I have to pull an all-nighter tonight anyway so I will be using these all night or a little over 24 hours. I will leave another note as I will say probably tomorrow that this headphone isn’t the greatest on my liquid platinum it doesn’t seem to respond the greatest to higher tier setups or maybe it’s just the tubes. Not quite sure. Responds very well to warmer sounding amps though like the magni 3+ so that is probably what I will base my review using for that budget friendlier setup review.

3 Likes

I bought mine a couple of weeks ago as a bundle since i didnt want to deal with the wait times. I have to say that I am really enjoying the Tygr.

They are warm and non fatiguing to me total opposite of the DT1990. I couldnt wear them for too long too fatiguing for me.

I’m running the Tygrs on a Aune X8 Dac an X7s and a LYR 3 with a tung-sol. I prefer them on the LYR 3 which gives it more sound stage and more bass.

I also have the DT880 Pro 600 ohm which is good as well but I think im in my honeymoon phase still so for the time being the TYGRs are my go to cans.

Too bad I sold my LSpark i’m curious now to see how they react on the spark.

So how many care bears have you killed?

If I were on the market for new cans this would be really tempting. I find the DT880/600 to be a tad too bright and a tad too lacking in the bass department, which is how I ended up with HD600 and HD650. But this allegedly fixes both while bringing crazy imaging. In other words, perfect.

Alright, so I have sat with these for quite some time now since I got them yesterday morning. I have to say I am pretty impressed at this price tag and this is a definite buy from myself personally despite being a Warm headphone, and my preference is towards bright headphones, this may actually replace my fidelio x2 hr. Please keep in mind that these are my own thoughts and opinions on it your experience and setup may vary and change some things as well as people hear things different. Alright so,

Design Comfort and Cables: Design wise it is incredibly light maybe one of the lightest beyers that I own and distributes it’s weight perfectly to the point I barily notice that it’s really there it just doesn’t seem to have a clamp force and if there is it’s barily noticeable to me. I can wear this thing all day each day with zero issue and the pads are incredibly soft and breathable, may actually rate this better than my dt 990 250 ohm pads these really are some incredible pads.Comfort for me as someone who has larger ears and a bit on the larger side for heads is spot on perfection nothing rubbing no discomfort I can literally pick these up without concern for comfort and design is what you would expect from a Beyerdynamic with their very soft leather headband and regular build qualities. Cables this is going to be a complaint. The cable for myself is too short, but I like long cables, while I didn’t measure the length it’s around a 4 foot or so length of cable however, it isn’t detachable which is a huge missed selling point for a “gamers” headphone I really wish they had implemented a 3.5mm jack or something like the 177x go where it uses a mini xlr allowing for balanced setups. Would need modded but I guess beyer has decided to reserve its detached cable units in its higher tier selections which is a bit of a hit and miss imo on that. Does come with the 1/4 inch adapter standard setup.

Software? None, no controls, no equalizer, no 7.1 surround sound. It’s just the headphone and if you so chose also the mic it comes with in the bundle of which I did not purchase. Responds to Dolby Atmos and Hesuvi for surround though not required

Sound SIgnature: Fun and Warm with a bass that is very on point and enjoyable, it’s not heavy nor is it muddy but it’s very present in the mix. Mids do sound pushed back and I found myself wishing they were more neutral in the mix. Now the Highs this is where I feel is strange for a Beyer if you are someone who just can’t get behind a dt 880 or dt 990 due to it’s brightness this is definitely the way to go. I can’t find any sibilance here at all. The dt 990 is a bit more detailed sparkly and has quite a bit more clarity on the highs and this is a definite trade off point but the highs on this tygr are definitely slightly raised smooth and enjoyable but it’s dialed back to the point that gives it a very good sound in the mix while not being horridly bright. In terms of crystal clear clean with lots of detail in the sound this is definitely not a dt 1990 or T1 though, It still manages to have that Beyer House sound in it’s own way which imo makes it fairly unique among all the super bright headphones. If you want a beyer for gaming but don’t want your ears to bleed cause you are sensitive to treble this is the way to go with the mmx300 being a great alternative closed back to this. This gets fairly close to that of
 I wanna say a T1 honestly but it isn’t as detailed, clean, vibrant, or as bright. If anything this is a DT 880 that is fully open, treble dialed back, added bass, while still keeping the recessed mid frequencies to my ears. Incredibly enjoyable.

Soundstage and Imaging: This headphone just sounds wide right out of the box, possibly wider than my other beyers definitely wider than my 990, and actually sounds just as wide as my k7xx I own. It has like dms said indeed a very speaker like presentation to it. Imaging is so accurate its absurd you should not have any issues at all pin pointing sounds with this and if you do it could very well be on your equipments side as I have no issues whatsoever here. Despite the accuracy in the imaging the headphone is by no means very analytical like a dt 1990 this is definitely catered more towards a “Fun” sound.

Amps: I do have a bit of a nitpick here. The headphone is a bit too picky with it’s impedance level and those stating it doesn’t need an amp are using a motherboard with a higher grade audio codec. Put it simply I can’t just plug these into my onboard motherboard, I don’t have the greatest audio codecs, and listen to them at a high volume. I have the same issue with my phone, samsung a10e, and of course it gets a little more finicky when you use it with the old original ps4 slim. It’s not loud enough and to get it to regular volume levels I have to crank to 100%. Ampwise you don’t want something like a liquid spark here unless you want this headphone to sound dark and slightly muffled to my hearing. This pairs well with the magni 3+, I would assume the heresy as well, and asgard 3 but didn’t pair all too well to my liquid platinum imo. You really will want something that is good for warm headphones that helps that bass maybe raise the mids and smooth the highs a bit and goes along with that huge soundstage. I found my Magni 3+ with Topping D10(switched out for budget reasons not everyone has a ton of money) to work really well I also had a Soundblaster X3 in house and this too does pair well though I will give that win to the magni for definitely sounding better. Pre amp gains work well enough here and this does not take much power at all to drive so keep that in mind while using it so you don’t mess up the headphone.

Headphone sale and pricepoint: I find this very hard to recommend due to the fact it’s only purchaseable seperately directly through beyerdynamic. This makes this headphone very limiting to its buyers and a hard sell imo. For it’s price I would think this would actually be more than what I bought it for. This actually replaces my Fidelios in everything but overall bass as the fidelios are bassy but it’s seen as muddy. Do I think it’s a good buy? Well, that depends as I try to be as openly subjective between pros and cons as possible. If you like the dt 880 or dt 990 but you aren’t a fan of that overwhelming brightness? Yes, whole heartedly I recommend this as a pickup. If you want to play competitive FPS? While I have a hard time recommending this it’s due to the bass as it will indeed get in your way here if you have an equalizer to dial it back this may work but there are better options and this doesn’t respond too well to it’s bass being messed with more on this in a minute, However if you wanted it for both casual and competitive I do find this to be a incredibly solid choice albeit I think the dt 1990 or T1 would be better they are more expensive. This headphone stands above in probably around the $300-$400 range with it’s sound but a laser accurate imaging and wide soundstage that just isn’t found unless you go higher priced outside of maybe an akg k702/k712

Gaming Genre: Alright so, this is where I get a little bit pickier. It’s pricepoint is $200 which is the happy high end medium pricepoint for a gamers headset However, you need to factor in the potential cost of needing a Modmic $40-$120 and an amp/dac if you want it loud. Is it worth it? Yes and No. without going into an explaination vs every single headset that I have auditioned
 this is in my top 3. This Competes with the mobius/orbit and steel series just fine. The only reason it isn’t in my number 1 is because of it’s alternative cost of an amp/dac to bring it to Hi-res, not having an equalizer, and not being well-rounded enough to be great for both competitive and casual. This headphone caters towards the casual gamer and it definitely shows. If you wanted a headphone from beyer more towards the competitive market you would still be looking at the dt 880 as it isn’t as bassy and has more treble with a good mid frequency.

Equalizers: alright so, I use the peace equalizer on my pc and I wanted to try tinkering with this. This headphone is a bit fussy. Amping the bass causes it to become a bit bloated and muddy and even in some cases distort meanwhile dialing it back makes the sound go a little off without a bit of pre-amp. It becomes overwhelming over the mids and highs and distorts with just a very small bump to the bass. You can actually amp the treble to be somewhat like a dt 990, which will most definitely become sibilant with a few small db in the amp, and turn down the bass and it does respond well as long as you know what your doing with your equalizer.

Final Notes: This headphone is a keeper to me and will be staying in my collection. This is a very enjoyable listen it isn’t aggressive but it isn’t too laid back it’s somewhere in the middle there. For gaming I would use it in both scenarios just very slightly dial back the bass and increase the treble in competitive meanwhile just leave it alone, eh maybe a very slight bass increase just to the point it isn’t distorting, for casual gaming. For music? This is still very enjoyable as long as you don’t go into this thinking you are going to get a analytically natural headphone. If I were to compare this to another headphone in particularly
 this would probably be more compared to a Fidelio X2 HR, but better, or my aeons without the clear clean sound and rolled off treble. This doesn’t really hold up to my 1990 or T1 but in it’s price point it is a great buy, just not really a giant killer. This however, is now officially on one of my highest recommendations for the casual gamer due to it’s pricepoint if the person wants a warm open back headphone. I have to really commend beyer for releasing a headphone that caters more towards those who just aren’t a big fan of the super bright headphones. This hits the nail on the head spot on.

15 Likes

Thanks so much for the detailed review, seals the deal for a “fun” Beyer

1 Like

Mine got delayed until monday because of weather
guess waiting 3 more days isn’t gonna kill me, well maybe a little bit. Nice review though Falenkor got me more excited about them.

1 Like

For someone’s first time beyer, I think they are a great choice and probably one of the least bright in their lineup. When you get them definitely let me know your thoughts. For people though who have tried the higher up beyers they will also notice the lacking clarity and detail you get from like a dt 1990 which is why I am still a tad conflicted. I use the dt 1990 for most of my gaming needs with Dekoni Elite Velour and it’s phenomenal. Regardless, if I choose not to keep it this is a definite gift for a buddy of mine. Absolutely love this headphone, I just feel that I might have a better alternative to it as it is.

1 Like

Well sounds great thanks for the impressions. I just got a email and they wont have any new in for 3 weeks :cry:

“We oversold on our stock of TYGR 300 R headphones, and we are not expecting more for at least three weeks. We apologize for the inconvenience. We can cancel your order at any time.”

1 Like

Considering how this thing sounds and performs alongside its price point? I am not even in the slightest bit surprised. This is probably one of the best warm headphones for that pricepoint. Wait it out bud or just purchase the bundle through amazon or something.

1 Like

Yeah i’ll wait for it. wish you had the helios so you could compare. lol

I was afraid of this, good to know before I placed
sorry to hear though

1 Like

I have been keeping an eye on the market for it to say the least. Unless someone offers a borrowed model or I see a return policy I probably won’t go out of my way to grab it for auditions. I don’t tend to gravitate towards the smaller sound stages, it’s one of the things that used to bug me to no end with the 58x jubilee. Though I can’t say I am not interested since it has been said to either be a V or a W. I really want a good W signature in my collection, and if the nighthawks are W then fine something that isn’t so dark would be nice.

It sounds really big and open. not sure the close soundstage is gonna bug you with that going on. Their definitely worth the 180$ and the risk. Its got perfect treble and great detail. its so exciting a headphone. its got me wanting to sell off all my other headphone. you really should try it

I stand behind that remark on it. It’s not worth it because it doesn’t seem to resell well either in the event that I didn’t like the headphone.

now to wait until this pandi blows over and canada gets its stock cause I suare aas fuck am not dropping that much money to get it over the border

thats up to the listener to decide there are many with better hearing than us here that would definitely not enjoy them

1 Like

I never bothered to look but how much is it to transfer? Anytime I have ordered from like DHL it was like an extra $20 or so and that was from japan or china.

ajapan and china over here I never get hit by customs. anything from the US hurts hard though I just spent a $100 CAD to clear a pair of shoes over the border thank god shipping was free and I got the shoes for a really good price. so i ended up paying retail

1 Like