Tygr 300r alternatives ?, Tygr 300r sound in hd 560s body

yeah, beyers pretty much all fit the same. my dt880’s i have learned to fit on ear and there not to bad. pads are soft and clamp isnt horrible. dont try to squeeze your ears in.

those were the ones suggested to me when i first got my beyers and was having problems with comfort.

edit: didnt wind up getting them as i found a spot that is comfortable enough with stock pads.

if you need some pad rolling impressions

these seemed good:

1 Like

Thanks a lot guys!

Gonna return the HD 560s, Get these or a dekoni pad, i believe Zeos made a video testing out every Dekoni pad made for the beyers so that might help too.

Other than that i do have 1 more question, Should i get an amp and if so then what amp would you suggest?
i noticed while playing some games right now and listening to some more music, sometimes they are pretty quite and other times plenty loud. i cant tell if its the soundstage or them needing a bit more power but after a bit of reading i saw that i wasnt the only one.

again thanks for your help so far guys!

Ah yes that was the video i remember watching some time ago, thanks for the link

that could also be the recording. recordings vary wildly at what db they are recorded at. does it ever happen in just games? games tend to be more even in the volume department then music recordings.

that being said: yes you should get an amp at some point. the amp will sound better then PC amp. and give you a lot more headroom for volume.

that being said, with tygr’s, its not as big of an issue as they are designed for PC amps and audio.

Its a really weird one, i dont really even know how to describe it. Its like when something is close to me in a game, an explosion, gunshot etc. It doesnt sound as loud as i feel like it should be, things that are really close, lets say 1 foot from me sound like they are maybe 5-10 feet away.

I guess it could also just be my brain playing all sorts of tricks on me, when i was using the HD 560s i didnt have that issue tho, everything was very loud.

That actually reminds me, do you or anyone else here have experience with the 58x jubliee ? thats also a headphone i am really interested in but i suck at reading graphs and frequency responses to know if that is somewhat comparable to the tygrs in terms of the bass.

1 Like

the 58x has great bass for senn’s, but it wouldn’t be as impactful as the tygr’s. senn’s also have very small sounstages. the tuning of the different headphones is most likely what your experiencing.

do you typically listen close to max volume?

edit: i ask the volume question, because if you listen close to max volume, there may not be enough juice for dynamic effects. ie explosions, gun shots ect that are suppose to be louder then average. if your close to max by default, not much room for dynamics.

Okay thats actually really good to know, thank you.

About the volume, I usually have my windows volume at around 20-30 on normal headphones, on the tygrs its more around 40. I havent gone much higher than that cause the setup that i have right now starts causing some problems. I have it connected to my microphone for the mic monitoring. I’m gonna have them run off my mobo on higher volume to see if that fixes it :slight_smile:
But other than that its all sorted out thanks to you guys, gonna get new pads and an amp.

your noticing the tuning difference then. your amp has plenty of juice for your needs.

1 Like

I bought both the Tygr 300 and the Sennheiser 599 this week. I have been using the Beyerdynamic 990pro since 2013 and was looking for something that I could run with the PS5 and Xbox Series X controller. In addition, I bought my first replacement pads for the 990pros after 8 years. I was surprised that the volume of the Tygr 300 32 Ohm has not turned out much larger than the 990pro 250 Ohm. The Sennheiser with its 50 ohms plays again significantly louder than the two Sennheisers. The test was performed without a separate amplifier. For music playback, I used my OnePlus6 and Tidal and, as mentioned at the beginning, the PS5 and XBSX controllers. The sound of the Sennheiser is much closer to the Beyerdynamic than I expected. So I would recommend the 599 if you are looking for that sound signature.

Maybe the quantitative comparison on Rtings with the 990pro will help (the Tygr is tuned a bit milder in the treble):

Yeah i was really surprised by the lack of volume on the tygrs too, i guess in my mind i saw 32 ohms and thought that it was gonna destroy my ear drums.

I will for sure buy the 599 and give it a try, thanks for the suggestion.

If I understand it correctly, the impedance is only part of the story. Sensitivity also plays a big role in how much amplification a headphone requires. The sensitivity of the 560s is much higher (110 dBSPL) than that of the Tygrs (95 dBSPL). @MazeFrame made a very nice write-up that I’ll link below.
If I did the math correctly, the HD560s lands at 0.316V/0.0026A while the Tygr lands at 3.07V/0.1A.
So, if I am not mistaken, I think that means that the Tygrs are harder to drive than the HD560s

1 Like

God the audio world is complicated yet fascinating :exploding_head:

1 Like

Hey there, I’m heavily considering getting one of these 3 headphones (TYGR 300 R, DT 990, HD 599) and would like to know your opinion between all 3 if possible, in terms of both comfort and sound. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hey David,

imho you should keep your comparison between the TYGR 300 and HD 599. But as always it depends on your personal taste and use case. Comfort is very subjective and is depending on the shape of your head. I feel a slight pressure on my jaw line from the TYGR and i am not the biggest fan of the headband from the 599, your impression could be very different. I’m still in the process to decide which i prefer. The TYGRs are a more easy to listen and to drive to headphone compared to the 990s

Some video reviews i would consider to watch:

Around the 8 minute mark is a frequency comparasion between 990pro and TYGR 300:

Do you have any previous headphones you can consider as your point of reference or sound signature you would like to hear?

Thanks for the detailed response! I’ve seen all those videos before actually, just wanted some extra input from someone who owned all 3 of them, but thanks anyway I appreciate the thought.

I’ve heard that the TYGR 300 R is pretty much a better tuned DT 990, which is why I assume you said to keep it just between the TYGR and the 599. That sounds fantastic, but the main problem is that the TYGR is completely unavailable here in the US. It has been out of stock for months, and meanwhile it gets restocked all the time in the UK from what I’ve heard. So it seems like Beyerdynamic just does not seem to care in the slightest about their NA TYGR audience lol. I cannot find them anywhere else in the secondhand market either, whether in Amazon or eBay or reddit, it has just completely vanished here in North America. This problem is kind of stretching my patience which is why I’m wondering if the 990 is a worthy option for me here, despite being a “worse” version of the TYGR.

If you don’t mind me asking, what about the TYGR do you prefer it over the DT 990? Other than it being easier to drive. Also, in terms of soundstage, bass, and detail, how do either of them compare to the 599?

As for previous headphones I’ve used for a point of reference, in terms of open backs I’ve only tried the SHP9600 and the Fidelio X2HR. I vastly preferred the X2HR, I really liked their wide spacious soundstage, more detailed bass, and overall cleaner sound. However, the X2HR clamps insanely hard on my oversized head, and I can’t wear it for more than 30-60 minutes. I’ve tried everything to reduce the clamp, stretching the headband by leaving them over a box for days/nights, and nothing seems to loosen the clamp enough to a comfortable point. So the X2HR just isn’t for me, despite me liking its sound. I feel the massive relief from the pressure that causes the pain/discomfort around my ears after taking them off, I just don’t think it’s worth dealing with.

For closed backs, I’ve only tried the ATH-M50X and the Sony MDR1AM2, but these are pretty different from the open backs here. I’ve had my M50X for 2 years and I’ve always hated its comfort, which is what drove me to find another pair. The X2HR unfortunately did not deliver on the comfort aspect for me, so you can see that comfort is a huge factor for me here.

Hi There, this is my second try to write this down (had a browser crash :-/)

Comfort could be a real problem for you regarding the 990s:

I created a table descending by comfort for the tested open and semi open backs for reference:

To keep it short and simple, 990s are very bright and may need EQ for longer sessions. TYGRs are the plug and play version, no harsh treble but with slight lost in brightness. You won’t be dissapointed by soundstage and bass. They also use less clamp. Maybe the 880s (which I dont own and never used) could be a better option? I also withdraw my statement, the 990s and the TYGRs drive very similar even though they have different impendance. Now for the 599, after a longer comparision between those 3, I don’t like the sound signature, the soundstage is smaller and the details feel more harsh than smooth, could be a better choice for analytical listening maybe? I wouldnt call them terrible (see comments below) but they are not for me.

Falenkors review should be more insightful and way better articulated than I am able to (he compares them also to a lot of hp incl. X2): 🔶 Beyerdynamic TYGR 300 R - #303 by Falenkor

Some maybe helpful comments:

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Sorry you had to do a rewrite of the post.

Yeah it seems like the TYGR is the way to go, from what I’ve gathered from all the info and advice I’ve gotten the past few months. It’s just the North American Beyerdynamic stocking issues that is the biggest hurdle for me right now. Months with absolutely nothing, it’s so frustrating.

The thing about RTings comfort measurements is that they aren’t the most reliable from my experience. For example, I’ve used a Steelseries Arctis headset which had close to 1.3 pounds of clamping force, but it felt much more comfortable than both the X2HR and the M50X, which have lower measured clamping forces/weights. And the M50X had better comfort measurements for both the X2HR and the SHP9600 that I tried, yet it was the most uncomfortable headset of the 3. So I’ve come to learn to not rely on them, it only matters what I’ve tried on my head myself I guess.

Do you noticeably feel that the TYGR clamps less than the DT 990?

You’re welcome. Nothing to be sorry about :slight_smile:

I found some explanations from the official german support site that may give you some more indications (translated by www.deepl.com):
TYGR 300 R – beyerdynamic Help Center | beyerdynamic

WHY IS THE TYGR 300 R A GAMING HEADPHONE?

We use a unique acoustic fleece to smooth out the highs without losing detail. As a result, the amplitudes of the high frequencies are more balanced and the sound impression loses sharpness. What is important for critcal listening in the studio can tire in the long run in gaming. That’s why the TYGR 300 R sounds rounder, especially in the highs. The accentuated and balanced highs lead to an amazing brilliance and an immersive sound experience for an extremely precise localization of sources like footsteps, shots, etc.

HOW IS THE TYGR 300 R DIFFERENT FROM THE DT 880 PRO AND DT 990 PRO?

The DT 880 PRO has a very linear frequency response, while the DT 990 PRO has a slightly more accentuated bass and correspondingly more present treble for a pleasant balance. Both are designed primarily for studio applications.

The TYGR 300 R focuses on gaming is oriented to the frequency response of the DT 990 PRO. A powerful bass and detailed emphasized treble fit very well to gaming. However, the sound design has been further optimized for gaming based on the DT 990 PRO, including the use of a special acoustic fleece.

As for the clamp pressure, yeah my 990pro from 2013 has higher pressure. BUT I think the edition models could be the answer:

Just use google translate for the english version. You’ll see that the pro models have a clampressure of 3,5N and the edition have 2,8N and are described as comfortable. So I could imagine that the TYGRs use the same frame as those edition variants.