šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

One thing the 880 can never beat it at is efficiency and thatā€™s a huge thing. If Iā€™m gonna recc something to gamers or beginner audiophiles with a $200 budget itā€™s a tygr recc Everytime between the 2 Headphones. The 880 600 ohm is still a 600 ohm Headphone and while we like to say itā€™s not that special itā€™s still a hard to drive Headphone

2 Likes

Good advice. You are 100% correct that they are no longer the same price after you factor in price of an amp, which the DT880ā€™s need and the TYGRā€™s donā€™t.

DT880 are amazing but you need to have the right amp and in most cases being willing to mod them balanced. Not a good recommendation for a beginner.

1 Like

Yeah, same reason why I rarely ever recommend my beloved T50RPs. Even stock, they need one watt.

Just pulled the trigger on these directly from Beyer B-Stock for 120 Eurosā€¦I think this is not a bad price since it 99.9% a scratch on the package or something.
Just wanted to try Beyers again. Tried an 770 and 880 2 years ago, but i never gave them time to grow on me and sendet them back very quickly.
And i wanted to try something else besides the 6XX on my Darkvoice.

1 Like

same price different signature. Warm and bassy with more towards neutral treble and good mids vs Neutral bright with much less bass and not a lot of fullness to the sound. 600 ohm sounds best and requires and amp so costs more tygr does not require an amp but does decently well with one. I have a review on the tygrs over on the thread šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic TYGR 300 R - #303 by Falenkor

The comparisons are definitely noticeableā€¦ Iā€™m definitely not a fan of the 880 as it has nowhere near enough bass or body to itā€™s sound for me to find enjoyment in it despite how incredibly detailed the headphone is. Highly recommend the tygrs for someone who doesnā€™t want the ever present brightness and much more bass. An alternative I found to the dt 880s with a lot of detail less brightness and more punch in the bass was the HarmonicDyne Helios although the 880 is said to become much better in the body and low end after being balanced and paired to tubes.

I would love to know what those do on a Darkvoice.

Im curious too. From what the other guys say, it works well with it. I will try to share my thoughts on it.

1 Like

are there larger then stock pads that do not alter the sound sig for these? stock pads to small for my dumbo ears and hurts in like 10 minutes.

the only ones I can think of off the top of my head is the XL series from brainwavz or dekoni elite velour which I believe may be just slightly larger. Though I am positive these alter the sound signature, the dekonis sounded best to me. Not sure on other alternatives though. Beyers arenā€™t particularly good at pad swapping from my experience

i was afraid of that, i may have to check them out. may just say hell with it and sell or give them away lol

Thatā€™s a brainwavz xl pad (pleather in this case) for a size comparison

thanks for the comparison! those look to be to small as well. oh well.

1 Like

So I have had the Lyr 3 for a few days and it pairs really well with the DT880. It sound much better than my SP200 did with it. I donā€™t know if that is because of the tube, it being A/B class amp, or because itā€™s more than twice as powerful as the SP200. None-the-less it is a good combo.

2 Likes

Glad youā€™re enjoying it. With a good amp pairing they are excellent headphones! :beers:

1 Like

I would posit that the SP200 does not do well with bright/brightish headphones. Cleans up bassy headphones nicely though.

Iā€™m surprised how much people are overlooking how good the 880 pairs with tubes. I personally prefer tubing the 880 over any of the 600 series

I donā€™t think thatā€™s been overlooked. It just wasnā€™t directly related to the DT880ā€™s power needs conversation. I agree with you though, the DT880 on a tube is AMAZING.

Iā€™ve also mentioned it countless timesā€¦ its not as immediately necessary compared to something like an hd600 where imo that headphone needs tubes to be good but the best ive heard the 880 is paired with a bottlehead crack and before that a darkvoiceā€¦ I know wave has mentioned it as well as m0n and othersā€¦ I guess weā€™ve grown wary of mentioning it lolā€¦ though I do understand people not wanting to sift through 500+ comments

Maybe try oval pads instead of round ones. Iā€™m really enjoying the zmf lambskins on my 770 250.