Need help tweaking desktop set-up

Hi fellow music lovers! I’m new here, but have lurked around for a couple of weeks. I have a cursory understanding of how an audio system is set up, but I need your help in figuring out how I can best add the new subwoofer that I received for Christmas into the desktop speaker set up that I have in my office.

Here’s a basic rundown of what I have…

Source: iPhone Xs
DAC: Fiio Q5S (connected via USB to Lightning)
Tube Buffer/Pre-Amp: iFi iTube 2 (connected via line out from Q5S to RCA inputs)
Amplifier: Topping PA3
Speakers: Micca RB42

The subwoofer that I am adding underneath my desk is an Elac Debut 2.0 S10.2. The sub just has one set of RCA LFE inputs.

I picked up a set of those gold colored RCA splitters, which I connected to the RCA outputs on the iFi Tube 2. I then ran two sets of RCA cables off of the splitter, one going to the new subwoofer and the other to my Topping PA3 amplifier. It worked! But here’s where I need some help…

My iFi Tube 2 is currently set up as simply a “tube buffer.” Which means that the volume on my system is being controlled by the PA3. The problem with that is I have to then adjust the volume on the subwoofer independent of the main speakers sitting on my desk. So my questions are…

Is the solution simply to change the settings on the iFi Tube 2 from “buffer” mode, to “preamplifier” mode? This should then allow me to control the volume on both the speakers and subwoofer together right? Which if so, leads me to another question… what level do I set the volume on the PA3?

Thanks for helping me think this through. I’m hoping I’m on the right track and can make this work with what I have already. THANKS in advance for your advice!

Yes, just max out the volume on your pa3 (or a bit below max) and turn on preamp mode on your ifi and you should be good to go :+1:

2 Likes

Awesome! Thank you!