Need help with Hifiman Sundara + Chord Mojo

Thx for the advice again. Lake people g103 that you’ve mention is it the same as g103s phone amp?

1 Like

Hello,
Yes, the Lake People G103S should be the one with Rca connectors.
There is the same one again, only it has XlR connectors and the letter changes.
I don’t know if Thomann has the cable I’m talking about.
Otherwise this one has it.

A different amp can definitely help. But don’t expect a massive difference.

If a different amp and time to acclimate doesn’t change your opinion then sundara is probably just not the right option.

If your new to the hobby, it’s easy to get the impression the Sundara is universally loved. But in reality, many don’t particularly like it. Which is why threads like this will blow up

To tell you the truth I love sundara I love how clear the voice I can hear and sometime when I listen to my favourite song I can feel like the singer is inside the room with me. I did not have any bit of regret of getting my sundara at all. That why I want to push my first little companion to its limit :slight_smile: :wink:.

Ps. After some time I now start to feel like it more warm already, I’m not sure why maybe becasue I open it whole day whole night to burn-in. But as mention I will definitely try to pair the amp with it.

**Ps more: Can you suggested the upgrade version of sundara with the same sound signature and nice soundstage to me? price range around 1000 - 2000 euros.

2 Likes

Hello,
If you are looking for an upgrade to the Sundura, the next logical choice would actually be the Lcd 2C in my opinion.
Or the Dan Clark Aeon 2 and there’s also a Hifiman in that price range.

The Audeze Lcd 2C has a warm character and also goes very deep.
The bass is amp dependent, the rest of the mid and treble are divine.
If the amping fits and boosts the bass range, it’s a miracle for me personally.
I have never regretted the purchase.

Thanks to it, I have come down a bit from the bass head range.
I don’t know what the other two headphones are like.
Again, it’s a matter of taste at the end of the day.
By the way, Hifiklubben sells the Audeze in Germany.
Thomann is the address for the Aeon 2 and unfortunately I don’t know for the Hifiman.

If you are aiming for one of the 3, I would definitely go one step higher with the amp.

Thank you again!! I definitely step up my game but probably another next 3-6 months. In that case, which amp you suggested that could also drive one of that 3 choices you mention.

Go into the section and read through it, maybe you will find an approach where @Mon has described.

Spontaneously, I would throw the new Singxer Sa1 into the room.
Schiit Asgard 3 comes to mind.
Maybe a tube amp like the Feliks Echo 2 or Darkvoice wouldn’t go amiss.
Monolith Liquid Platinum would only be importable, unfortunately quite expensive.

So this would be for a sundara in eu paired with a mojo as the dac? At the 200 ish range the 103s is a great pick imo. Moving up, you can go for a g111 for something neutral clean and technical but reasonably organic and non fatiguing, a flux fa12s for something more warm, smooth, and relaxed, and the aforementioned singxer is also a decent choice

I would absolutely not go darkvoice imo, that’s a really unimpressive combo with a sundara. The echo is alright although wouldn’t be my first pick with a sundara, I would want to go solid state at this price range

1 Like

Thank you Mon for your insights.:+1:
I hadn’t been 100% sure about the Dark voice but still have mentioned on the other side.

Thank you Mon :slight_smile: Your opinion is very helpful to me

1 Like

@M0N What do you think if I buy g111 and in the future I buy something like Focal Clear or Arya. Is it possible to use g111 to drive both and how good matchup it is?

I think that’s a pretty solid option for the clear. I do think it can drive the arya but it’s not the ideal amp for it in the price range imo.

Could you recommend an amp that can scale up to Arya. I’m not sure yet about my next headphone but it definitely in range 1000-2000 so I want to just invest in amp one time.

So personally if I were to pick an amp that can drive the arya and clear really well I’d likely consider something like a violectric v280, burson soloist 3xp, or an auralic taurus mk2 for something around the 1k mark. I do think a bryston bha 1 could be an option but imo that can get a bit too warm and bodied with the clear for me. Reason I suggest going higher is because both these headphones will greatly benefit from going this high, and it puts you in a very nice spot performance wise. It’s hard to find an amp that can handle the arya and clear equally well since they both have very different needs

Ok Thx you so much I will decide base on your suggestion

To further clarify, the v280 (v281 if you can find one used) is a good choice if you like something a bit more neutral warmer wider, it has good control and impact, nice tonal density, a bit of warmth and some treble smoothness without being overwhelming, wide and spacious stage, and solid dynamics, and detailed but not in your face. In the future pairs well with a dac like a soekris dac2541. This would prioritize both the arya and clear almost equally imo (with a slight focus on the clear)

The soloist 3xp is more neutral slightly warmer and forward, pretty punchy and impactful, good body, more forward with it’s detail, well extended overall, stage is reasonably large but not stand out, decent dynamics, fairly quick. Pairs well with a dac like a holo cyan or perhaps a denafrips. This would slightly prioritize the arya but the clear is also nice

The taurus mk2 is more relaxed warmer smoother without being overdone, a bit softer in impact, smaller stage but lots of depth, great control and pretty speedy, slightly rolled on either end, good detail, good microdynamics, great timbre and great tonal density. Pairs well with something like a bifrost 2 or schiit yggy a2, or chord qutest. This would also be about equal priority imo but slight lean towards clear performance

The bha-1 is pretty nice for something very warm and rich, and forward, while still being pretty technical in the end. Great tonal density and timbre, pretty reasonably large stage, good impact and punch, decent control, nice dynamics, solid detail. I’d pair it with something like a dangerous music convert 2, or crane song solaris (or bryston bda-2). Would prioritize the arya a bit more

1 Like

XI Audio has some good amps for planars…

1 Like

A broadway would be pretty excellent, although imo with the arya it does slightly feel lacking a bit compared to other options in the price point, but if he swapped to a hek v2 instead that would be pretty viable. No clue about availability outside the us though

1 Like

I think i decide to go with G111 on next week (Or when it will be available) After careful research I think I would go for mid fi before go to high end like Arya. So i think g111 from what you say it would be really nice pair with anything under 1500€. I think i want to try something like:

Audeze LCD 2C
focal clear

Also, do you have other choice for mid fi headphone that could probably match my taste (Listen mostly with vocal and acoustic with only some occasion with hiphop or metal) beside from those 2 and can pair well with g111 ?

Ooosp sorry my mistake!