Need ideas for budget ($300~) setup

I’ve been using the Razer V2X for the past 6 months and they’re fine, but I’m tired of having a super long cable routed to the back of my motherboard, so I’d like to get a dac/amp (a combo? can I just get a dac?) that sits on the top of my desk for easier access; but if I’m going to do that I think I’d also want to look at some kind of headphone upgrade. I currently have the KSC75, Starfields, CAL!, and the Sony WF-1000MX4. I kinda like the overall sound of the starfields but they don’t have much low end at all for me. The Blackshark V2X have decent enough low end (with eq) but everything else is… subpar for music. the CAL! isn’t that great either, nothing about the sound particularly seems great to me so I don’t use them.

TLDR I’d like something with good low end but also not while not totally sacrificing everything else + also being in budget for around $300-$350 or less getting me a dac/amp + the headphone, if that’s possible?

1 Like

Kind of a hard one, I feel like most open backs at that budget just won’t have enough bass for your taste, maybe just save some cash and get a k371, or maybe look into the sivga phoenix.

sivga phoenix look interesting… what would be good to pair them with dac/amp wise?

Nah, he can get something like suede padded shp9500 and get some pretty hefty bass, beyers can do the same with a pad swap. Not so sure on sennheiser but 599 and 558 are pretty bassy. X2hr is of course bassy since it’s a warm headphone. Tygr 300r fits in there but has more control. Sivga is alright but may not fit everyone’s head. Most of what I listed can be ran ampless actually and still fit that bassier sound with a fair balance

If you want my recommend though? Extend budget grab argons or a nighthawk carbon if you can find one(both semi open)

Almost forgot helios and zeus fit in this as well

1 Like

I think I’ve heard they run of anything basically, could get like an apple dongle and be done but the best option for you imo is to save a bit more for the harmonicdyne zeus + a fiio k5, also I mostly dislike all the stuff @Falenkor mentioned lol(haven’t tried argons cause I can’t get them here) but yeh I’d say save a bit more for the zeus + amp (or maybe the argons idk)

The phoenix do have a ton of complaints about pad size tho, but if the cal! fit you those should be ok too…

Edit: just remembered there’s the meze 99 too if you do go closed

To be fair, not alot of info on sound preference to go on plus the budget is pretty limiting. Quite a few good closed backs for bass… not alot in the open back

I second the tygr 300r.

The tygrs have the low end you might be looking for while not being the main focus of the sound. Mids are present but a little pushed back. Smooth warm and fun. Different from the ksc75 and starfields in presentation. The tygrs highs are smoothed off.

They will benefit from a dac/amp but a btr5(doesnt support mics) can get the job done if your looking for something affordable and portable. Should be able to find the tygrs and btr5 for 300 especially if your able to find them used or on sale.

Another suggestion would be the sennheiser 58x. Lively, mid forward and so enjoyable having good impact in the bass. Bass isnt overdone and is just hits the spot imo but it doesnt rumble. I cant really explain it better since i just got these in. Doesnt bloat into the other regions and the highs also have some sparkle. The mids are the star here.

58x is easier to drive and so you can save money for a better dac amp if youd like for down the road or look for a dac amp combo you like within your budget. The 58x was selling for 120 on drop. Seen some go used for tiny bit cheaper.

Also think the 58x is neutral but lively with its bass and highs which would be closer to a neutral sound like the ksc75 and starfields where i guess the starfield are more neutral while the ksc75 is neutral bright. I think if your looking to stick with something that is similiar, the 58x could be an option for you where the bass has a little bit more emphasis along with the mids making for a fun lively in your face sound. They also sound great on tubes.

I mean he is using a (bass boosted?)razer, but yeh it’s weirdly hard to find good bass around that price

I’ve got one :eyes:, might possibly lower the price on it but they’d still need to raise the budget for the DAC/amp.

1 Like