Need Receiver/ Connection Recommendation For Easy Listening/Nighttime setup

I have a Bunch of Bose Acoustimass Cube Speakers.
I also have a Pair of 8’ subs.
The cube speakers take speaker wire as connections, and the pair of Subs take banana plug wires.

My idea is to place the Bose Speakers intricately to surround myself in sound Whichever area I’m in and have the subs set wherever I can. Not necessarily 7.1 as I’ll mainly be listening to music.

The issue is, I don’t know how to connect all of these speakers into one thing, where I can plug my audio source (Phone, Record Player, Computer, etc.) into.

I have a feeling the answer I’m looking for is a receiver. If that is the only answer, then I’m going to have a problem finding a way to connect the stereo Subs. There are no receivers that I know of that have left and right subwoofer channels, that are connected via banana plugs.

On the other hand, I do have an audio interface, But those do not take in speaker wire, Banana Plugs OR RCAs for that matter.

The recommendations don’t have to be super expensive. As most of the time it’s going to be used for easy listening, and when I’m going to sleep.

I just hate that these speakers aren’t being used. They are really nice to me.

Do the subs have a electrical plug ?

1 Like

How many is “a bunch”? There are 4 channel amplifiers for studio use.
Depending on what audio interface you have, that may be workable.

Depends. Could make Front L and Front R into “full range” and use a stereo crossover to split into speaker and sub frequency range.

They do not.
They just have the red and black banana plug connections

I have alot. At least 10 laying around. That being said, I don’t need to connect all of them. I know for sure 2 speakers and two subs. Maybe 2 more speakers for good measure. That would round it to a 6 channel?

Hmm so, Interface → Various Channel Amplifier → Stereo Crossover → results?

Think youre gonna need a crown xls 1502.

So you could buy one 4 channel amp for the speakers and another 2 channel one for the subwoofers.
Edit: Or buy a multi-channel amplifier for home-theater use.

Depends on what interface you have. When you just want Stereo, you could run the Stereo from your interface to a crossover and then split the high-frequency for the 4 speakers (so front and rear speakers produce the same sound).
Essentially a Quadraphonic setup.

1 Like

Thank you! The picture helps me see it better in my mind.
Would you personally go with the crossover and amplifier thing? Or would you get a receiver?

Me personaly liking physical knobs and having an affinity for stage/studio/PA gear, would get a crossover and amplifier.

Buying a reciever is the more reasonable option though.

Do Receivers have built in crossovers? Or would I need a crossover as well?
I’m very new to this whole thing. So I apologize for bothering

Recievers generally have crossovers for Subs, or in the case of actual 5.1 signals they pass the Sub channel to the Sub.
Most Subs have a low pass filter, and you can get away normally with fidling with a combination, adjusting the Subs filter to match the speaker natural rolloff. But it’s never perfect and a real crossover stops the speaker from having to actually deal with the very low frequencies, which tends to make the speakers sound better.

1 Like