Need recommendations for good competitive FPS headphones

Both work fine in my opinion but I worry that you may be sensitive to the treble or not like the sound… it’s a hit or miss with beyers. I would say it doesn’t hurt to try them. I would easily recommend the 880 over the 990 due to sharpness… unless you can manage to tame that sharpness it’s a not a good idea in my opinion and 880s are a bit more forgiving in that regard. Both are good in soundstage… of course 990 has more staging than 880 due to the fact that 990 is fully opened and 880 is semi opened though I still recommend 880 as your first bright headphone. If you feel the need to upgrade from there and like brighter headphones I highly encourage instead saving up and trying to pin down the 1990 its expensive but can potentially be an end game result as its literally one of the absolute “best”(subjective) for competitive gaming outside of much more expensive headphones with in my opinion Sennheiser HD800S having the absolute best in class right now for a competitive gamer(though this headphone here is $1,600 wihile 1990 ranges around $400 quite often)

Make sure to grab the “edition” of the dt series so you have the straight cable. and 250 ohms works just fine… its what I started with. Make absolute sure you have a good return policy and sit down with them… even better though if you have something laying around to compare the sound of the headphones too whether its a set of earbuds, another headphone, speakers. whatever this way you get teh general idea of what your listening to.

In the case that you find the dt 880 far too bright there are indeed alternatives… in the case you do not like the brightness… you can feasibly switch to the Tygr 300R which is a close to neutral treble headphone with extremely large staging and laser accurate imaging… while you lose the treble benefit it does not lose its placements… you just need to pay a bit more attention to your sounds. ALternatives to that would have recessed bass and would be up to you such as AKG k702

I will buy them on the Beyerdynamic site, since I live in The Netherlands which they actually ship to. Just to make sure, this is the one right? beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition: Premium hi-fi headphones, semi-open.

Recommended dac/amps still the same with the 250 ohm version?

Yep, same amp

and yeah, thats the one

Will buy both the IFi Zen DAC and the DT 880’s this weekend, will most likely arrive this thursday. Is it difficult to set these things up or not? If I can’t find out how to set these up, I will come back here on the forum. Once it is set up I will let you know how I feel about the DT 880’s.

Have a great night/afternoon (wherever you’re from :smiley:)

Pretty simple. Take the ifi zen out of the box… plug in the usb to the back of the unit and plug it into the pc… then plug the headphone in to the port. May need to turn on high gain. Power Match is high gain / low gain if light is on its on high gain(should be the button on the far left) after that get it to where you want and your all set… You can use peace apo to download the software to equalize and adjust the sound of the headphones accordingly(just don’t forget if you adjust it add a bit of preamp so the sound doesn’t go abit off.)

Don’t crank the volume off the bat… get it to where its plenty loud for your pc at around 50% of volume

Take it easy, hope you like it!

So I think I got another problem. I am looking for usb dekstop microphones but I don’t think they will fit on my desk with the way that I position my keyboard.

The space between the LED Razer logo en the edge of the desk is 11 cm long, that is where I would position my microphone, but most microphone (stands) are longer than that (like the HyperX QuadCast that I wanted to buy) so it won’t fit (right?).

Idk about boom arms since there are just fucking huge and look like shit. Would any like modic or stuff like that work with the DT 880’s? and what mic would you recommend. Really don’t now where else to ask for help/suggestions.

Thanks in advance

If a boom arm or desk mic is out of the question and in this case it appears relatively cramped so might be out of the question in your case. Modmics attach to any headphone… so will work just fine

Condensor mics are for soundproof rooms. Dynamic mics are typically xlr which need an audio interface and are designed for live concerts despite this cancel a lot of background noise out and are good for streaming. Modmics attach to any headphone just in general and are good uni runs a bit sensitive so id say either usb or wireless with wireless lasting about 10 hours battery. Lavalier mics are decent and attach to your shirt cable or alternative, lastly attachable mics utilize a headphones 3.5mm / 2.5mm detachable mic jack and plug in such as v -moda boom pro

The V-MODA BoomPro sound very good for only 40 dollars, there is no way of attaching this to the DT 880’s without modding them right? (which I don’t prefer)

The Antlion modmic is stupidly expensive (doesn’t even sound that good) so that is a no go.

that is indeed correct that you would need to modify it to use such a mic.

sounds alright depending on what video you listen to however, you cannot expect crystal clear quality as you really only stand to gain that from a dedicated mic like an xlr

Like every headphone that has the sound desires that I need for gaming/casual music listening had a non detachable cable right? Like there are not really any alternatives to the DT 880 that have a detachable cable (for the V-MODA) with the same sound performance or better right? Willing to up my budget to 300 euros since I am saving money with the mic.

Hmm, Sennheiser 58x has a duel sided cable however you can switch over to the HD 598 which is incredibly similar this uses a 2.5mm detachable cable so you can get a mic like this https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Compatible-QuietComfort-Sennheiser-Headphone/dp/B01NAQWCGS

shp9500 has a 3.5mm jack for v - moda. Currently no word for shp9600 or x3 from philips as they only just recently released and I won’t have my official copy for a couple weeks on that one.

DT 880 can be modified by you or someone else provided you can get the service done (people will generally want around $60 - $80 for the modification) and make use of v -moda boom pro otherwise a modmic will suffice.

Even in the $300 range it will be relatively a bit of a struggle in my opinion. Especially to beat out the DT 880. AKG k702 is nice and all but if I remember there was no mic attachment to it due to a special plug. AD 700x is kind of bad in my opinion and uncomfortable. Tygr has an attached cable. Helios and sundara are duel sided. Most of the time a detachable 3.5mm isn’t really the case

Boom arm it is then…

lol sounds like you want the best mic quality. If that’s what you want to do by all means. I see nothing wrong with going a modmic honestly quite convenient so you don’t have a mic in your face with a big ol boom arm

Not at all actually, just think the price of the modmic is pretty expensive compared to desktop usb mics. I don’t stream or make youtube video’s or anything like that so I will look into the modmic. Do you have any of the modmics and what is your experience with them? The wired versions seem very annoying

I started with the uni that was an immediate return it was far far too sensitive for regular use for me. Switched it to the wireless while convenient I felt the battery life was a bit annoying if that makes sense as 10 hours is just kinda meh… and I never really remembered to put it on the charger. Went with usb and I appreciated it as much as modmic as far as sound quality is concerned it was honestly pretty shockingly good.

Granted a lot of people in videos like streamers will use a mixer or something for their mic quality and you can even use Peace APO to alter the sound quality or overall voice of your modmic. The usb modmic is stil quite nice but agreed very expensive.

However, the trade off is mics such as the usb microphones you should realize tend to be “condensor” microphones they are not dynamic. Condensor mics are designed for studio use in a sound proof room in other words… any sound thats in that room that mic is designed to capture that means your keyboard, controller, mouse, whatever the hell in your background, everything I even had one(snowball actually) capture me from all the way in the kitchen so pretty wild. As for the alternative which is Dynamic these are microphones that musicians use during live concerts they are designed to focus on the vocals and block out external noise however these typically are xlr microphones which require an interface which incurs a further cost. You can of course get a hybrid like my first streamer microphone which was Samson Q2U which is a dynamic usb/xlr hybrid odd but works but don’t expect ther to be a vast variety on this unfortunately lol. I would ask around for good mic recommendations if your looking for a good boom mic. However the audio interface alone is going to run around atleast $50 if you need one plus the mics aren’t usually cheap.

An audiophile told me that the custom studio didnt sound as good as the headphones in the dt series and that there are better options out there. They then recommended an open back pair, but im still looking for a closed back pair.
Budget - under $200

Source - Gaming PC (ill be using the tomahawk b450 motherboard)

Requirements for Isolation - yeah i need good isolation

Will you be using these Headphones in Public? - No

Preferred Type of Headphone - over ear and closed back

Preferred tonal balance - i guess a neutral sound signature cause i listen to different genres of songs like from time to time i listen to frank sinatra then classical music and even music like twenty one pilots

Preferred Music - i dont know what its specifically called but i mostly listen to Twenty one pilots, Panic at the disco, half alive, green day, frank sinatra, and rarely i listen to classical music. I would like headphones thats good for most genres in case if i may find a new genre that i would like to listen.

I started researching and stuff then i found the dt 770 pro 80 ohm but i heard that some people didnt like its v shaped sound signature for other music genre besides hip hop and pop music. Also its cable isnt detachable; and even though i will only use these at home, i still dont want to take the risk of buying these cause once you detroy the cable you will either have to buy another pair or do a cable mod. So i started looking for other headphones (even tried looking at gaming headsets but most of the gaming headsets ive seen has muddy bass and lots of audiophiles has recommended to buy audiophile headphones instead of gaming headsets) then i came across the ath mx50, beyerdynamic custom studio, and the akg k550.I heard that the dt 770 pro 80 ohm’s sound quality was better than the mx50. And from what i understand the custom studio is just the same thing with the dt 770 but its customizable and it has a neutral sound signature (Idk about the differences in sound stage). For the k550 i just didnt like its design. So right now im finding for a better pair of headphones than the beyerdynamic custom studio. Ill be using it for casual music listening and gaming in games like battlefield V, skyrim, open world rpgs, and yeah mostly battlefield. I heard that gaming with open back is better but in my home its quite noisy and i would really like to have the noise isolation so im going for closed back headohones. I would like to still experience great sound when gaming like i could actually hear where guns are being fired, if an airplane is above me, or where explosions are coming from. So i guess i would also like a decent soundstage for gaming. I dont really know what sound stage i prefer because im kinda new to this audiophile thing. But i heard that the neutral sound stage was the most preferred signature fo all genres. My only question is if ill still enjoy my causual music listening with a netral sound sig. I used the sony mdr xb55ap; i like it but the drums and bass arent really that clear. it just sounds muddy and unpleasant to hear sometimes. I do enjoy them but i was hoping to buy new headphones to further enjoy it. Lile headphones that makes the sound very very clear. So in conclusion great headphones under $200 for casual music listening and gaming. I would like to have a great experience in the causual music part and also in my gaming sessions and… Yeah thats all.
Any recommendations of headphones to buy instead of the beyerdybamic custom studio? Or… Is the custom studio the best option for me?
casual music listening
(idk if this helps but here’s a list)
-music
-twenty one pilots
-panic at the disco
-green day
-half alive
-classical music
-beethoven
-mozart
-bach
-50s - 90s
-freddie mercury
-frank sinatra
-gaming
-what i need
-good imaging
-good surround sound
-good soundstage
-good isolation
-type
-closed back
-build quality
-last more than 3years
-detachable cable
-durable earcups and headband design
-budget = $200 and below
-mainly use for
-gaming
-games
-battlefield
-elder scrolls
-other open world rpgs
-casual music listening
-slightly v shape or neutral
-every sound is clear
-no muddy bass
Would you still recommend the custom studios for me or is there a better pair?

hoo boy thats quite a lot to try to cover on. alright so I want to sum a few things up here real quickly without writing a book. Edit: I tried to cut as many corners here as possible… turned out to be a book anyway… my bad

First off, don’t sit and listen to every persons opinion on this not even mine. This hobby is extremely niche and subjective and only you yourself know your own personal sound preferences. We can try to recommend a audio set from what we hear however give you a good example. I love the dt 990… others despise it… scream to the heavens its too bright or its bad and yet its one of my favorites they hear sibilance and its pain to the ears I hear a lovely orchestra with very vibrant cymbals and violins. It’s due to these differences we don’t agree.

Secondly, Never use onboard audio unless you absolutely have to. It’s awful, it more often than not destroys the sound, changing from an amp to onboard audio is going to give you a completely different sound, lots of times the onboard audio just won’t have enough power behind it to properly drive that headphone.

Third, There is no true neutral headphone. Looking for the “best” or “perfect” headphone is futile and will not happen. Absolute neutrality is almost impossible just due to how things are and how we hear things differently however, there are some that get relatively close to good neutral tonality.

Fourth, the sound device you brought up is a set of earbuds of which you mentioned are too bassy… in their name it states they have “extra bass” and your not the only one who has commented that the bass on that item is very overblown you get that from time to time with this “extra bass” where its just muddy or boomy and it bleeds into the mids causing a pretty bad sound.

Fifth, trying to nail every single genre in a headphone is a horror show. Neutrality is nice such as 58x Jubilee(open back) however, for someone like me who likes bright and orchestra or for a basshead we would see neutrality as boring… theres a lot of genres where you just feel it could be better and its noticeable after a while especially after you sit with multiple pieces of audio equipment. This isn’t to discourage you from staying with a more balanced sound signature it’s just to let you know that more than likely you may need to consider the possibility of more than one headphone unless you are truly happy with that balanced approach.

Sixth, understandable but unfortunate when it comes to closed back. Open backs will yield better results in gaming especially something like battlefield.

Seventh, to explain precisely what you need considering what your gaming on. Battlefield requires a large soundstage(which is relatively hard to find in a closed back especially under $200 its actually almost impossible to my knowledge) and as accurate imaging as possible without killing seperation at the same time you need either a neutral or recessed bass in your case would be a neutral sound.

Eighth, The custom studio is by no means the same as the dt 770 and anybody who claims that, well needless to say I fully believe they have no idea what they are talking about… They are similar however The tunings are different, the slider alone puts it apart, the build quality is different, the clamping force is different, the sound quality is different. DT 770 is much bassier and has quite a lot more treble in comparison however, I will agree completely that the dt 770 has a much cleaner and higher quality of sound. The custom series is more of a budget friendly series without all that glaring brightness behind it and is designed simply for customizability for those who want a bit more adjustment in their soundwhile not breaking the bank. It’s by no means bad and still shares that larger soundstage despite being closed. Imaging isn’t as good as the dt 770 however. In the case of neutrality the studio is more balanced than the 770 due to the bass slider allowing you to pull out all that bass however on pc the 770 can do the same by using an equalizer making the 770 the better choice here. The biggest issue however, is the 770 is still bright and quite a bit so to the point it can cause a lot of discomfort if you are at all sensitive to treble. In comparison if you wanted neutrality however, CS over there is the obvious pick as it’s only a true V signature by pushing that bass slider. For both headphones however, I recommend a pad swap as it can clear up any potential issues with either the 770 or CS.

Nineth, I cannot stress this enough. Please, do not take anything you hear in this hobby for granted or as the “must be true because he said it” mentality. That goes for reviewers like zeos and all the others. Just like any of us here they too are posting what they think and how they hear things. Granted zeos and them do have much more experience with audio equipment it doesn’t mean they are always right. Hell I saw DMS rate DT 990 on his tier list as a bad headphone and zeos claimed you need a power plant amp to drive the dt 880 600 ohm both of which I extremely disagree with especially on the power plant claim.

Tenth, I think the best option here is to either have you go try multiple pieces of audio equipment or try to find you a flexible headphone as in something that can change its signature. There are a few but it tends to be a bit costly. Custom Studio is one such headphone as by a change in pads it can change signatures plus its bass slider making it more versatile dt 770 does not have this benefit and tends to stay a V signature however it does in my opinion clear up a bit when changing to a more perforated style pad it remains very bright regardless.

HD 598C while I do not like recommended this one its still pretty neutral and may be a bit up your alley here. Soundstage is still relatively accurate and average with its imaging as well however smaller than its open back brother.

Shure 840 probably the most “neutral” headphone I have ever sat with for cheap pricepoints. However, narrow soundstage is the issue here… This headphone is pretty damn clinical though.

Takstar Pro 82. Has a bass slider and a slight lower treble dip then a bit of a peak. Can go from a very slightly brighter headphone yet balanced out to a relatively warmer U like shape up to a V shape. This was the starting creation point of the MH751 gaming headset and still remains good even now. Close to sounding like a larger soundstage but still relatively accurate with its imaging Mids and highs are a bit of a focus point unless you use the bass slider.

Sennheiser 280 pro New version. Slight dip in the upper bass and could be better on its extensions. More mid centric and has more towards that natural sennheiser house sound. Treble has a ever so slight peak in it sounds like from the mid treble however a hard roll off in the upper treble. Average soundstage good imaging

Creative Aurvana Live: responds well to pad swaps. Starts out slightly warm with a lower treble roll off point. Has a narrow soundstage till you switch to thicker pads of which it becomes relatively average.

Audio Technica M40x: Absolutely demands a pad swap right off the bat. Starts as a subtle V signature. Imaging is good here. Soundstage becomes rather larger or more slightly above average after a thicker pad swap however it tends to keep that signature depending on the style of pads you choose. Velours will lean out the extra bass and make the headphone rather bright. Suedes are a pretty good balance of both. Leathers increase the bass dramatically.

Beyerdynamic Custom Studio: Largest soundstage of the list shared by the DT 770(it’s hard just in generall to find a large soundstage in closed backs but like I said at this price point it’s just not common like at all large even in this case is still relatively average if you compare it to an open back). Starts as a neutral bright headphone can turn into a V signature by using the bass slider. Pad swaps alter the sound pleasantly. Switching to something such as suede converts into more of a V signature and brings in the highs more however removes some soundstage.

Few notes. Switching pads out to an airy velour will usually increase the soundstage and depth and potentially make for better imaging this is due to the escaping sound and airy material… however this also will drain your bass out of the sound by a certain extent.

Sennheiser may have that clean sound your looking for more so than the rest on this list. Would probably recommend the HD 598 C in this case for you as I feel its better than 280 in comfort level and overall build. Plus it has a 2.5mm jack allowing it to have a boom mic for gamers. Otherwise still the beyer studios or audio technica m40x

1 Like

Mate thank you so much for gicing such an effort to tell me all this. I actually didnt know that. I am actually kinda new to this audiophile thing, and the headphones ill be buying soon will be my first pair. I just wanted to get the most of my money. Thanks for clearing things up. Ill try to try on different pairs so that I can be more knowledgeable of what sound sig or which type of headphones I prefer. Thanks again mate, I actually really needed to know that hehe. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Just received the Ifi Zen Dac today, but the delivery of the dt 880’s are delayed for a week…
There is no point in plugging my Logitech G Pro headset into the Zen Dac is it?

Not particularly no, won’t hurt it as long as you keep the volume nob and gain on low.

1 Like