Need recommendations for good competitive FPS headphones

Understandable, took me a bit to write all that so I tried to be pretty direct about it without being harsh lol. It’s completely understandable to get the most out of your money. I would still say one from that list or the dt 770 itself if you don’t mind a bit of equalization and can handle the brightness. A good test on treble is if you have any stereo system or other sound source where you can edit the sound traits… go to the treble and crank it to maximum now put on some vocals and cymbals where you hear a lot of the SSS sounds. the S sound is where a lot of sibilance is found and if your sensitive to it your ears will definitely tell you. If your not sensitive like I am not and may even find that sound enjoyable and cleaner than I would just say grab the DT 770 potentially and drop out the bass with an equalizer for competitive play using peace apo’s board dip the bass and give it a bit of pre amp(bar at the top) this will clear up that bass nicely enough for use in competitive gameplay and you can switch it back when your doing other things… Though keep in mind unlike the others I recommended 770 is quite a bit demanding… you will need an amp/dac to drive it and make it sound right. If on a budget pick up IFI ZEN DAC if you can swing $200 though pick up monoprice liquid spark + topping D10. DT 770 sounds at it’s best in the 250 ohms since 600 ohm was discontinued. 80 ohms has more bass and is commonly accepted as well though I would recommend 250 as it sounds better and is the more refined in sound quality… sounded cleaner to me

If your looking still for neutrality… studio, sennheiser, or if a subtle V m40x will suit you rather fine. Sennheiser will have the most neutrality

For anyone looking for a cheap microphone + boom arm, I returned my HyperX Quadcast and bought the Fifine t669 which is amazing (especially for 70 euros).

So my headset is coming tomorrow and I wanted to setup the Ifi Zen Dac but how short is this cable, like holy f. There is no way for the Dac to fit on my desk and then reach my pc with that short of a cable

Very true it has just enough to pretty much reach the pc being next to it. May need an extension or just pick up a longer cable… They are pretty cheap. Could also get a powered usb hub as well if you want which can go well if you want to manage cables a bit better and give you more usb slots

Had both of these in house… FIfine is nice for a budget option but I felt the quadcast had better clarity to it. However, I still wouldn’t generally recommend a condensor microphone for a gamer like at all due to just how sensitive they are generally less your in a sound proofed room.

So the longer cable is coming tomorrow so I can properly set it up but for now I can test the 880’s using the short cable. I plugged the headphones in the right way right (unbalanced)?

(edit) with windows (pc) volume at 50% and power match on, I have to set the dac to 80% volume to get my desired sound.

(edit 2) Liking the true bass function when listening to music.

Yep, thats the unbalanced port. Balanced you need to modify an 880 and get a seperate cable. Balanced port will have much more power behind it.

Sounds about right. You can put it around 2 oclock on the dac probably and just raise windows volume a bit more so theres not so much voltage going to the headphone if you prefer.

it’s a very nice addition but it doesn’t agree with a lot of headphones as it tends to bloat or distort. 880s though are very bass lite so it should work well.

Thank you for the reply, will test the headphones tonight! Would you recommend any audio software and what settings should I use in that program?

only one I use like I have said is Peace APO if I want to make any adjustments normally I leave the settings alone.

The top of my head hurts quite alot when using the DT 880’s. I am hoping that this goes away after a few days. Since you have had the 880’s as well, did you experience the same problem and does it go away?

No, the only thing I experienced was a bit of head clamp pressure on the jaw line. The top of the band has a lot of pad so I am not sure the issue there is… Perhaps stretch it for a couple of days if you feel its very tight on the head. You can use its own box to stretch it and leave it for bout 2 or 3 days and it will stay stretched out so less clamp others use things like foam blocks and the like it also breaks in the pads more

1 Like

oh and on the back of the Ifi Zen DAC it says variable or fixed (slider option), which one am I suppose to use? I am using fixed now.

Depends what you need it for.

The variable setting applies volume control to the audio
signal, enabling the ZEN DAC to perform as a preamp feeding a power amp or active speakers. The fixed
option bypasses the volume control, fixing the output at 4.2V (balanced) or 2.1V (single-ended) for
connection to an external preamp or integrated amp.

Taken directly from ifi

Don’t understand any of this tbh lol so idk what to use

lol, leave it on fixed unless your using a seperate amp or active speakers

I have the Blue Yeti which is great. most desk mics will make you sound quiet just 15-30cm away so best to put on a boom arm, otherwise get a Modmic or Vmoda boom pro.

So I disliked the sound and comfort of the DT 880’s. They were really uncomfortable and I disliked the tight pressure on top of my head. Then I returned the DT 880’s and casually bought the AT MTH MX50’s and they were way more comfortable than the 880’s and I preferred the sound of the MX50’s above the DT 880’s. Still not sure if I will keep the MX50’s tho as the sound is ok, but not really a big improvement from my old headset (Logitech G Pro), which is still the most comfortable headset I have had. So if anyone is still willing to help me find a new pair of headphones, feel free to leave suggestions below. I am raising my budget to around 300 euros.

You got any suggestions for me?

Not particularly able to recommend anything less I know what it is you like and dislike about the 880s. Sounds like you just outright hated the entirety of the 880s which is a bit of an issue, they are built like tanks, quite comfortable amongst headphones honestly less the pads need to be larger, and don’t have skull crushing head clamp alongside a lot of padding used, at the same time have a more ideal signature for competitive gaming. It makes recommendations a bit complicated in that regard. M50x no offense is just kinda trash in my opinion. Better off buying the m40x while is a subtle V signature works just fine just gotta change it’s pads

Really is going to boil down to seriousness of competitive vs casual, pad size your looking for, and build quality as there is alternatives of course just only you will really know if it works for you comfort wise.

I think the problem for me with the dt 880’s sound wise was the bright sound. Idk how to explain but sometimes it gave me a headace. Also the problem with comfort is probs the earpads. My Logitech G Pro has rather large earpads while the MX50’s and DT 880’s have small earpads (imo). I am definitely leaning more towards casual seriousness of competetive since I barely play competetive FPS anymore. I actually think I watch more Youtube, Twitch, Netflix etc than I actually play games nowadays.

edit: sound wise I think I lean more towards Sennheiser sound when I listen to audio demo’s (idk if this helps)

headache, discomfort, or that point where you feel it’s kind of glaring into your head. These are signs that you may have some treble sensitivity.

so padsize wise the logitechs you have use a pad around the 110mm maybe slightly larger meanwhile beyers use 100mm pads.

The neutrality from Sennheiser appeals to quite the amount of people. However, out of the box they tend to have skull crushing head clamp and The pads are relatively smaller and shallow. You can try them out of course if you feel up to it. I wouldn’t recommend the HD 600 series for gamers but 58x Jubilee is probably the best bet in that regard though harder to get since from Massdrop.

You can make use of the m40x if you like it but swap the pads out for a much larger one. The only others that really come to mind here outside of maybe Tygr 300r with using an xl pad swap are potentially the SHP9500 post pad modified, Fidelio X2HR potentially post pad modified, AKG K7XX(potential modifications and pad swaps are available on this one if unable to get k7xx the k712 is the alternative). If you can’t tolerate treble you should be looking into warm / neutral headphones or dark if your even more sensitive

1 Like